Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

GtrVamp,

Heres the powertab for the opening bit, basically its a Dmin arp which skips the 2nd string ascending. The descending I just add in a couple of scale tones. And a little up bend and hold at the end!

Hey presto, instant hook!
    Attached Files Attached Files

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Ash, I liked it! But why so staccato? You could let some of those notes ring on!

Satch, Most Impoved Player Award goes to...good job man. My one comment, (since you didnt like my take ) would be, think about playing with the effects more subtle, you can still have distortion and wah but use them in a less extreme way. You know how to use them, no question, but perhaps you want it all, all the time? You know what I'm saying.
    yeah i do tend to go overboard with distortion and effects. i crank my gain up and all the wah and get the most scraziest wah sound. but yeah ill be careful to not go overboard with it or use it to much. i didnt mind your piece russ, not at all, its just a very different style to how i would play a solo. im an agressive player, if u like and i never use clean as much as i should.... whats the next installment? strictly phrigian? keep em coming russ , this is great and i want to do more solos.lol.

my fav version has to be gtr vampire. seriously best tone, best melody lines, great organ solo, then a killer overdiven solo and then back to the catchy melody. its really impressive playing man. my second fav gotta be seattle russ, there is so many mad licks in there that it makes u wanna cry. again , great blues tone . the reason i liked grtvampires more is cause he had a structure and yours was more or less just noodling around making licks off the dorian mode. but both were exceptional.

Russ - on the stacatto thing, that always seems to happen when I don't have a plan or I'm apprehensive - it's a really really annoying part of my playing and I don't do it playing solos I know already. Here I was trying to overlay A aeolian shapes onto D minor pent as a way of accessing the modal notes around the D minor pent bones. Once I start thinking (like that) I start cutting the phrases off - I wish I knew why but I certainly got one thing out of this experiment - don't think!

UKRuss wrote:

Its the little section between 0.35 and around 0.39, can't quite figure what your dong there but it sounds slightly outside...
    Aaahh.....I wish I could take credit for that lick but it's one that I learned from Richard Hallebeek's website. I just went there to check which one. It's the 6th one down and I just used a portion of that - you'll recognize it right away and it's right there all tabed out for ya!

So yeah, that's the one that has the F# in it (major 3rd).

I'm glad you reminded me - I think I'm going to have to learn a few more from his site!

We guitarists are a shameless lot - stealing licks from each other with abandon! Well....at least I gave credit to Mr. Hallebeek!

I wish I knew why but I certainly got one thing out of this experiment - don't think!

"Don't think - FEEEEEEEEEEEEL!"

Satch, I agree I liked GrtVamps Organ solo, thats a really new thing! Brought a smile to my face.

But I liked the ease with which SeattleRuss blew his lines over the top, easy, funky, stylish. nice. He's edging it for me this time round! My kind of playing.

AshC, Yeah, I hear what your saying, It's almost like your cutting it off in case it isn't a valid tone. This is where i think thinking of it as the second mode of C major would help more, rather than as overlaying A aeolian.

That way you can play the C major scale but really focus on flatting the 3rd and 7th.

Remember earlier you guys were saying about thinking in terms of relation to the minor scale rather than the major?

But now I'm thinking, perhaps sticking with thinking about 2nd mode of the major scale kinda helps you "see/hear" the defining tones more. I dunno...

Maybe its six of one and half a dozen of the other.
    Last edited by UKRuss; 02-16-2005 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Nonsensical bollox

SRuss! Nice one! LOL.

"see da finger pointing away to da moon"?

TSHH!

"Arrgh"!

"Never take your eyes off your opponen"

Now having waxed lyrical about focusing on the flatted 3rd against the major scale...I'm off to steal that riff with the major 3rd in it

Cheers dude and respect for the credit!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRuss

"Don't think - FEEEEEEEEEEEEL!"

LOL

Would Bruce Lee play Dorian most of the time?
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

"see da finger pointing away to da moon"?
    LOL!!!

What I've always found kinda funny in that movie, is that the writers decided to name Bruce's boss "Mr. Braithwaite" - I mean, c'mon! Why couldn't he be called "Mr. Jones" or something that Bruce couldn't have pronounced easier?

Quote Originally Posted by satch_master
    my fav version has to be gtr vampire. seriously best tone, best melody lines, great organ solo, then a killer overdiven solo and then back to the catchy melody. its really impressive playing man.
    Wow thanks alot man. I have to agree with yours being the most improved though. Every take is better and better man =P. I just wish i got so inspired about all the backingtracks or songs i hear. Dunno why i liked this one so much. Thanks again UKRuss for the awesome tracks
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

See UKRuss, i need to learn more about arpeggios cause i love that bit with the string skipping. That has to be the catchiest stint =P. Great job once again man =P.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

LOL, Zatz, Bruce was definitely a Dorian kind a guy

"Mr. Brayffway' " Lollllll.

No problem for the tracks and stuff GtrVamp, I'm really enjoying myself!

The next one's gonna be a leeetle trickier but just as much fun!

While we're in the business of crediting I just have to pass my thanks on again to EricV for switching me on to the string skip arps!

But check out some of the articles on them here, David's recent one is excellent!

I also threw in a couple of major arps too in my piece, have a listen again. There is a bit where I play an ascending string skip arp based on the b3 and then more or less straight after that another one based on the 4th.

So from D minor that would be F maj arp and Gmaj arp.

Both work a treat over the minor chord.

Strange but nice eh?

Hey guys great impros, ive got nothing bad to say! I don't know if i am gonna do this one neither the aeolian one cause i really dont think my playing's ready. I dont know how you guys do, but im not able to produce something good cause i just dont feel it. My improv are just runs and scales, no feel at all. I'm gonna practice more and more, but if you guys got any ideas on how to develop more my improv it would help me a lot.