Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Identify the tuning??

Identify the tuning??

Are there any specific things to look for when determining the tuning of a piece? I don't have any trouble usually if I have a DVD to watch them play or if I have seen them live. But I've been trying to determine the tuning of two Silverchair songs and it's proving very difficult. Someone also told me that none of the transcriptions for Zeppelin's "Ramble On" that I find sound correct because it is not in standard tuning. Any truth to that?

Specific things to looks for? Can't think of any offhand. As you learn more songs by ear you start to hear which tunes are beyond standard tuning. For example, an open E chord is the lowest chord you can play in standard, right? So if you hear a low E flat (or any chord lower than a standard E) you can guess that the guitar has been detuned. Tuning down 1/2 step to Eb or a whole step down to D are common, as is the drop D tuning, which is only the low E down to D.

Treat online tabs with a grain of salt. I went crazy one day trying to find a decent Zeppelin tab for Kashmir, all these bizarre tunings, every interpretation different.
    Hidden Content . All things guitar: Jam tracks, lessons, blog and more!

No doubt that this can be a very hard thing to do.
    We are not talking about a guitar tuned down half a step here, that's easy. Try learning some Rollings Stones tunes by ear. I know a Rolling stones Cover band and one of the guitarists has three extra guitars onstage each with a different tuning and just for one song.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

All from memory..

If Silverchair sound like I remember you probably only need drop D. Possibly also the same for Ramble On.

Kashmir is in DADGAD as is Black Mountain Side.

Most hendrix after the first album is 1/2 step down.

Most keith Richards from early 70's to now on is Open G (no sixth string) or Standard. (Ron uses standard almost all the time).

If you wanna get into English folk tunings (Bert Jansch, Nick Drake et all) then the fun starts

Sorry, duff info. Ramble On is standard tuning (I'm getting mixed up, inexplicably with Moby Dick).