Why are there so many questions and so many heated discussions regarding this topic if most of the information is well documented? There are great sites online as well as some well written articles write here on iBreathe. Yet time after time so much friction and so much misunderstanding. Here is what I think.
  • A good instructional book on modes from A to Z could be a very intense book with hundreds of pages, yet so many times you find it summarized in about 3-5 pages.
  • Many readers read the first section on diatonic modes in a basic major scale and learn the names of the modes, the arpegios and that it is all just one scale. They can get a grasp on that and say yeah I get it and move on. They keep doing this until they get to the advanced stuff. The truth is they are not ready for the advanced stuff yet.
  • People have gotten the Idea that modes start on their tonic.
  • Sometimes a thread is asking a basic question regarding the modes and people will Reply with advanced stuff that you wouldn't need to know untill you are at the more advanced stages. (I think this confuses people more than anything)
  • Sometimes a thread is asking an advanced question without thorough knowledge of the basics.
  • If you were taking lessons from a good teacher, He would introduce you to the modes and let you chew on excercises to enforce the basic knowledge. The progression would be slow but steady. Ultimately you would be learning the more advanced stuff but not until you are ready.
  • I sense a reall attitude sometimes that "Cause I learned it this way, it has to be the only way."

There are many aspects to modes.
  • The basic knowledge of Modes, Their names, The associated Arpegios.
  • How each note of each mode relates to its associated arpegio.
  • Different fingerings for modes. How to use the same position for all seven modes.
  • How to play the same melody in each mode
  • Relationship to the relative minor.
  • The purpose of the locrian mode.
  • Harmonic minor and Melodic Minor.
  • Diminished scales and arpegios.
  • Using modes for chords of the moment verses over the entire progression.
  • The sound of modes over different chords.
  • Using modes other than Ionian or Aeolian over progressions.
  • Using modes in progressions with altered chords.
  • Modal progressions

I wonder how much I am forgeting here. Help me out.

It is my opinion that most of the people asking the questions have not really mastered the first four sections listed above and are getting bombarded with information from the last sections listed above. There is enough topic here for a real good book with lots of examples and excercises.

what I would like to see here is your appoach to excercises the the topics listed above. Please specify the topic.
example:
Harmonic minor and melodic minor
There was this kid named Yngwy............