Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Ionian?

Strictly Ionian?

I hope people got something out of the "Strickly Pentatonic?" thread, the downloads on the backing track seemed to suggest it was a fairly popular idea.

I really needed something like that when I was a total beginner and I think it probably helps to hear others play the "flavour" of the scale or genre of music they're trying to play.

So...guess what?

I thought if we can do that for pentatonic/blues playing why not try to shed a bit of light on modes of the major scale.

Ionian mode then. My version plus the backing track.

My version has a twin guitar hook playing in harmony. I've added the powertab for this hook with both parts on it. Scuse the rhythm on the ptab, not my strong point I can tell you. But the notes are there so I hope it helps.

For beginners: Intersting to take note: Everything, yes EVERYTHING is played only using the notes of the scale of C major that is CDEFGABC. There are no sharps or flats in this piece anywhere.

The astute players and musicians amongst you will hear me attempt a few arpeggios and a couple of mini sweeps, in fact you can even hear me pause to prepare for them (How'd they sound Eric?...more practice required)

But again, beginners take note even these are obviously only using the scale of C Major!!!

The backing track, is Veeeeeerrrry boring but gives you a platform to twiddle the C Major scale over the top untikl you've got that Ionian sound down a treat!

If you want me to tab out any bit of my version I''ll have a go for you, let me know.

Enjoy!

Ionian in C.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like the sound of your guitars, what guitar/amp are you using? The track is really good, you would own a lot of people on guitarwar.com with it

Is there a point behind the unorthodox spelling of "strictly"? LOL!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

@Rizla thanks! Lol, I might try that Although I'm hoping I can stick to something thats meant to be instructive for beginners rather than seeking praise for my own playing.(although I've got to try and make it interesting as well and perhaps demonstrate some techniques along the way)

For info. though the guitar is an Ibanez S370 running through a Boss OS2 and DD3 straight into a Boss 8 track digi recorder (which for some reason adds in reverb even when your not using the onboard effects), no amp.

The backing track, what there is of it, is done on a Telecaster again straight into the Boss recorder using the onboard effect known as "blue sky" a chorusy thing.

@Bizarro: No reason for the misspelling, other than making it a little more errrr street maybe? Strickly dis an' strickly dat, knat'I mean?

I forgot to add, although I guess it was implied, that the point is everyone should feel free to use the backing track and go Ionian crazy themselves and post some stuff so we can all share and learn!

i'll check da backin' out russ.

i thought strickly is puppetish!!

Would be great to hear some of your stuff on the site Sven, we know you're a hidden gem!

Break out that strat and lets here your Ionian puppet craziness!!

i'll ask the phantom puppet to do a version as well.. if it can stretch it's fluffy fingers...

gimme a few days

Russ, Is there some 'almost' doubled stuff there is that all DD3 stereo magic? Now you've given the green light for lots of effects I might have a try at this one too, but this time actually prepare a bit rather than embarras myself with a quick out of tune blast.. The backing track demands creativity, which scares me a bit..

Since I re-theorised modes in a nutshell last week It's only right that I should try..

Great stuff Sven, lets hear the puppet fluff fly!!

Ash, no not stereo magic, it is two seperate guitar parts playing the hook. But just to show it's genuine, the powertab shows the first part slides up a wholetone at the end and the second part goes down a semitone.

I dunno of any effect that can do that yet

Yeah, take your time and let's hear your version, looking forward to it.

Ah yes, I listened again (very nice by the way) and there are two clear parts in that bit, first listen wasn't that close and I didn't check the tab - now we are talking about composing not bashing out an improv - in which case I could be weeks, cryptic canons anyone?

welll.. yes and no...It really only took me an hour to do the whole thing last night. Being the hook isn't too complex in itself, I just wanted to develop a repeating theme to give a sense of melody to the thing.

Shouldn't take you too long to compose summat but the solo is in effect a bashed out improv. Glad you liked it though.

ok, i just like to say i love this "strickly" stuff because limiting yourself is so challenging. this is definately harder than the blues one because now i really gotta try harder to make it sound right and create melodies, otherwise id just be a crazy shredder jumping up and down the ionion mode( not good at all). i like your version russ. lets see if i can do better, ill post something up in the next days if my computer doesnt play up. im gonna be even harder on myself and not use any effects or reverbs or delays as you might have used because for some reason it always makes my playing sound better( so i dont wanna depend on them). just pure clean or overdrive . but prob clean.

Russ, it only took you an hour - but it will take me longer.. you are lot further down the road with your chops than I am.

Sorry Ash, just realised my post sounded a bit wanky. Didn't mean any offense, by all means compose something in your own time.

I suppose I meant I didn't really compose it as such, it's just what came out at the time. I played the hook and then decided it would sound nice with a harmony part and then stuck the solo in. So kind of improvised as I went along with the piece.

Satch, playing cleaner certainly helps with your technique and picking as I find effects can sometime be used to cover up a multitude of technique related sins. I just used the distortion with a touch of long time delay for additional sustain. I found that helped with creating a nice vibe particularly with the volume pot twiddling part.

But you have to be careful with your "onion" mode

Hey Russ, no worries, I didn't take it that way at all, totally cool with that.