Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: --- Taking ideas/emotions from my head to the fretboard ---

Exclamation --- Taking ideas/emotions from my head to the fretboard ---

Hey fellas, how's it going?

I'm a new face around here as you can see, but I've got some questions I've been searching for the answer for for soooo long. I believe if you guys can help me find the answer, it could lead to some great things on the guitar for a musician like myself. But before, a little background information:

I've been playing guitar for about a year now, which I know may sound quite new, but in the past 5 months I've been practicing atleast 2 hours to a maximum of 5 or 6 hours a day. I realize that there's a difference in playing and practicing, but I use my time on guitar very wisely... of course with a large amount of playing too . I've built up my fingers, I know the fretboard like the back of my hand, and I was also born with the gift of ears that are sensitive to notes. My mother believes I was born with perfect pitch, which I'm still learning how to use effectively.

I know a large amount of scales and more theory then someone of my playing time would know. I'm in two bands at the moment and one of which is my own personal project that I'm starting with a drummer who's amazing - he's been drumming for 6 years! A lot of people are saying that I'm extremely good at playing for how long I've been playing, and that I've got more then enough to potential to make an excellent guitarist. Luckily, guitar is my true love in life and my favorite single reason for living .

Enough about myself and sounding conceited, here's my problem guys:

My problem is getting the mood of a song from my head, or even just a riff from my head, down onto the fretboard. This mainly lies within riffs, as chords are very easy.

I've been desprately trying to learn how to use all the scales I know and intervals to set the mood, emotion, and intensity of the riff. I was told that intervals are what sets the emotion of the music but i've been unable to find a good enough explanation on how to go about doing that.

Also, how would I go about using scales to write riffs? I've been trying to do it , but I can't do it correctly and feel uncomfortable with it. Now don't get me wrong, I can write songs and flashy riffs and tabs, etc but not bythe method I want to use. I usually go about writing by picking 4 frets, a beat out of my head, and then going to work. Then I'd find harmonics and other fillers to spice itup. Blah blah blah.

What are the rules when it comes to writing a riff in a certain scale, mode, set of intervals, etc? For example, if I wanted to write a sad song in a C Minor scale, how would i go about that? I've gone everywhere on information on this but noone has the answers I'm looking for.

Could someone with some experience in doing this help me out here?

Also, how do I use intervals to set the mood of a song?

I think the first thing is to get an Idea of how much you do know.
    You say that you know a major scale and a minor scale right?
    Do you know the seven triads that exist in each?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

no i'm not, i'm not sure as to what triads are yet. i know onyl a little music theory as a i said. the main thing i want to focus on is what i need to know in order to use the scales to produce riffs, and etc. but im prepared to learn as much as i need to.

Here are the scales i know, up and down and back around:

Ionian
    Aeolian
    Dorian
    A Pentatonic
    Phylogian (spelling? haha)
    Blues
    A Minor Pentatonic

ok just a sec
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

that's a whole big bunch of stuff you need to know. and it will take years. some even try their whole life to get the ideas from their heads to their instrument.
    as you seem talented and enthusiastic chances are good .

take it slow and go through the articles here at ibreathe about how to create chords of scales, tonal relationship and all that. make small steps and you'll get your riffs together.
    there is no short advice i can give you - just that you should learn all the bits and pieces you need and to be patient.

First of all, I am not gonna consider the modes as separate scales as they all have the same notes. Lets just talk about a major scale. take C major for example. the notes are C,D,E,F,G,A,B. if you start on the first note and go skip, skip, you get C,E,G. these are the notes of the C major chord or triad.....
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

but what about Intervals? Do you have any information about those tht could help me start off in this long, drudging but lovely rewarded process?

Starting on the D note and do the same, go skip skip you get D,F,A or D minor triad (or chord) keep doing this and you get
    C major C,E,G
    D minor D,F,A
    E minor E,G,B
    F major F,A,C
    G major G, B, D
    A minor A,C,E
    B diminished B,D,F
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

What do you mean by "skip skip"? And when you say D Note, is there a certain string you want me to play the D note on and skip skipfrom there? Thank you so much!

Here is a Tab of the C major, D minor and E minor triads
    in just one position so you can see.
    Code:
    E|-----------------------------------------
    B|----------------------------------------------
    G|----------------------------4-------------
    D|------5--------3-7------5---------------------
    A|-3-7-------5---------7---------------------
    E|--------------------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

All we are doing here is starting on a note of the C major scale and skiping a note to find the next interval then skiping a note to find the next interval. This is how C,E,G is made by skipping the D and F. This is how all the triads are made.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

if you think in intervalls that would be:

root - b3 - 5 for a minor chord
    root - 3 - 5 for a major chord

when and where maj or min are depends on the scalestep they are build on.

ohhh awesome! I'm loving this forum guys... this is my heaven! How would i use the triads after i pratice them? And phantom, the roots, i think i have you on that but how would i use it?

Well any somg that is completely in one key, is gonna be made up of the chords within that key. example: Key of A minor = Am, Bdim, C major, E minor, F major, G major. So if you know the triads within the scale, then you can produce a solo that follows the notes that ring with the chords being played.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content