Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2 morning improvisation on Breathe track

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Nice one Russ!!!

I'll have to figure some way of recording then uploading a version myself!!

good damn! that was awesome russ. i really liked it and it definately is the best version to date. i love all the tapping and scale runs alot. what that all improvised or did you create licks and incorporate them in? man i definately couldnt even come close to that playing ability, yet. perfect.

i just listened to ur first attempt and the new one is just so much better man. big improvement. for some one who listents to Foo Fighters, Green Day, Blink182 i was shocked actually.

improvisational music

it's really interesting to see so many pieces uploaded. Lots of things to learn from each other, be it phrasing or techniques.

If this kind of thread is interesting to all, maybe I will start another one.
    I am currently working on a Emin shredding jam track. Once I get it done I will upload it as another track to welcome comments and more takes from other members

Thanks guys.

LOL, Satch. Yes, I did put all the punk bands down didn't i! Forgot about that. I guess that's what i stick on in the car, but my playing has always been a bit more rock orientated.

IBreathe, as I think I said also somewhere, has inspired me to get back into the guitar playing that to be honest during the 90s, was just not trendy! In fact I really didnt play much of that type of stuff at all. but now I've come here and I can see a revival of sorts in that syle of playing. I'm glad cos I love it!

Re: The difference in my two versions. I was playing by ear on the first one and simply didnt pick up that the main Key was Am and the break was Cmajor! DUH! Essentially the same scale of course.

I twigged that on my second version and let rip but also tried to put in a recurring theme over the Cmajor section to give it some kind of hook.

But you guys will have seen I tend to whinge about my very scale orientated runs and I think it still sounds that way. There is some mixing of picking but very little string skipping and so it does really sound like I'm running up and down the bloody scale continuously.

Any advice on how to mix it up (EricV if you hear this before we meet in Germany, this is exactly what I'm talking about!) is greatly appreciated.

@Loveguitar: Great thread revival, yes more of the same!

@MattBlack, yes try and sort out your recording, Check out the Boss 4/8track digi recorders, cheap on the web...well cheaper than another tele anyway

@SatchMaster, I have a 12 bar in E which I'm going to post this evening. I'm going to do three versions. 1 with a bluesy solo, 1 with a rock solo similar to my Breath of Life effort and just the backing track so others can have a go!

Pentatonic mayhem are go!!!

Satch: Sorry didnt answer your specific questions.

Yes, it was completely improvised in one take, althogh as I have done versions of it before I kind of have been thinking about it and have "learnt" the track if you like.

The scale runs, are exactly that really, scale runs in Am.

To practice this kind of thing I recommend learning and practicing your major scale with root on the 6th string and root on the 5th plying it up and down 2 octaves with the root note played first with the second finger, then the third finger and then the fourth finger.

Then do it all again with mixed rhythm patterns, string skipping etc. (not that I do much of that myself)

The tapping parts are two fold, the first part again is just an Am minor scale with a few accidentals thrown in (mistakes actually ) but on the 2nd string. and I think, the second tapping part is on the 1st string.

I used two different techniques neither of them particularly complex really. I either tend to build to a point when I use the two notes I'm hammering on and pulling off qwith my left hand as the repeating pedal and then move the third note with the right hand index finger up and down through the remaining notes of the scale.

Vice versa sometimes I build to an point where I keep the righ hand tapping one note as the pedal and then move the second note using the fingering of the left hand up and down through the scale.

I must try and get the hag of powertab or the coding thing so I can tab them out for you.

How does the code thing work anyboy know?

a few accidentals thrown in (mistakes actually )
    gee russ...

don't tell anyone about mistakes...it could be fusion!

LOL, The secrets out!

"as long as you hit a inside note as your last one, you could play anything you want and call it outside.." (a guide to faking jazz and fusion)

i guess i'm gonna be hunted for that one..

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    @MattBlack, yes try and sort out your recording, Check out the Boss 4/8track digi recorders, cheap on the web...well cheaper than another tele anyway

Pentatonic mayhem are go!!!
    I've been looking at the Boss stuff and also the Zoom's as well. As for being cheaper than another Tele I'm now in a quandry as to which I should be adding to the music room!!!
    Unfortunately a couple of the Tele's may have to go !!!!!!
    But it will be to finance either 6 or 12 months at one of the guitar institutes so it may not be so much of a sacrifice!!??!!??

You have a music room!!!

I have a corner of a room...

Good to hear you're going to do some official training, that'll be awesome.

I really wish I'd done something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    "as long as you hit a inside note as your last one, you could play anything you want and call it outside.." (a guide to faking jazz and fusion)

i guess i'm gonna be hunted for that one..
    hahah thats cheeky lol.

@RUSSO - thanks for ur explanation very helpful and ur very kind.im looking forward to the blues in e stuff 2. if i get my **** together and actually practice i might have a go over "breath of life" and as long as i dont make a wank out of myself on it or it sounds like an "elephant ****ting" as once a "friend" commenting on my playing.

godam i never realised how much i sweared till i saw all the ******************************* so im ****ed swear to ****en much but i love the **** becasue **** is good.

Satch, sorry got distracted last night...work eh? gets right in the way of my playing!

I shall do it tonight, I'll start a new thread.

I do feel I might be straying into just uploading playing for the sake of it so to keep more in the tone of IBreathe and we're about I shall try to explain what I'm doing and scales and techniques I'm using.

Hopefully everyone else will do the same and we can all learn tricks and licks from each other, which is after all, the point of IBreathe eh?

SVEN: Watch out! Watch out! The Jazzers are coming!

yeah spot on , these days i dont learn anything until i analyse and dissect the piece and figure out the key its in , the scales used and how the melody and stuff was created, than just simply learning a lick or a song or chord progression, cause even a monkey could do that and it wont mean that youll be able to incorporate it in ur own playing or better yourself musically. so yeah u do your dirty work and upload some **** for us and we can pick the bones out of it, so to speak.