Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pedal point licks

pedal point licks

Hi there,

Any ideas for coming up with interesting pedal point licks ?
    Has this been discussed here anywhere before or does anyone plan on doing an article on this topic ?

*Thanks,

Chim_Chim
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

Pedal Point

The primary function of the pedal point is to create tension and harmonic interest. A common pitch - usually in the bass - is maintained while the harmony changes.

I am not sure this is what you really wanted to ask.

Do you mean PIVOT licks? Or Pedal Tone licks?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Hi,

I mean which ever one is the single note,Yngwie,neo-classical type of thing where you keep returning to the first note after each subsequent note.

Is that clear enough ?(god,I hope so,lol)
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

Pedal tone.

Your reply wasn't very clear, except that I already knew what you wanted.
    I mean which ever one is the single note,Yngwie,neo-classical type of thing where you keep returning to the first note after each subsequent note
    You could do these as Diatonic exercies or non-diatonic exercises.
    I would suggest you use the pedal tone lick to imply a typical chord change maybe as in a Cadenza where you have just two chords, or over i vi V. Or some other chord change as you see fit.
    Other options are to use a germinal idea based on a pedal tone and move it around diatonically. There are untold millions of ways to do this in a non diatonic context.

Why don't you write an artice about this?
    I am sure you would research it before posting such an article.
    This would educate you on methods for creating this type of thing.
    You would learn a lot because you would not want to post garbage and be embarrassed. It would be a good exercise for you.
    Last edited by szulc; 12-12-2002 at 01:17 AM.
    Hidden Content

Uhhh...I'm just trying to learn here,don't think I'm quite ready to write any articles just yet.So I must decline at this time,but thanks for the invitation. : )

Chim

Ok, so you don't feel comfortable writing an article on this. I suggest that you listen to the music of JS Bach, this is filled with cool pedal tone ideas and lots of other cool compositional techniques.
    Hidden Content

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    I understand the term 'pedal' from the piano context. Are you guys talking about a 'drone' kind of think like we hear with sitar--or are you talking more about a theme that repeatedly returns to a single, maintained note?

I know I can't expect everyone here to reduce themselves to the lowest common denominator (i.e., me), but it would be incredibly helpful if you'd do a short definition of terms when they haven't appeared on the forum before. Here's my point: we have nearly 600 members, and 20 of them are active posters. I'm think the other 580 don't know this s**t either.

I TOTALLY understand that seasoned guys don't want to have to explain every freakin' term so idiots such as myself can understand. But is there a way we can reach a happy medium?

Personally, I'm thinking that even the smart guys will discover that they don't necessarily agree on some of these terms--it isn't like engineering, music seems a little...uh, sloppy. Now, I LIKE sloppy, but that's a topic totally inappropriate for this forum.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 12-12-2002 at 05:11 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Hello,

Pedal point licks are very Bach-ish and Yngwie-ish.

Try playing the melody to the nursery song "Mary had a little lamb". To spice it up, alternate every note of the melody with pedal point tone. See the attached powertab example.

Good pedal point licks start with a strong, identifiable melody and add harmonic interest by incorporating an interesting pedal tone to contrast with the melody. The pedal tone can be very simple and *easy on the ears* or you can pick strange and dissonant pedal tones. Experiment!

They can be challenging to play if you don't use open strings. Of course, I think Yngwie can handle it! Try playing them all over the neck and over different strings. It'll give your chops a boost.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Bongo Boy,

I hardly consider you an idiot!

If you weren't raised on guitar in the 80's you probably missed out on a lot of technique advances and terminology for said techniques.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions! I enjoy adding my 2 cents wherever appropriate. I'm hardly a guitar master! (that's EricV's job) I try to help out anyways!!

But I have been around for awhile, taught for many years, took music theory, jazz improv, and all that good stuff... and I still have soooo much to learn. We are all on a personal musical journey!

p.s. Teaching also teaches the teacher!
    -Bizarro

Hey Bongo Boy,

Are you guys talking about a 'drone' kind of think like we hear with sitar--or are you talking more about a theme that repeatedly returns to a single, maintained note?

The second one.

This example is using pedal tones, not pedal point.
    My first post explains pedal point.
    Hidden Content

Some examples...

Here are some examples for pedaltone-licks, similar to some of the "neoclassical" stuff a la Vinnie Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen...

Example 1: A descending G Major scale, the G is the pedaltone... Yngwie used licks like that one quite often...
    In Measure 2 you can see the ascending version, same key

Here we do have a repeating series of three notes, G-F#-G, which we could consider our pedaltones in this lick...

The ascending version, with the pedaltones moved down an octave:

And finally, something similar to a lick from the intro of Eric Johnson´s "Cliffs Of Dover"... this works great with hybrid picking ( pick the G on the high e-string with one finger of the right hand while you hit all the other notes with your pick ):

I attached the powertab-file, so everyone who has Powertab can listen to those licks, edit them or slow them down for practising...

Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool Eric,thanks man!

I don't have power tab so I'll have to sit down with this to check it out.

PHP Code:
    This example is using pedal tonesnot pedal point
    James, was this referring to my example?

A pedal tone is commonly defined as the note around which a person pedals! I'm not sure if you're talking about a different technique or not.

A droning pedal tone (like the sitar reference) is also an acceptable pedal tone technique. It was (and still is) common for organists to sustain a note at the end of a piece (with the organ foot pedals -> thus pedal point!) while continuing to play the harmonies on top of it.

p.s. If anyone ever gets a chance to play an organ, go for it! It's weird trying to play bass lines with your feet, chord comping with your left hand, and melodies with your right hand! My brain hurts just thinking about it!
    -Bizarro

Pedal Point is where one (or more) pitch is sustained throughout, pedal tones are where you articulate a line that returns to one or more pitches repeatedly.
    Hidden Content