Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

Wow, great response guys. I'm glad your liking the idea!

Exactly what The Bash was saying at th4e end of the Ionian thread, in fact I believe he actually mentions a I IV, so we get a i IV7!

I think it's gonna pay dividends to what we start to hear, I'm looking forward to hearing all the tracks later when I get home. Answering some of the queries etc.

But thanks for all the feedback!

Hey folks, some mention of b3 and b7 in respect of dorian, but don't forget the real difference between dorian and aeolian is the natural 6th vs b6!

Hey Ash, that's interesting. So your saying you think of the minor modes changing in relation to the minor scale rather than to the root major scale?I've never thought about it that way but of course it actually makes a lot of sense to do that.

Rather than me doing any work What's the other defining relations between Aeolian and Phrygian and Aeolian and Locrian?

Sorry to jump in and answer it for you Ashc, but while i'm here to add my $0.02 i may as well answer. Learning modes relative to the minor scale has helped me a lot; simplifies things greatly since i'm very familiar with aeolian, i probably know my minors better than my majors.

Phrygian = Aeolian with b2
    Locrian = Aeolian with b2 and b5

b2 for Phyrgian, b2 and b5 for locrian - deathly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    They should rename "dorian" to "Carlos" - give 10 isolated guitarists Dm7 / G7 and they all sound like Santana

Everyone did a good job so far. Pro-efforts from everyone called Russ! (greating breaking track from the UK one as well).

Moonchild - Nice again. I think you said you've been playing just 1 1/2 years - you are someone we are going to have too keep an eye on!

Satch - you sound a bit Carlos'ish like also - Death Santana with all that distortion maybe, better tone than the Ionian take. Hope you can fix the recording setup to lose the hum soon.

Vampyre - nice, there was a hendrixy legato bit in there, so you broke away from the Santana curse for a second.

Los B - I know Muse - great live band, he's a very talented and intense performer. Looking forward to another pro job from you

I'll give it a go, I can't see a way to cheat on this one - grab the stick on mustache, put on the aviators, neck pick up, roll of the volume knob, dial in a boogie amp setting and......flop.

How about strickly jeopardy (in honour of the TV show) - someone posts a solo and you have to put on a rhythm track ;-) Seriously, it would be good to do this for rhythm work too - maybe styles? e.g. RHCP funk, Led Zep riff, Hendrix chord embellishments... input could just be a key or progression.
    i dont get all this santana stuff man! what are you talking about. i really dont wanna be compared to carlos santana. do you mean cause i do alot of pentatonic solsing that sounds like santana? whats the santana curse? hendrix plays the same type solos as santana. sorry im just confused with your terminology could you be more specific.

hey seattle russ, your the man! that was insane.

Satch! No disrespect but I'd think you'd have to be over the moon to be compared to Santana! The man is the daddy and, as Ash says, the Dorian king!

It's because of that and his amazing use of that Dorian sound that whenever any Dorian playing occurs it just ends up sounding like Santana! Which in my view is no bad thing. If I can pick up a guitar and sound like Santana at any given time I'd have to be happy with that!

Thanks Grovesy and Ash for the minor relatives to the aeolian, yes it is very helpful to look at them that way!

One of my main problems as a player has been the inability to see for myself different way of looking at things and different ways of doing things...prolly cos I'm just downright lazy

Ash! btw, yeah you've hit on something there, a demo of styles of playing and the chord progressions, modes they utilise, types of chord, voicings etc.

Or of course it could be the style of a certain player...like Santana, although we may have covered that one already as you say We'd have to throw in a bit of harmonic minor too though...

...and I just read through Los B's earlier comments. Just to say I'm honoured I could draw any kind of Framptonesque parallels, that's very kind. I saw him supporting Deep Purple a couple months back and he is great to see live...now wheres my vocoder?

Now Muse would make one hell of an exercise, has anyone analysed some of that stuff? Mind bending changes and scales, he is one hell of a player/songwriter the singer/guitarist.

About the drums GtrvVamp: Just stock loops from the onboard Boss drum machine I'm afraid,step programmed. They're actually pretty good and of course you can program manually and write your own patterns but I just don't have the patience!

Hey Grovesy, I hear what you are saying, looks like we were posting in parallel!

Satch - don't worry man, your not gonna complain if Mr Smith starts sending you free axes

Another thought on these Strickly threads is that it's getting people recording themselves which is cool because 1) it's v. important to hear yourself play 2) people are developing their recording chops as well at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    people are developing their recording chops as well at the same time!
    like 4hrs and around 200 crappy takes for the dorian one (i am calling them "Funky Dorian - Cow In Heat")

Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Rob - go easy on yourself man, you're more self-critical than I am. Your Ionian was a nice mellow partner to the phantom mellow one.

I just noticied a weird typo in my earlier post in Satchs quote. I wrote "greating breaking track" when I mean't "great backing track"

LOL, I just read that too and you know my brain read it correctly...but then I looked back and thought, that's wierd someone has edited your post

I have been working on my greating breaking though...coming on a treat.

Rob, I wanna hear the HotCow mix!!

...I'll shut the Dorian on my way out

So any spoilers to what the next installment will be?
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)