Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: writing heavy metal on bass

writing heavy metal on bass

does any one have any thing that they do to write metal and heavy metal?
    every time I come up with something it either sounds happy or positive (not what I'm looking for right now) or exactly like the last thing I wrote cept it's a different key. is this because I'm doing it on bass or that my age limits me or do I just suck at song writing? please help.

Quote Originally Posted by clanner
    does any one have any thing that they do to write metal and heavy metal?
    every time I come up with something it either sounds happy or positive (not what I'm looking for right now) or exactly like the last thing I wrote cept it's a different key. is this because I'm doing it on bass or that my age limits me or do I just suck at song writing? please help.
    I play bass in a heavy metal band and create all the basslines. As for advice for you, there's really no textbook answer to not writing happy or positive. Very often the bassline can't change the mood of a guitar riff.

Try listening more to metal. The more you listen to it, the more the metal way of music will sneak its way into your playing.

Learn basslines of your favourite metalband. Listen to the basslines of metal you like and try to be a attentive listener (like, What's he playing now?).

EDIT:
    Hitting any diminished fifths will sound a bit evil \m/. You might want to play the minor thirds of any minor chord, to really let the sadness shine through in the basslines as well.
    Last edited by Factor; 01-09-2005 at 02:57 AM.

The above method sounds motovating ,

here's my method.

use the , E Locrian #2 scale the Regular e Locrian , Phrigian , and Auxiliary Diminished scales .

Try to takle the Ryhthm from your happy sounding ****e , and transform that Vibe over to Evil chording .

You can even make Funk rhythms sound Evil if you want .
    ________
    xAlexia cam
    Last edited by Sir Speedy; 09-15-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Some ideas

Some good ideas have already been posted to this question. Someone mentions minor diads (the root and minor 3rd), that works well. I'd say experiment with notes that sound sinister together, add chromaticisms and dissonance. I would also recomend a good understanding of music theory, if your stuff sounds happy you're probably using a major mode. Try detuning. If all that fails then you may just have to exept that beneath all that dark heavy metal exterior, deep down you're just a happy person

Some good advice given already. I would like to add that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to create metal basslines or what notes to use. It is about attitude and tone as much as it is knowing scales ad all that stuff. Just look at the greats like David Ellfeson and Steve Harris. Sorry, i'm into 80s metal but i'm assuming you like bands like Iron Maiden.

You may also want to try getting the triplet feel that alot metal bands use in their rhythms. The rhythm is just important as what notes you play. The speed and the picking of your notes. Try using a bass distortion , it will give you more insipiration and you will definately sound HEAVY.

Speaking of 'Maiden' (I'm a HUGE fan)...I highly recommend "The Early Years" that was just released on DVD. Steve Harris...what can you say? Bass metal icon there!
    Watching him play gives you a good idea of how a bass can become its own part of the sound/song...not just basic rhythm. It's like he's a whole section by himself, but equally integrated into the song.