Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete

Talking Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete

Just wondered if the solos and all the other stuff is in tablature or standard notation ( notes ) ??
    i have ordered the book and it would be terrible if everything was written in SA cause i cant sight read,hehe!!!

Based on Guniīs review of the books ( you should read it... click HERE ) the book has notation only, no TAB... so maybe itīd be a good point to start working on sight-reading
    Eric

****, that sucks:)

I ordered the a sight reading book from berklee aswell, that was good, huh

Bill Leavitt believes that reading TAB is detrimental and does not advocate its use. So his books don't have it. There are some pretty good arguments on both sides of this.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Re: ****, that sucks:)

Originally posted by JEM555
    I ordered the a sight reading book from berklee aswell, that was good, huh
    Hi Jem555,

Which one did you order?

And regarding the Modern Method book - it really starts out very easy so it's a great way to get slowly into sightreading.

Guni

It was Reading studies for guitar by william Leavitt, il get the advanced book laaater.

That was a relief that it starts out easy, thanks!!!

Cool, and ya know where to look for help if you need some, right ?

Guni

YES YES GUNI
    THANKS

hey!!

got my books today, after 2 months. all the books were in standard notation, that kinda suprised me, i dont know if it is in a good or bad way.
    I think i got about 800 pages with standard notation wich i dont understand a Sh"% of
    The "Thesaurus of Scales and melodic patterns" by Slonimsky
    seems to be all to hard to beginn with, like Melodic Rhytms for guitar by Leavitt aswell.

I didnt find the "Reading studies for guitar" to easy either, so i think i have to start with " A modern method for guitar 123", cause that seems to be much easier to beginn with than the "Reading studies for guitar"! in the "Reading studies for guitar book the first page is about major and minor scales, isnt this book about learning people to sight read??
    well i think thats all to difficult, i think it will take months before i can handle the other books, well to those of you who have these books, do you agree that i should beginn with " A modern method for guitar 123", by Leavitt?????

I do !

Have a look through the first few pages. I am sure you will manage as it really starts out pretty easy, even though it's standard notation only.

And your current knowledge might help a lot if you think in terms of major scale patterns. First few pages are all in C major open position.

Guni

thanks guni, ye i noticed the first lot of pages are only in c major!!
    ill give it a try, i wount give up, trust me

Hey Jem 555. From your reading list there it sounds like u went to Vai's website and bought the books he recommends. I did the same thing, Slominsky, Bill Leavitt 123, the sight reading etc. Let me know how you get on with them and what u think.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I just started today, for the first time, playing thru a tune with no TAB...reading the music. It's s....l....o....w going.

But this is just a memory exercise. I mean, you know you can learn to memorize complex things if you take it in steps or small pieces. So, although you say it makes no sense, if you know what the written notes are, and you know the notes of the 6 open strings, and you know b-c and e-f are each half tones (one fret), that's the foundation for all that follows, eh?
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Yes Wisbit, thats just what i did. Vai is great.
    i`ve learned the duet sea to sea...not exactly memorised it, do you think i shoud memorize everything before i go on...i am doing that, i think thats the smartest!!

Originally posted by JEM555
    Yes Wisbit, thats just what i did. Vai is great.
    i`ve learned the duet sea to sea...not exactly memorised it, do you think i shoud memorize everything before i go on...i am doing that, i think thats the smartest!!
    Hey JEM, I assume you're talking about the Sea to Sea that's in Leavitt's book?? According to Leavitt, you should not memorize it. If you do, the song becomes becomes useless as a tool for practicing reading music. I am slogging my way through that book also. It's work!