Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

Here I come, I decided to post this now because by morning I wouldn't. I made lots of jerky phrasing mess ups. General plan was to try and work that natural 6th into some of my usual pentatonic nonsense, oh well... If I dont put this one up I'll be spending tomorrow on it as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

second take

recorded with a mic this time lol. with wah and LP. not as happy as the first one but get away with it. sorry if u hear wierd noises in the background its my dad being annoying. lol.
    first part is funky wah, second is shredding, third is a mad melody thing that i really like, and last part is mindless pentatonic let rip shredding.
    this is pretty much testing how i can record properly and not have humming or gay noises.

second take

recorded with a mic this time lol. with wah and LP. not as happy as the first one but get away with it. sorry if u hear wierd noises in the background its my dad being annoying. lol.
    first part is funky wah, second is shredding, third is a mad melody thing that i really like, and last part is mindless pentatonic let rip shredding.
    this is pretty much testing how i can record properly and not have humming or gay noises.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice ash, sounds like you know what your doin but it kinda sounds like you hesistate some. I do it too unless i really feel the song and i usualy keep consistent and do really well. I'd just work on consistence and maby moving around the pent/dorian scale. But it sounds great and i love the bluesey bends =P. (Being a zep fan myself i'v always been a sucker for penta blues.). Hey sach wheres your recording? cant wait to hear it without the line in buzz of doom. nvm you got it up now.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 02-15-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

Some really great playing, I'll take part as soon as my arm is better and I get my new recording device that Russ recommended.

Lots better satch!! Sounded much much better without that hum. Nice technique and your tone sounds alot better. Like that you put a wah to use =P. Just gotta watch out for those stops, lol.

Vampyre - yeah, you caught me. There is a lot of hesitation in this one, thats why I thought about dropping that one and having another go later... I didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do with this and it shows! Normally, I'd like to take a bit longer and have some motifs and overall structure in mind, I can't really just improv straight out well at all - well I can't play well at all, but anyway.....

Satch - the recordings are getting better every time!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Whooooaooaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Hold your funky Dorian horses a moment!

Where's Factor? He'd love this vibe I think and we haven't seen Loveguitar for a while...and we're still waiting for Rob of the Muscat to get his geetar sorted!
    Thanks for missing me :P

Argh, damned be my internet supplier! They inadvertantly discontinued my service, so now I'm stuck without internet at home, for like five to six working days!

I'm loving the vibe of this track though, I sure wish I had an electric guitar and an amp right here at work!

I'll try to record something cool though. Hmm, how to avoid the obvoius funkness ...
    Last edited by Factor; 02-16-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    Vampyre - yeah, you caught me. There is a lot of hesitation in this one, thats why I thought about dropping that one and having another go later... I didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do with this and it shows! Normally, I'd like to take a bit longer and have some motifs and overall structure in mind, I can't really just improv straight out well at all - well I can't play well at all, but anyway.....
    The last 2 (ionian and the brathe tracks) i didnt improvise well but this one, when i added the organ and piano rolls in places i just really got into the song and did the solos in one take! (surprised me i actually liked them within one take). Then again when i heard it i knew exactly what i wanted to do with it. Still sounded great and im sure you will get the hang of improvising with the more practice and you can play good too so dont be so harsh on yourself =P.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 02-16-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks Vampyre, I have been at this a while already though ... Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I'm a jack of all trades - I can play all styles badly

well some days are good and some are off days. Maby it was just one of those days.

Once I get help to get cakewalk recording right I'll post mine. I guess this will be my first improv. I started jamming to this yesterday and have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do when I record mine. Hopefully mine would be as enjoyable as the rest.

I'm really impressed with vampyre and moonchild's take on this one. I couldn't believe they've been playing for less than 2 years! Vampyre's got some really cool ideas with the organ in it and tied it with the guitar part together really well. Moonchild's just sounded so cool and I must say awesome tone there.
    Ax: Ibanez JEM7V, '80s Fender Stratocaster
    FX: DS-1 Ultra, Rocktron Chameleon
    HP: Hidden Content

Ash, I liked it! But why so staccato? You could let some of those notes ring on!

Satch, Most Impoved Player Award goes to...good job man. My one comment, (since you didnt like my take ) would be, think about playing with the effects more subtle, you can still have distortion and wah but use them in a less extreme way. You know how to use them, no question, but perhaps you want it all, all the time? You know what I'm saying.

SeattleRuss, Nice name right back at ya

Its the little section between 0.35 and around 0.39, can't quite figure what your dong there but it sounds slightly outside...