Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Dorian?

Ahhh god, just too cool TK!

Hi everyone! Wow, what else can I say but THANK YOU!!! You guys are great!

Satch I sent you a PM! Again thanks, too much of an honour man!

THANK YOU!!!

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    Yippie, my turn
    Attached Files Attached Files

Damn it... I just listened to Thorsten's....

and I think a little poo came out.... Damn it, locking myself in a shed for a couple of years!
    Last edited by furiousnewf; 11-01-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Don't worry mate, we're all in that boat.

I like your ideas, some nice technique going down there. My only critiscism was that the wah was too in line with the rhythm aspect of the backing track i.e in and out on the up and down beat, rather than it being totally expressive.

But minor wranglings really, the playing I loved!

Nice job!

@Thorsten
    You are sooo awesome Thorsten...what a musical statement. I mean the way you smoothly combine your great and versatilel skills which very inspiring. It's very intersting and motivating to play to the backing track and than listening to your track noticing how bad oneself still is .
    It would be soo cool to see you performing in the near future.
    Good luck with your cd releasing. I hope I can get hold of it soon!

@furiousnewf
    I like your recording!! It includs a lot of nice ideas. Only the sound is much improvable! Anyway nice work!

@my recording
    As usual my track is absolutly spontanious and improvised! The routine is missing a bit at the moment because school work is very time-consuming at the moment!
    I hope you like it anyway and I would appreciate a comment!!

All the best!
    Matthias
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool

Sounds good. Yeah I agree, I need to approve my sound. How can I do that. How do I properly mic, what mics are good... How do you eliminate hiss....

A few simple ways to improve your sound through a microphone:

1) Generally place the mic a couple of inches away from the speaker pointing towards the edge of the cone, playing around with various positions to find a more specific sound that you want (some people even place the mic behind the amp).

2) Record at the highest possible volume where no digital distortion occurs to reduce the ratio of unwanted to wanted sound.

3) Listen to the backing track through headphones when you record, this stops you getting the sound of the backing track in the background of your lead take. This helps with mixing and should marginally improve sound as the backing track would have reduced in quality if it was recorded for a second time and played back. (Could I say back any more times!?)

Current Listening:
    Gong - Expresso II

Thanks...

Do you guys usually just plug a mic directly into the sound card on your computer? Or do you use any piece of gear?

Any thoughts on a half decent cheap mic?

furiousnewf- Thanks, man! Liked your version very much, too! Sounded great, cool licks and overall good tone and vibrato! For recording at home I´d use one of these guitar modeling things that are around these days. They´re not too expensive and I think you can get great results with one of these straight into the soundcart. If recording with a mic I agree with everything MattW said but remember to really crank your amp to make it sound good... If you got questions on gear just send me a PM...

MatthiasB- Thanks for the compliments, man! Really appreciate it! I really liked your take too! Don´t worry bout the technical part of playing. That´ll come with time and practice. But I can hear you have feel and a good vibrato in your playing and that´s most important! Sounded great!
    I hope too be playing live a lot as soon as the album´s released. Just keep checking back on my web-site or write me a PM...Actually where in NRW are you from?

Cheers
    TK

Hey Thorsten, thanks for the kind words. Your comments, tips and feedbaack are very encouraging. We all appreciate it very much. I guess it would be like Paul Gilbert messaging you and giving you the same advice that you give us. Except Paul would be like, "Holy **** Thorsten, how the hell did you do that "

I don't think anyone here would ever get bored of you posting more. I expect quite the opposite is true, that we all look forward to your comments, opinions, and especially your postings of examples (powertab and mp3). You're setting the bar high for us, so we all have a goal.

Just want to say thanks man, I'm sure thats from all of us here.

PS You gonna be touring in Canada?

Thorsten, awesome take, as usual =)

Matthias, liked yours a lot. Makes me proud to hear your playing these days. Lesson today was fun, see ya in about 2 weeks ( great playing on the ballad this afternoon as well ! )
    Eric

Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen to my take and to write a comment. You really motivate me to continue working hard on my playing!!

@Thorsten
    I live in Marienfeld near Gütersloh and I am one of Eric´s student. I was very sad that the concert at the Elfenbein did not take place. I am sure i will a chance to see you perform .

@Eric
    Yeah the last lesson was very helpfull. It really motivated me to work on my muting technique. Especially the idea of the one akkord improvisation was very interesting!

Great vibrato Matthias and some great tone and licks coming through in your playing now!

Keep 'em coming

Great solos!!

Russ,

Awesome track - great solos!! Very smooth. This kind of music explores the concept of complexity & simplicity coexisting. Very nice!

I can tell that you had fun recording this one.

Dan