Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Chord progression..

Chord progression..

Wrote two nice chord progressions in E minor and I need some help transitioning between them.

I´ve written out the last bar of the first progression and the first bar from the second. It doesn´t quite feel right the way it is now, I need a better transition...

Code:
    C 		D		Em9 (no 5)
    E||--------------------------|--------------0-----------||
    B||--------------------------|-----------3-----3--------||
    G||--------------------------|--------0-----------0-----||
    D||--------------------------|-----4-----------------4--||
    A||--------3-----------5-----|--5-----------------------||
    E||-----3-----3-----5-----5--|--------------------------||
    B||--1-----------3-----------|--------------------------||
    I suck at theory so if you could please be nice and maybe take a few minutes and explain how to think for this one. I know of scale degrees and the roman numerals and I know that D is the 7th degree of the E minor scale and thus it will want to resolve back to E. The problem in this case I think is that the bas note in the Em9 (no5) chord is a D. And well... beyond that... I´m stumped... the easiest thing I think would be to simply move the two chords in bar one one scale degree down but it doesn´t sound as good with the rest of the first progression...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Exdeath; 02-20-2005 at 02:30 PM.

If you're looking at the guitar part by itself, the chord in the second bar is a Dmajor chord, not an E minor. Specifically, it's a Dmajor add9, add11 (the two open strings, G and E, being the 11th and 9th, respectively).

If you move the D on the 5th string, 5th fret, down to an E on the 2nd fret, then you will have an Em9 chord. (Maybe that's what you meant to type anyway).

You can actually keep the chords the way you wrote them, as long as you have a bass player playing an E on that last chord. The notes of the voicing you wrote all work on E minor, but due to the lack of an E on the bottom in your voicing, by itself it won't necessarily sound right.

Playing with a band will always make a song sound different. You can get away with some pretty ambiguos chord voicings so long as you have a bass player justifying how all the chords work.
    Last edited by Poparad; 02-20-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Blame Guitar Pro for the wacky chord name :P

Anyway, I´ll try with the bass playing an E over that chord and see how it sounds Thanks a lot..