Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to learn guitar?

First post!
    I'd like to chime in and tell you my story real fast.
    I googled this question of how long does it take to learn guitar and it has taken me to this forum. I have a much broader understanding how guitars work now just by reading on. I always had the thought that once you get it, you just get guitar and all songs, lol... i guess it does not quite work that way.

Anyway, have you ever been so in love that you thought the world you see is inside that other person or significant other? Have you than ever been dumped in the most cruelest way and taken advantage of, from the same person you just so much loved.... ? Well that has happened to me in the last year.

I have to tell you this before you can understand because at this early stage I have found out what makes a great guitar player.
    I loved my girl and she has burned me with another, took my cash and my heart. All I could think of is our song we heard together one last time which just so happened to be Everlong. I played it on my computer so much that my neighbors started to complain but its all i could think of, her and that stupid song. So my sister had an guitar laying around and out of curiosity I tried to figure out how this song went and as soon as I picked up the guitar I knew I had to play this song no matter what as fast as I could. Researched tabs and looked at a billion videos and learned how to play it in less than two weeks. I have had no musical talents or instruments that I have played. I just had a longing desire to learn this song and I did. I can now hammer strings to control the beat of the intro just like dave does (monkey see monkey do) I will perfect this song and play it for her so I can tell her to go **** herself because she has lost one great guy. Its been my inspiration and my fingers are purple but I just keep going. If I find how to post pictures I will show you what my index and ring finger look like from holding down those two notes for hours on end.

Sorry to make this so long but I wanted you to see that in the end, It really depends on your desire. How bad do you want it? I speed on my bicycle back home after work without nothing in mind but to get there and play my song untill i get it better than dave.

It took me 2 weeks. I was really interested way back so I was really determined to learn. Its kinda hard but if there's a will there's a way. LOL

WOW! You are a quick study my friend! I have been playing for 33 years and I am still learning...This site inparticular lets me know just how much I have yet to learn. But alas...in the struggle lies the glory...

I learned from a book called "Play In A Day" (Bert Weedon):

It's now 44 years later and I'm still at it.
    I'm going to sue the bastard...

ROFL!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is some seriously funny stuff Jon!!!!

I think he's actually revised that book to "Play In 45 Years".

Best-seller that one.

You're almost there!

Thanks guys.

You might like to know Mr Weedon is still at it too...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Weedons...2932410&sr=1-1

Last time I looked at this book in a shop (year or two ago) I'd swear he hasn't updated it since the original edition (early 60s? late 50s?). He just gets a new photo done every decade.
    That's chutzpah for ya...

Don't knock it tho. You know you go into a music shop today you'll see literally 100s of guitar manuals? Racks, walls full of em. You wanted a guitar manual in Britain in the early/mid 60s, this was It. The Only One. Believe it.
    Beck, Page, Clapton, they all knew this book. (Mind you, I bet they put it down after a while with a superior smirk...)

How long does it take?

I am still trying to figure that one out.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    I learned from a book called "Play In A Day" (Bert Weedon):

It's now 44 years later and I'm still at it.
    I'm going to sue the bastard...
    Ha, ha ... yeah, it's bloody hilarious that, isn't it ... "Play in a Day" ... four shillings and sixpence (" I saw you coming! ") ... well he didn't actually say which day lol ... maybe he didn't mean day one ... he meant day 46,503!

Ian.

Learning to play a guitar really takes time, effort and dedication to become a master on it.

Cool Hi..

Ever since. it was my frustration, to learn playing a guitar.
    I've tried myself, training playing a guitar..

And why is that there are people like, whatever they tried, they could hardly learn it..

Quote Originally Posted by alexisj
    And why is that there are people like, whatever they tried, they could hardly learn it..
    "Whatever they tried"? Nah .... the real answer is that actually they didn't try much at all.

They often think they are trying. They think they are making a big effort. But actually their "big effort" is only a tiny fraction of what successful people do.

You want to play like Satriani (or whoever), fine ... then be prepared to give up everything else for 10 years and just practice/study guitar/music 8 hours every day.

Ian.

Talking Wow...

That was quite long..8 hours..really..!
    Eagerness really pays if one really put dedication in learning playing a guitar.

You don't need 8 hours a day. 3 hours a day for 10 years will get you the proverbial 10,000 hours apparently needed to attain "mastery" - professional level skill. (I guess more than that may elevate you to "genius" level, but I doubt it. A genius is probably someone who wants to do more than that to begin with.)
    That's 3 hours every day, mind. 10 whole years. You want holidays, or a social life? Better add an hour a day for every day you take off. In fact, if you contemplate taking ANY day off from guitar playing, you probably won't make it as a player. If there is anything else you prefer to do, that's a bad sign.
    Great musicians come from those you have to beg to stop playing once in a while, not the ones who moan about practising.

There is an argument about "quality" practice time as opposed to "quantity" ("I spend hours but never get anywhere..."). But IMO, the quality comes from the enjoyment of playing. If you enjoy it, you're learning (or at least improving), and it's quality time. If you get bored or tired playing, you're doing it wrong (or have maybe been playing several hours non-stop...).
    I guess it's about using your ears at least as much as your fingers...

(And if we're talking about commercial success and fame, of course, that's about getting out there and meeting people, putting yourself about. And being reasonably young and good-looking can't hurt either... )
    Last edited by JonR; 06-29-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Talking I agree..

If one really wants to learn about that stuff...one should have the interest and eagerness as I've said before...

As long as you put passion on what you are doing, then you'd probably succeed on it.