Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Pentatonic?

Strictly Pentatonic?

I said in another thread I'd post a straight 12 bar blues, and restrict the lead playing to the Pentatonic scale only. I can't even rememember why...

Oh yes, because beginners and intermediate players alike, myself included, can get cracking with the pentatonic while absorbing and learning.

Also, I think it's easy for people to say they're "stuck in the box", and generally they mean they're stuck using pentatonics only. Why stuck? It's a great scale with a great flexability!

Now, I'm sure there is plenty written about which would be way better than me going into any great detail and also plenty of you guys who use the pents better than I do, so here's the plan!

Have a go and post your own pentatonic stuff and we can share and learn from each other and expand our Pentatonic vocabularly.

For me, there's no reason to feel stuck in the rut as there's plenty that can be done. Let's share some of our licks and tricks and see if we can't get everyone feeling ok with using this fine ol' scale!

My version below is essentially using just the E minor pent shapes occuring from fret 7 through 15, yes I do use some other E pent shapes in other fretboard areas, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible and minimise any accidentals, not messing with the vocabularly and staying strictly Pentatonic.

'Kay posted my version and the backing track only for you guys to download and have a crack at.

It's a straight 12 bar in E.

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

excellent russ!

by the way you like my little avatar photo lol.

how long did it take to upload those? cause mine just has the loading screen and it never uploads my ****.

Hey man, you cheated! LOL!

Sounds like the first note of the 2nd bar after the little intro, you hit a C# on the B string at the 14th fret and bent it up a half step to the D. - A classic move!
    Couldn't help yourself, eh?

It's hard to stay completely pentatonic!

I think this is a good idea for a thread. I agree with you - I think that a lot of players who feel that they've got nowhere else to go with pentatonics need to realize that there's so much to be done with them.

what how many russ's are there around here? who is this. is this u or what? ok im confusded, anyway. **** pentatonic i add passing tones when i play and otehr scales.

Hey Satch - no, I'm a different Russ, from a different country. I've been here for a while, I just become "absent" for periods of time.

satch_master wrote:

**** pentatonic i add passing tones when i play and otehr scales.
    I know what you mean - I do too. I think the purpose of this thread is to show beginners and intermediates what can be done with *just* pents, that way, they don't have to separate the "other notes" and can concertrate on just the sound of the pentatonic - a nice idea.

um heres

my crap version. im not that happy with it cause i can do better but thats all that came out of me at the moment, and **** tone and when i record my guitar in my pc i cant hear my guitar so it makes it harder. damn. i was in a blesy mood a couple of days ago, why not now! its fun to play blues but im more a fast pentatonics player and that doesnt help.

ill test to c if i can uplaod aswell

strange, i upload the file button and choose the mp3 its 1.5 mb wait 20 mins and still not there. this is seriously ****ed.

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    I think it's kinda boring to stick strictly within the pentatonic scale. I think it's fun to add dorian, mixolydian, chromatic tones etc while still keeping it rocking and/or bluesy and without going too much outside as to alter the listeners perception of the song's tonality. (If that makes any sense! )

yeah exactly im with you george

Here's something to think about:

Every note on the fretboard is contained in some pentatonic scale...

Cool

Cool Russ! Clean and well timed! And thanks for providing the backing track.

Though I have started learning electric guitar with pentatonic
    skill, I must say my ability to hear and play it is still very raw.
    Perhaps it's time for me to revisit these classic scales

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    Pentatonic scales do not necessarily have to be used for bluesy licks either. Check out the intro to Whispering A Prayer by Steve Vai. It's based on an E Major Pentatonic scale, but does not sound the least bit bluesy.

all around psycho
    TONS of classic rock solos r all pentatonic