Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to learn guitar?

Damn! I knew I had miscalculated somewhere along the line.

Wait, . . . can we start over ? I wasn't ready. . .

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd929
    Actually, Russ, I did the calculations and you were off a little bit on the time it takes to not suck. You had stated that It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 6 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

Ah Ha, I re-calculated your figures, and it is actually It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 3 hours, 17 minutes and 43 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

But seriously, it took me about 3 years before I was confident enough to play some leads but I jammed with friends even when I sucked..wait, I still suck...

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

a watched pot never boils

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Wait, . . . can we start over ? I wasn't ready. . .
    In all seriousness, I find that I get progressivly better when I don't think about it. What I mean is that when I try to focus on improving, I tend to stress out and get impatient and feel like no progress is being made.

However, if I just try to learn something new and take my time and just play whatever it is as best as I can, it seems that over time there is improvement.

For example, I have always liked hybrid picking since I saw a video of Albert Lee doing some hot picking. Then I noticed years later that Guthrie Govan utilizes this technique.

I started just playing around with alternate picking and hybrid finger technique and really didn't care how good or bad I was and a strange thing happened.. I started to get better at it on a considerable level.

Mind over matter I guess.. Like the old saying, a watched pot never boils..or was it "Never boil good pot"....something like that...
    Last edited by joeyd929; 07-12-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Yeh, I still suck... but I can blame it on my tendons
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    There's plenty of advice in these forums on the technique required for good pinch harmonics (squeals).

As you have 30 years before you are an OAP...you have plenty of time to get Zakk Wylde on the guitar if you want to.

He remains a popular player but in general I'd say the demand for such music is on the wane.

Nowt wrong with learning the techniques though.
    you gotta play what you love dude......me, i just think the best songs are classic rock with some flash solos, like Zep, and Triumph.... to me my fave player who can be all round is Rik Emmet !

That's true of course. It was just in the context of becoming a world famous rock star...a gentle hint that Zep probably won't get you there nowadays.

A music theory guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant
    As I have been attempting to teach myself for almost 20 years and have not gotten above beginner I thank you for this thread. I should say that I have only taken guitar seriously in the last 2 years. I think it depends on the drive you have to learn the guitar. If you want it you can get it much quicker. Of course if you have a teacher it accelerates the process. Also playing with others that are better than you. I have not had the luxury of either. I have tried to find a teacher recently and was turned down. I live in a rural area and teachers are hard to come by. So the jist of this is that If you want it bad enough you can get it. The time it takes is up to you. IMHO
    He speaks the truth. I "want it" badly. The first time I touched a guitar was 4 or 5 months ago, and I started looking into theory as well. Now I completely understand guitar, and I can have an intellectual discussion with those people on the music theory forum.

Keep on Truckin'
    -Reign of Praine
    The reign continues...

The first time I touched a guitar was 4 or 5 months ago, and I started looking into theory as well. Now I completely understand guitar, and I can have an intellectual discussion with those people on the music theory forum.
    (( shakes head and mumbles unintelligibly ))

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign of Praine
    Now I completely understand guitar, and I can have an intellectual discussion with those people on the music theory forum.
    Finally somebody does!

A music theory guy...
    Yeah, that was a little stuck up. Of course not COMPLETELY, I'm not Jimi Hendrix.
    The reign continues...

Bedroom metalurgist LaughingSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign of Praine
    Yeah, that was a little stuck up. Of course not COMPLETELY, I'm not Jimi Hendrix.
    Alas, Jimi died too young. Would he live longer he would have learned so much much more.

Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DanF
    I need to go dig it up but interestingly enough natural talent has more to do with skill acquisition than amount of time spent practicing (This is why you don't see many average looking NFL players, it takes lots of practice to become good -- and you can be a very good football player just by training a lot, but at a certain level genetics will be the bar that keeps you at 90% of NFL level etc.) I've seen that in a peer-reviewed medical medical journal but I don't know if I'll be able to find it again.

-Dan
    Look, I don't want to go into how I know this, but this aligns perfectly with my own real-life observations and experience.

In fact I came up with a sort of formula: Talent, Interest, Dedication. You could take 100 people and have 'em try out something, and say 5 might have Talent. Then out of that 5 maybe 3 will have an actual Interest in it, and out of that 3 maybe one will have the Dedication to go anywhere with it.

I think a big trap is when you get a kid who shows the Talent, so the parents push them to do it, automatically assuming that they'll have the other two things too. But well, according to what I just wrote, that's a one out of five shot, and it's probably a longer shot than that. And they'll end up hating it or just not caring for it overly much, anyway. A good example of this is a kid who lived up the street from us, Fielding Benson, brother of the noted female surfer Becky Benson. Fielding was pushed like crazy by his parents, and the end result was his talent at balancing on a board went into skateboarding, and Becky, who was probably not pushed nearly as hard because female surfers weren't esteemed much in the 70s, went on to be a happy, successful, and GOOD surfer.

Another trap is the trap that if you have talent, you don't have to work so hard. Easy to fall into especially if you've never had to work hard at anything. But in truth, well, if you have Talent then assuming you want to do the thing, it basically means you ought to work harder than the other guy, because you'll actually get somewhere!

Talent is real, that's for sure. Lots of people like to say there's no such thing as talent, just hard work, but then you get these newbs in anything who just race by everyone and have learned a ton in something like 2 years.

But all the same, I have seen people in a thing without much talent, but they enjoy the hell out of it, they never get very good but they have one hell of a good time. No they didn't put in hours of training, didn't have an insane VO2 max or concentration like a laser beam, but they sure as hell enjoyed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    This sounds like a good question for Voodoo Child!
    Some people just kinda pick up the guitar not really wanting it that badly but the more they learn, the more addicting it gets. Always raising the bar. If you really want it bad, then practicing should be pretty fun in itself.
    yeah that sounds like me xD i started at my school, an alternative school, not many people go to it i got sent there cuz i was bad in school cuz of a bad day basicly...

anyways, i went to that school for a whole year i got into rock climbing then that teacher left cuz his wife had to go to school for DR. stuff or get training or something.

well the next year, a new teacher that worked there for a while started an intrest group. it was called intro to guitar it was a class of about um 10 people. i hatet the acoustic guitars but i stuck with it sort of. the acoustic guitar wasnt as interesting sounding as electric distortion, but i got used to it and well i just messed arround fingering randome stuff putting together what ever i thought sounded good, loved nylon so much i need to get myself some of those strings... it hurt less then steel strings, so i kept at least messing arround and i pretty much do that now all the time... i can at least use all my fingers none of them are allways just sitting there uselessly

well i still hate steel string acoustic style but i like it better, i mean its not totaly atroshiouse to me anymore iv come to start likeing it actualy. still need to kill my feeling in my fingers.

anyways now im looking for information

if your really into it and u love what ur doing, it wont take long..just focus in whatever u want to do..and the next thing u knew ur doin it perfectly good..goodluck!!

The length of time to get good in playing a guitar is depend on the interest that you will be give while practicing on it.just be much more patient in doing it and enjoy every little thing that you've learned about playing a guitar.