Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Steel Drums?

Luv my babies poundcake!

Steel Drums?

I'm in a surf rock band wich just recorded our first independent album. I play the guitar quite well (im not Eddie Van Halen or anything) and I love the ocean, and tropical islands... so I was thinking about buying a steel drum. Does anybody know how much I can get one for cheap? I still want it to sound good though.
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

There are different kinds of pans available, but a melody pan will run you about $1000 for a cheap one. They're almost always made by a luthier because they're not very easy to make well. Like with upright bass, there just really isn't such a thing as a "cheap" instrument unfortunately, so you'll probably be looking into a bit of an investment.

Prices will vary of course, so check around. Another route to take, if you can find one, is to buy a used pan. You're more likely going to be getting the kind of deal you're describing that way than buying new.

Luv my babies poundcake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poparad
    There are different kinds of pans available, but a melody pan will run you about $1000 for a cheap one. They're almost always made by a luthier because they're not very easy to make well. Like with upright bass, there just really isn't such a thing as a "cheap" instrument unfortunately, so you'll probably be looking into a bit of an investment.

Prices will vary of course, so check around. Another route to take, if you can find one, is to buy a used pan. You're more likely going to be getting the kind of deal you're describing that way than buying new.
    Yeah... I don't want to pay 1000 bucks for something I don't know if I'm going to like just yet. I saw something off of e-bay and it was about 150, but I'm assuming from what you told me, that's pretty much a piece of junk.
    Oh well... looks like I gotta start saving my pretty pennies.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I may be overexposing my total ignorance here, but could congas be used instead? I'm not saying they have a similar sound. I'm saying that, you may be able to use congas to get the ritmo you need to achieve the feel.

In any case, the instrument isn't key, eh? Got someone who can hammer those things?
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.