Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Phrygian

Strictly Phrygian

Heads up!

Serious imploding memorycard nightmares aside (ruining a take that I was really happy with leaving me with this one, which I'm not, always the way)..

..we move to mode number 3 of our C major scale, Phrygian over an E minor F progression.

I went for the slightly acoustic version myself, as I think of the Phrygian as giving that Iberian flavour that we brits like when we go on holiday to Eyebeefa

..and dutifully I leave a backing track for you to have a go over yourselves. It isn't as long as the one I had but you can blame that on the memorycard crash! (theres only so long you can twang two chords before going Phryg crazy)

BUT I also recognise that there are some shredders itching to blaze a phrygian cum harmonic minor solo over something more substantial, so I have left a metal backing track too based on the same progression.

Apologies in advance for my "metal"...it's errr. not really my thing but I think it should give you enough to do your stuff.

REMEMBER!!: If you choose to demonstrate anything outside the chosen mode then you MUST elaborate for the benefit of we that shall learn from it. Tell us what you did and where you did it!!! Post powertabs if you think it will help.

I didn't this time. But that's becasue I didn't think I did anything worth transcribing, let me know if you do want something powertabbed.

You should though, you really should.

As always...

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I want to do this one, but when I record on Guitar Tracks Pro (Cakewalk thinggy) whenever I hit record, a drum track starts playing over the backing track and starts messing me up. Do you have to turn the arm on, cause thats what I'm doing. Its the only way I can make the record button able to press. Some help please lol.

Here it is...my solo. I messed up on a few parts but I didn't feel like taking another take. And I messed up at the very end, but whatever lol. At the very last part I used a G# note. It went E F G G# or something like that.

Itchy fingers here again Russ, i think it's the mention of Ibeefa y'know.

ok

ill give it a try, but im still cut in half and shattered by this unknown guitarist i saw playing a pop ,funk, rock covers band. man he had to be a session musician , he was so darn good. i just stare awestuck and shocked eating my hamburger. i mean out of nowhere he was doing crazy vai tapping and really fast sweeping. i cant explain, it was perfect technique and shredding and he was brilliant. hed take on satch. im seriouisly hurt, enough rambling. im gonna get stoned but when i come back ill post a solo up. later.

I think this is a crappy take but i am just gonna post it anyways. Awesome backing tracks as usual Russ. I used a "E" Harmonic Minor scale here and there to get a different sound and also a "spanish gypsy scale". If theres any part you wanna see tabbed out or want to know about let me know.

as always go here and click phyrgian
    http://www.angelfire.com/music6/gtrvvampyre/

Todays seemed like an off day so dont expect this to be much.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

really nice man, as always grt vampire, you got great skill. if u dont liek it u gotta be crazy, c if you can post something better even. lol.

kool

just let me say , great baking tracks. love the metal song lol. russ, very technical on the "fresh from phyrigian" lots of notes, but i love it. i started on the metal song and after about ten takes just couldnt lay down a proper solo. i tried and tried but it didnt come naturally, somethings dont need solos and if i force it upon myself it wont sound good in consequence. also, im not used to using phyrigian mode in metal. contrary, the other baking was great , it had a real "for the love of god" vibe to it. i was thinking to do some spanish **** but when i heard the backing it sounded like vai song. and i pretty much knew what i had to say with my solo on the first take, talk about natural. russ, your stop really put me off man lol. so ive soloed nice and slowly over the beautiful soft track enjoy. if i do version 2.0 ill upload it , if its an improvement. later.

Hi everybody! I'm back!!!!! (aww... that was a bit strong I think )

Russ, you know I'm the guy whose PC went wrong and so I couldn't record a note. TILL NOW. Sorry, Russ if you still remember I promised you I'll send my attempt for the Strickly Pentatonic thread, but then came this little problem of my PC.

Now. Here's my take of the phrygian stuff. It's not great, but I would lie if I said I'm capable of sg better. You know, I'm a bad improviser, and I think I'm still in the rut called "playing up 'n down the scale rut". My playing suffers from a lack of melody, and the way things are going now, it seems that I'm procceeding the wrong way, you know the "mindless shredding" instead of "making nusic". (Sh*t, my english s*cks today, sorry). Here and there I tried to include some ...heh... shred, because I have an obsession that if what I play is slow, nobody would like it. Oh, and for example I didn't even use any doublestops, because I didn't yet work on how to include them in my playing. However I ask you all who downloads my file to listen to it from beginning to end, and please write your opinion about what I should work on in my playing in the future, to become a better musician.

Anyway, Russ, what do you think should I post my take also to the dorian thread (or any the other from the strickly series), or are those threads long forgotten?

Oh yes, and you will hear some humming noises when I'm picking the notes on the high e string. That must be the fault of my PC, because on my amp, they sound cool, and there are no noises. So sorry for them
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?

Vampyre, your take was... erhmm.... COOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Well done, Vampyre!
    Hey How long have ye been playing the axe?
    Can you spell T-E-N-D-O-N-I-T-I-S?

Hey satch, i know how you feel. I liked both tracks but i just couldnt lay down a good solo to the metal version. Thanks for the great comments. Ill listen to you guy's takes when i get home cause im at school. I'v been playing for 2 years and i learned improvising just about a month and a half ago (took me a while, dont know why cause i caught on to techniques fast) and iv never improvised in modes until these threads (THANKS RUSS!). Lol, i was a pentatonic freak until these threads. I think ill take your advice satch and do another version tonight or tomorrow if i can find the time, make one im happy with lol. I had this very strong feeling i was trying too hard on the take and the next one ill just do a laid back track.

Hmmmm. I couldnt do a solo over the metal version either...maybe there's something not quite right with it...

Anyway, well done so far guys I like it.

Just note about the alternative scales...I think the minor third to major 3rd is an acceptable move, but unless I'm very much mistaken the gypsy scale has a major third as a matter of course. In which case it would be mroe suitable to work over an Emajor progression and not an Eminor progression, same as Phrygian Dominant I guess.

I think we're all noodling a bit though, myself included. It would be nice to hear someone develop a theme over this one? Anyone up for it?

Bande, welcome! Glad you got your PC sorted out. The other threads are still alive and well with people posting whenver they fancy. Feel free to post your versions in the corresponding thread, would be good to hear them!

P_J, I'll send you a CD of the backing tracks so far and then another for the last modes so you don't have to wait any longer ok. try to sort your PC out though would be good to hear your stuff too!

Satch...thanks again for the kind words but I'm really not sure about the Vai vibe, but as always I'm glad to stir any musical memories that inspire you to play what you want to play!

You might be interested in the Lydian one, I'm really thinking about giving it a "Flying in a blue dream" satriani vibe.

cool stuff guys I'm gonna go for the spanish guitar feel for this one. Post it later tonight hopefully.
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content

I know exactly what you mean Russ, maby thats why i didnt like my take. The next one ill try to make it more melodic and have a theme like you said.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    P_J, I'll send you a CD of the backing tracks so far and then another for the last modes so you don't have to wait any longer ok. try to sort your PC out though would be good to hear your stuff too!
    Anychance of the same treatment here Russ and as soon as my wrist is good enough I'll catch up with ALL MY HOMEWORK!!!!!

Jeez, even typing hurts!
    It also hurts when I do this..and this.............................................. .............
    Well, don't do it then!!!