Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Technique MONSTERS

I pity the fool.- Mr T nuclear81's Avatar
    most underrated guys??? Hmm i'd have to say Hendrix isn't given enough credit. Also that Jimmy Page guy played for some popular band in the 70's didn't he? i heard he's pretty good.

I'm sure this could start a fight...so lets not get our panties in a twist after you read this post...it's just my personal oppinion, not yours.

Hendrix and Page are 2 of the most overrated guitarists out there.

Sure they were inovative, but there were dozens of guys that could've done the same thing, but were either not in quite as good of a situation or came along 6 months to a year after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear81
    most underrated guys??? Hmm i'd have to say Hendrix isn't given enough credit. Also that Jimmy Page guy played for some popular band in the 70's didn't he? i heard he's pretty good.

?? Yeah Hendrix is never given any credit, I mean he's never at the top or at least in the top 3 of any 'Best/Most influential Guitarist' list. But the thread is called 'underrated technique monsters' and there ain't no way Jimmy Page could be labelled a technique monster.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-storm
    I'm sure this could start a fight...so lets not get our panties in a twist after you read this post...it's just my personal oppinion, not yours.

Hendrix and Page are 2 of the most overrated guitarists out there.

Sure they were inovative, but there were dozens of guys that could've done the same thing, but were either not in quite as good of a situation or came along 6 months to a year after the fact.
    I agree with you on Page, but Hendrix? Yes sometimes I hear some Hendrix live clips, and errr, some parts make me squint a little. But really, as far as the music goes, no way he's overrated. At that time period, with his stature, there's no way you should put him in the dark quite yet. Sure others could have physically played what he did, but thats not really the point. He had the vision to make that music. Some of his stuff is damn hard to play too, with all the little nuiances, really, his stuff isn't exactly easy. People who say its easy really haven't learned it note for note. Spanish Castle Magic, Castles Made of Sand, Night Bird Flying... really these songs are great. Maybe they aren't super technically difficult, but I disagree that there were plenty of other people all over the place who could have done stuff like that, the avant garde cannot be duplicated so easily. Its only after the fact that it becomes passe.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Mateo,

I actually agree that Hendrix is underrated. Not back then, but these days. I see a lot of young players check him out, and they go "Ugh, his guitar is outta tune, he doesnīt sweep, whatīs so special about him ?" I am not kidding, either.
    I think itīs hard these days to see just how much of an impact Jimi had back then, and how much of an influence he was. Also, even though, technically, his solos might not be as impressive technique-wise like, say, a Vai-solo ( and we have to remember the kind of gear available in the late 60s ), he did some amazingly new and bold stuff.
    I also think a lot of people focus too much on his lead-work and ignore the fact that he a) was a killer rhythm-player ( considering his groove, the fact that he doubled his vocal lines on the guitar, and the chordal stuff he did on "Little Wing" and other songs ) and b) also was a great songwriter... the chords and melodies in "Angel", "Castles Made Of Sand", "Axis Bold As Love", "Little Wing" amo. still is beautiful imo, and seems to be forgotten abotu a lot these days.
    Of course, I can see where those young players are coming from... sometimes, it might be confusing or simply disappointing to hear your first Hendrix-song after listening to Satch, Shawn Lane, Petrucci, Vai and others. It might take some time. Of course, some people might never like his music ( after all, itīs stilla matter of taste ). But I sometimes get sad when I read people post "Man, I checked out a Hendrix albu,m for the first time, and dude... the guitar sounds horrible, and itīs all boring..."
    Just my opinion though
    Eric

Tell ya the truth I never really liked Hendrix until I started playing guitar. But I think every good guitar player has at least a couple Hendrix songs note for note in their bag. Of course I saw this and started listening to the guy. I find his chordal/rhythm stuff fairly challenging, and it takes me a week or more to really learn one his songs with nuiances, and another couple weeks to remember it all (or else I forget it and I start imposing my crapply rhythm work into it, just playing the notes), if the song only has one guitar part. I can't sing and play his songs at the same time either, a really good point. You really have to be comfortable you have to be with the guitar and singing to be able to pull off a lot of his songs. He's underappreciated by a lot of people these days I think. Its not exactly cool in High School to be the music kid who plays Hendrix, I mean, there may be 30 people in your HS playing guitar, and most of em play metal, or punk, or whatever, and theres a couple good ones who play Hendrix, Doors, Led Zep, etc... while all the non-music kids listen to whatever, probably not that stuff. His 60's style lyrics often don't fly with a lot of people, sometimes when I'm chilling with people I put it on and have to take it off 3 songs into it and put on something else. I think its kind of an evolution, I mean Hendrix was kind of the first guitar "virtuoso" (not really but...), who set their guitar on fire, played with their teeth, played behind their head, and just kinda went crazy before him. Now its the 2nd generation of virtuosos, the Vais, Vaughns, Satchs, etc who are IT.
    Also, I think Hendrix's stuff is a much better concept in terms of playing in/with a band. Meeting up with a group for the first time and saying, well can you guys play this repetitive Dm, Am7 goove and I'll lay this shreding Vai solo... or Lets jam on Red House... I know what the person I want to play with.

