Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to learn guitar?

It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 6 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

Seriously, forget about being as good as Jimmy Page, thats all subjective anyway. Sometimes I hear him and think that's great and sometimes I think Christ! Shut up the whining noise. Also, forget about shred. If it's not your thing don't even worry about it.

So, try learning some Zep songs. Simple as that.

Get some sheets and learn, through that you will learn chords and you can move on from there.

Get some songs under your belt and play the guitar.

Everything else comes next.

(this all comes with a warning that 70s rock is now deemed a personal thing that can only be played to very select audiences who share your taste in 70s rock, don't expect to turn up at parties and blow everyone away with Led Zep songs, s'all I'm saying)

I am no counsellor and this site really deals with music of course

But I would suggest perhaps seperating your want to play guitar from your anger with your parents.

After all, we all have reasons to disagree and dislike the decisions our parents made. But you must remember, they are just people after all, humans that make mistakes.

I'm a parent and everyday I make mistakes, I hope my kids won't hold it against me later on down the line. They probably will, hey, that's life. They'll do the same to thei kids too.

Playing guitar has nothing to do with this in any case.

Forget about the past, learn to play guitar and enjoy it. Then if things are getting you down, you can plug in and ROCK HARD!

Anyway regarding classic rock, there's always an undergound scene, as even Zeppelin were lambasted by all music press at the time, but they shone through....guess if you play anything, there's alwyas some audience, as I am not into crappy indie and the 'music scene' never was, as wasn't into britpop, or pop much before then ether ! always listened to classic rock and it was alwyas before my musical time....

guess if you make good music and people wanna hear you, record compannies will try and grab some part of it if they can as they only wnat money ! I say, everyone stick to what you want as art and progress goes forwards and is looking to change and evolve or fly in the face of fashion.....we must strive to be honest and love music and do it, and then if it's to be it will.....
    Last edited by steffyweffy777; 07-10-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 6 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page.
    . . . and no doubt this assessment comes with a double-money-back guarantee.

. . marking my calendar . .

cheers,

Well, I don't think it's impossible for you to attain your dream. There is no reason at all why you couldnt become a succesful musician even if it's only at a semi pro level playing gigs in pubs and clubs.

Sure, it might be a bit late to have stadium rock dreams a la Zep, but if you dont try you'll never know.

It is equally satisfying to have a bit of notoriety on the web for example or playuing a few local gigs if thats your thing.

Go for it! All you gotta do is pick up that guitar and play!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    . . . and no doubt this assessment comes with a double-money-back guarantee.

. . marking my calendar . .

cheers,
    Jed, in my books you already are as good as Jimmy Page...in fact I am beginning to believe you may in fact BE Jimmy Page.

Jed, in my books you already are as good as Jimmy Page...in fact I am beginning to believe you may in fact BE Jimmy Page.
    lol . . . there was a time back in the 70's, when the chemical mix was just right, that I was sure I was. Subsequent fatherhood and the resultant obligatory de-tox laid that fantasy to rest some time ago.

Now I'm just looking for a geezer gig that won't emotionally scar my progeny.

cheers,

Artistically Bankrupt
    Damn, Steffy, you make longer posts than I do.

Obviously, none of your questions can be answered until you define "good," "successful," etc. To me a guitar player is successful the first time they have fun playing. To me, "good" is a point of satisfaction and self-respect. By those standards. it can take very little time...

If your self-respect and satisfaction is dependent on believing that others are impressed with you, then you have set an unrealistic bar for your self-respect. Try not to judge yourself by what you imagine others feel about you (their feelings are based on their own misperceptions). It may be a bit unhealthy for one to pin their self-respect on an assumption of a misperception.

Play for you, until you are happy. As a happy side-effect, there will be others who like what you play. But do not depend on their approval. Compliments are nice, sure, but once you become addicted, you are screwed.
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

too true.....i am just a whinging ninny, sorry for being a pain in the butt folks....i have plenty life left what am I complaining about, and if I shut my motuh years ago I could have done plenty !

hey, speak soon dudes

Take a leaf out of Bluttie's book, he's the oldest man ever and he stays cool.

hey !

I also would like to play some proper metal, Zak wylde style, so am I too old to get any good before being a old age pensioner !?
    as I said i know I was always a kid who learnt accoridon 5 times faster than others, and my teacher said he neevr met anyone with my ear, and thought couldn't read music as my ear made it too eays for me to disregard reading, but he'd say i learnt stuff in a lesson others took a month to learn !

i guess i wouldn't need lessons, if i wanted to save money, and could learn fats myself as it's not hard, you know, it's all about practice and stuff, though i guess there must be some black art ionvolved in learning tapping as tried to teach myself but can neevr get those 'squeels' unless I do them with the pick, but the ones made by the left hand seem to only happen with guitars equipped with EMgs and heavy distortion pedals as can't get those zak wylde squeals using my les paul type guitar through a marshall, unless I am **** !?

i guess if jack Black can rock we all can,and well the film is ****, but the intro song 'Kickapoo' is bloody hilarious, but features meatload and Dio, and is amazing....good old jack Black, he has to be comic, but he sticks up for metal, and that song is amazingly sounding !!!!

anyone agree !?

There's plenty of advice in these forums on the technique required for good pinch harmonics (squeals).

As you have 30 years before you are an OAP...you have plenty of time to get Zakk Wylde on the guitar if you want to.

He remains a popular player but in general I'd say the demand for such music is on the wane.

Nowt wrong with learning the techniques though.

Artistically Bankrupt
    I'd say the demand for such music is on the wane.
    Damn you, vile popster! Well... Okay. I guess you're right. *sigh Rock has died, replaced by beeps and whistle dance music.

But as long as there is a Blutwulf to draw air into his lungs, there will always be a market for 70's rock and the electric guillotine of an open E major hammered by a windmilling arm and fed through a moaning tube amp.

That, and there'll always be bombast, apparently. Need... coffee...
    "If a child learns which is jay and which is sparrow, he'll no longer see birds nor hear them sing."

Heh hehhh.

But now we're talking 80s rock! Even die hard 70s rocksters didn't like 80s rock right?

I want to still like it all like I loved it then but...I just don't

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

slight error in your calculation

It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 6 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

Seriously, forget about being as good as Jimmy Page, thats all subjective anyway. Sometimes I hear him and think that's great and sometimes I think Christ! Shut up the whining noise. Also, forget about shred. If it's not your thing don't even worry about it.

So, try learning some Zep songs. Simple as that.

Get some sheets and learn, through that you will learn chords and you can move on from there.

Get some songs under your belt and play the guitar.

Everything else comes next.

(this all comes with a warning that 70s rock is now deemed a personal thing that can only be played to very select audiences who share your taste in 70s rock, don't expect to turn up at parties and blow everyone away with Led Zep songs, s'all I'm saying)
    Actually, Russ, I did the calculations and you were off a little bit on the time it takes to not suck. You had stated that It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 6 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

Ah Ha, I re-calculated your figures, and it is actually It will take 3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 3 hours, 17 minutes and 43 seconds to be as good as Jimmy Page. Starting from.....NOW!

But seriously, it took me about 3 years before I was confident enough to play some leads but I jammed with friends even when I sucked..wait, I still suck...