Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

still am not happy with it ... it feels like i'm trying to play beyond what i physically can, i hate when that happens. its like something is trapped inside of me!

i'll give it another shot sometime though, unless i am consumed by my inner me (lol that makes sound like i'm a martyr lmao)

haven't heard all of them them yet ... russ i really liked your version (as i already said) you put to good use those fast runs too IMHO in the other version i felt they were just put in to be there, here they were much more at home to my ear. Good structure too. Good stuff overall!!

Satch dude ... i like some of the rhythmic things, you did with those double stops/partial chords, good use of syncopation & muting. those legato things you did in the very beginning (you did them in the other version of ionian too) well in my opinion you need to put them in context and in time, otherwise you're better off not putting them in at all.

Overall pretty ok for me though satch, ignoring the extra recording noise, thats not your fault anyway and we're not here to learn about our recording ability. That said it would be more usefull to everyone (esp yourself) if you keep trying to remove the noise so everyone concentrate on the music and playing! Much better than the ionian one though lol.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

If we are doing them all it would be phrygian next...

I can already hear the malmsteen sound in phyrgian. ALSO I learned depending on where you place your mic near your amp speaker determines alot of the sound. If you want, take off the little weaved part to get the mic to pickup more directionally and not just in a open area. Furthermore elevate it to point straight into your amp speaker. The closer to the middle you place it facing the more trebel you get and the more to the left or right towards the edges of the speaker you move it to, the more bass you get. Some people place it kinda in the middle at an angle to get the right sound they want. Just experiment to get the balance you want. Some people may not have thought to move their mic around to get their right sound. Thanks for the good comments and everyones tracks sound awesome!
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)

Yes, phyrgian is very metal. I think malmsteen is famed for using the phyrgian dominant which is a mode of harmonic minor (5th or something) but I wouldnt know 'cos I've never heard him.

You should listen to him wether you like shred or not. He does perform some awesome slow paced classical songs if you know what to look for but he mainly shreds fast as hell. He even has a song called "Heavy E Phyrgian" =P. Oh and just wondering, how long has everyone been playing guitar? 2 years here.

Thats insanely good if you've only been playing for one year and 1/2 Moonchild. Awesome tone and all. And Vamp, you wrote somewhere you'd only been playing for 2 years, thats great for 2 years. You guys are prodigial, really. Really good sounds. Great stuff Russ.
    Last edited by Mateo150; 02-15-2005 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks for the kind words mateo . Your ionian improv sounded awesome, when can we expect another improv in dorian? =P. Only thing wrong with your ionian improv is the volume is kinda low on the guitar but that cant really be helped and isnt your fault. I'd love to hear your dorian improv though.

Check out my "recording questions" thread to help. I only have a half-body acoustic, and the amp plugin broke off. I have a $20 computer mic, and *wink* Cakewalk. I'll try to put one up, but I have to force the volume up on my play which makes the tone bad (out of my comfort range), and I have that problem with the mic recording me hitting the pickguard which is annoying and sounds bad. Vamp, since you directed me to CakeWalk, you know a website where i can find out how to use it? My version doesn't have a help file.

Currently, I hit record, then start the backing track (I set the volume at 3 out of 100 since this is the volume that its recorded at), then play. But the recording is with me and the backing track. Is there a way to have it just record what comes thru the mic and add in the backing later, so I can pump up the volume on what I play but leave the backing unedited?

Whooooaooaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Hold your funky Dorian horses a moment!

Guys you have blown me away!!!

Satch, what an improvement! Yeah it's a shame about the tone and your addiction to playing all the notes all the time But there is some great ideas in there man, really nice stuff. Once you get that recoprding problems resolved you'll be flying (In a blue dream )

Moon, are you Dave Gilmour? What a tone!!! Stunning stuff.

GtrVamp, awesome funkadelia my man, and the organ stuff? What a touch of genius!! For you guys to have been playing for such a short period of time is astonishing and if you're learning anything at all by working your stuff over my backing tracks than I'm proud to have helped!

Russ of the Seattle, as I would expect my man, top quality funkadelics. veeeeeeery nice. Now where can I get me some of that Korean BBQ you was talking about?

As for speculation on the next installment...mmmm, who knows?

Where's Factor? He'd love this vibe I think and we haven't seen Loveguitar for a while...and we're still waiting for Rob of the Muscat to get his geetar sorted!

Not to mention Los B!

This one far from over yet guys!

SeattleRuss, I detected a bit of outside playing in there,,,go straight to the bottom of the class No seriously any words on what was going on there? What's the shift? Where did you go and how did you get back to the resolution? Would be good info. for us all!

PS. Mateo I really loved your groove on the Ionian take BTW, checked out and it is mellow and fiiiine. Really hoping you get your stuff together for this one too!
    Last edited by UKRuss; 02-15-2005 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Just a PS

I just remembered i have a awesome techno program that can produce some awesome drums. I added it to it and put it back up. Nothing major, just did it to add the effect i wanted during the heavy solo . I hope you dont mind russ, me adding organ and other instruments and all (i may do it on further "strickly" threads"). Im trying to become for profficient with keyboard and such.

Go for it. You just have to make sure you explain what you're doing if you go outside the strickly guidelines...

Alright, will do. I pretty much followed the D penta and Dorian mode so nothing new. BTW if anyone plays piano or keyboard critsism is more than welcome on what i can improve. Same goes with guitar of course. Still trying to get use to double stops (think thats what its called) cause when i bend a string cause of my floating tremelo it pulls it forward and so im use to putting alot of stretch to get the 2 pitches on the 2 strings the same but with this floating tremelo i dont need to use as much pressure and i overdo it alot.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. You're too kind

GtrvVampyre: Love it! You've got some really good ideas there, and you displayed some cool chops towards the end too
    Really nice!
    - Erik

UKRuss wrote:

SeattleRuss, I detected a bit of outside playing in there,,,go straight to the bottom of the class No seriously any words on what was going on there? What's the shift? Where did you go and how did you get back to the resolution?
    Thanks for the kind words, Russ! Oh and BTW - nice name!

You know, I don't think I went out much at all except for the b5s, which are just part of the "blues scale" anyway...sometimes the way you approach or lay on a b5 will make it sound more "out". I also hit a few natural 7ths and there is one place that I actually hit a major 3rd, but just in passing.

One thing to do on a D Dorian vamp like this is to try other pentatonics - like Em pentatonic. Notice that it contains no notes that are outside of D Dorian but can force you to phrase differently.

If there's any place in there that you want me to get more specific about, just let me know.

Thanks a bunch moon. I loved the melody yours had. It sounded wicked .

PS: UKRuss would you mind tabbing out the begining of your take? Where you kinda repeated 4 times i really loved the sound it has and i cant quite get it.

(Wow, these threads sure to get alot of hits and replies)

Just for reference cause i sure know im just learning these modes so if you dont know what the scales for the mode is and such this site is a real help.
    http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_rb.html
    They have about every scale for every key, its a life saver sometimes.
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 02-15-2005 at 10:40 PM.