Last point, I'm currently working on cleaning up "Wait until tommorrow" off the Axis Bold as Love Album, and damn, some of those parts are really tricky, especially keeping the bass note ringing with the thumb while playing the chord vamp beneath it. This style kills my hand (makes it really sore if I practice it exclusively) but its really not easy and makes for great solo stuff. With just an acoustic and your voice, you can have a reallly full sound with this lead/rhythm style that you really can't get shredding, or just strumming chords.

Anyway, if you think Hendrix is overrated, learn some of his songs faithfully, if you still think he's overrated, hats off to ya.
    Last edited by Mateo150; 02-27-2005 at 05:29 PM.

well this post had just tunrned into a hendrix battle lol. basically its EVOLUTION, i believe that in another 40 years the guitar will be brought up another nothch and the bar will be raised just like yngwie raised it in the 80's. but when it comes to good old blues solos no one beats the classics, page, hendrix, clapton etc.
    just watch malmsteen do a cover of purple haze or red house, he totally ****s the solos with tapping and shred. you cant do that stuff, its evil. wrecks the soul of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by satch_master
    just watch malmsteen do a cover of purple haze or red house, he totally ****s the solos with tapping and shred. you cant do that stuff, its evil. wrecks the soul of the music.
    Wow, I thought you loved anything with shreds in it. I hate it when shred heads cover Red House and songs like that, It loses a lot in my opinion.

Aspiring Virtuoso
    in the g3 live in denver dvd.

they cover little wing and at the solo

yngwie - does tons of sweeps (actually misses one note! - he is still human lol)

vai - does his amazing legato when he puts his RH on the nut of the guitar - sounds beutiful.

satch - goes more rythmically with very little sweeps.

when they covered that i thought it was amazing!. really improved over the original. especially the vai solo, when i saw that i thought 'wow....only vai could make it sound that good'.

what cover should rusty cooley do?

i don't want to know.!

I'm sure just about everyone in here reads Guitar1 mag every month, and like (i'm assuming) some of you it has gotten me into listening to other musicians I otherwise would not have. In the last issue they talk a lot about Zakk Wylde (long time fan) but also Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom. This guy is 25yrs old and can rip apart solos like nothing. If he is still around in 10yrs he will be the next eveolutionary step for the guitar. That guy has so much tallent it's humbling.

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arpetude
    in the g3 live in denver dvd.

they cover little wing and at the solo

yngwie - does tons of sweeps (actually misses one note! - he is still human lol)

vai - does his amazing legato when he puts his RH on the nut of the guitar - sounds beutiful.

satch - goes more rythmically with very little sweeps.

when they covered that i thought it was amazing!. really improved over the original. especially the vai solo, when i saw that i thought 'wow....only vai could make it sound that good'.

what cover should rusty cooley do?

i don't want to know.!
    Let's all pray that Rusty turns to another instrument. He can play fast, but who want's to listen to that non-musical garbage? I wonder if he knows any chords....

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear81
    I'm sure just about everyone in here reads Guitar1 mag every month, and like (i'm assuming) some of you it has gotten me into listening to other musicians I otherwise would not have. In the last issue they talk a lot about Zakk Wylde (long time fan) but also Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom. This guy is 25yrs old and can rip apart solos like nothing. If he is still around in 10yrs he will be the next eveolutionary step for the guitar. That guy has so much tallent it's humbling.
    sooooooooo awesome-ly true!!! he's incredible!

as for the bashings ... lets avoid them guys plz plz **on his knees**

edit: arpetude i know you're relatively new here ... just pointing out to you to take it easy on putting judgments on other players and make sure you word it in such a way to specify its just a personal opinion. I don't think you are really qualified to tell what cooley is able to do (of course i could be wrong). and don't take this as a personal attack just trying outline how the forum works - like adults hopefully.
    Last edited by rmuscat; 02-28-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge
    Let's all pray that Rusty turns to another instrument. He can play fast, but who want's to listen to that non-musical garbage? I wonder if he knows any chords....
    Yeah, its really a taste thing, some people want to be "guitar gods". Thats not really my thing but a lot of players seem to get off on it. I don't listen to a lot of those guys who have their own name in the band, I mean, damn, thats saying something already about the music and the mindset of the performers. Theres exeptions of course, and I really like Satriani, plays that shred style but more tastefully than others of that genre. I actually don't read any guitar mags, Zack Wylde, Ok. I'll download a couple songs cuz I'll listen to just about anything once. Been on a Allman bros, Skynard, Zappa kick lately, maybe this will be another exeption to the rule.

Oh, how could I forget John Frusciante from the REd Hot Chili Peppers. That guy is amazing. I've seen them live several times and he comes up with some amazing solos and hardly ever even has to look at what he's doing. That whole band has incredible tallent (too bad they have been wasting it with their last 2 albums)
    Yanni is Hardcore!!!

Aspiring Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by rmuscat
    edit: arpetude i know you're relatively new here ... just pointing out to you to take it easy on putting judgments on other players and make sure you word it in such a way to specify its just a personal opinion. I don't think you are really qualified to tell what cooley is able to do (of course i could be wrong). and don't take this as a personal attack just trying outline how the forum works - like adults hopefully.
    its cool.

i wasn't basing other players.

or was i?, who?,

other people are bashing cooley!.

can i retaliate!

what is cooley able to do. more like.......what is cooley not able to do.lol