Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Practice Schedule!!!

so far im getting away with using barre chords for chords of the same type ie 6th, 7th, 9th etc, and for most of it you only have to know the a and e shapes to be able to do the rest of the other chords

Trying To Be Humble! Voodoo-Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave111
    Wes Montgomery
    Charlie Christian
    Django Reinhardt (Spelling? )
    John Mclaughlin (More fusionish)
    Joe Pass
    Pat Martino
    Joe Diorio

Im sure I could name some more. Out of that, Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery have come across as more unique (Not saying there better, just they would be interesting to start with)

Dave
    Cheers for the list, I will check out them, actually a few of them ring a bell, I think I have read about Charlie Christian and Joe Pass, in some Guitar Books, or Magazines!

New topic please.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

lmao joe pass is the old fart of jazz! ive watched one of his videos n hes very funny

he talks like he knows very little about theory when infact hes a master! and his fingerpicking's wonderful too!

Joe Pass underestimates himself so badly. He probably is one of my jazz favourites (Sadly I haven't heard that much guitar jazz) His chord soloing is unrivaled from what I have seen.

There is a pretty good column in Guitar Techniques, from Martin Taylor, who is an awesome fingerstyle jazz player. Check it out. If you want add me at silly_bert@hotmail.com on msn and I can email you some jazz sites (Don't want to advertise)

P.S Voodoo, I think there is a common misconception with jazz and using complex theory, having to play certain things over certain chords, but one thing I like about jazz is the freedom. Almost any scale can be used- or just the chromatic scale (Any notes). The best way to play jazz is to learn the stuff about what sounds good over what, but when it comes down to it all you should use your ear. Ill let ChrisJ or someone try give your more advice- I'm not very good at jazz

Dave
    Last edited by dave111; 11-16-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Joe Pass underestimates himself so badly. He probably is one of my jazz favourites (Sadly I haven't heard that much guitar jazz) His chord soloing is unrivaled from what I have seen.

There is a pretty good column in Guitar Techniques, from Martin Taylor, who is an awesome fingerstyle jazz player. Check it out. If you want add me at silly_bert@hotmail.com on msn and I can email you some jazz sites (Don't want to advertise)

P.S Voodoo, I think there is a common misconception with jazz and using complex theory, having to play certain things over certain chords, but one thing I like about jazz is the freedom. Almost any scale can be used- or just the chromatic scale (Any notes). The best way to play jazz is to learn the stuff about what sounds good over what, but when it comes down to it all you should use your ear. Ill let ChrisJ or someone try give your more advice- I'm not very good at jazz

Dave
    Hi Dave, thanks for your help, I don't think I have msn, though, so maybe you could pm me the sites instead!

Dave
    I think this warrants some discussion. Saying that you can play any scale over any chord in jazz is what some might term a gross over-simplification that could be highly misleading. If you can't play jazz well enough to prove that a statement like this is accurate, don't dispense it to others.

Although I agree that it comes down to your ear in the end, it is really expecting too much to think that if you've never played over a fast bebop tune, or some Coltrane changes, your ear is going to be able to lead you through those key changes, or that any scale that you choose at random will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo-Child
    I am interested in Jazz, in the future I would like to learn it, I don't know many Jazz artists, apart from George Benson, any recommendations for good listenings?
    As mentioned before you should definately check out Wes Montgomery !

Did anybody mention already Jim Hall ???Anyway, listen to Jim Hall as well !
    I'd also recommend checking out Peter Bernstein and Jesse van Ruller (check out www.jessevanruller.com).

And for other instrument than guitar, listen to Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans (the pianist)....

There are so many more, but these are the first that came to my mind.

Good luck,

Lars
    Last edited by Santuzzo; 11-16-2004 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by debaser
    I think this warrants some discussion. Saying that you can play any scale over any chord in jazz is what some might term a gross over-simplification that could be highly misleading. If you can't play jazz well enough to prove that a statement like this is accurate, don't dispense it to others.

Although I agree that it comes down to your ear in the end, it is really expecting too much to think that if you've never played over a fast bebop tune, or some Coltrane changes, your ear is going to be able to lead you through those key changes, or that any scale that you choose at random will get the job done.
    I see what your saying. I didn't say I should be throughly listened to; I moreso wanted someone to give him better advice. It just seems to me, that people are often to worried about what to play over what.

I didn't mean to give out any wrong advice, sorry. It was my opinion from my limited experiences, but debaser is probably more knowledgable, so I'll retract my comments.

Dave

You're interested in listening to more jazz?

Two words (well for guitar based jazz anyways):

Kurt Rosenwinkel

All that Jazz

Well, too bad two contemporary names of Jazz guitarists haven't been mentionened:

John Scofield - Funkiest jazzman alive!

Pat Metheny - master of his art! check pmg.com and read the interviews section, he's relly a lovely musician!

of other artists who for me really are breathtaking:

Charlie Parker
    Chick Corea
    John Coltrane
    Bill Evans
    Miles Davis

ohh and I would give you Voodoo the practice advice(although I unfortunatly don't do it enough myself) to practice to music. A bit less abstract than reading a book with words about tones for the ear....
    to be honest I don't think you will develop your groove with the way you are practing now

Just my two cents
    Shine on!
    Claus

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus

ohh and I would give you Voodoo the practice advice(although I unfortunatly don't do it enough myself) to practice to music. A bit less abstract than reading a book with words about tones for the ear....
    to be honest I don't think you will develop your groove with the way you are practing now

Just my two cents
    Shine on!
    Claus
    I agree with you, I have spent too much time, studying from books, when really, I should have been playing along with, and studying my records!

I try to limit myself now, to only using books, that teach theory, chord and scale shapes, etc.

I dont know how you can focus on books. i can only spend do much of my (short) attention span on theory, i like to understand it and all, but i can only take it in short chunks. you can read all the info, but if you cant put it to use, what is the point? i think we need a BOOK BURNING BON FIRE!!!

carry on.