Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Practice Schedule!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo-Child
    Well my Spelling Ability has decreased, since I have dedicated almost every waking Minute to Practicing, but I don't Care!

By the way, I am gonna study Music at College, and I am gonna take some London College Of Music, Guitar, Keyboard and Music Theory Exams soon, I am going in straight to Level 8, because I am Insane!!!

We aren't lacking in confidence are we?
    There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls!

Trying To Be Humble! Voodoo-Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fader198

We aren't lacking in confidence are we?
    Well................. I guess not, I reckon I will Pass Level 8 on all Three, 'cause the Exams are Bloody Easy, I mean at Level 3, you only need to know a few Open Scale Posisitons of the Major, Minor, Pentatonic Major and Blues, plus the Open String and Half-Barre Chords, for the Scales and Chords Part of the Exam.

The Aural Test, will be easy, as you only gotta name a few simple Intervals, and I am currently working through the Davis Lucas Burge Course, so that ain't a problem. A part from that you only really need to know the Notes on the Fretboard(Which I do), and be half-decent at Improvisation and Rhythm Playing(which I am).

After that I plan to take the Diploma Level, and Pass that too, so I can start Teaching, and pass on my Wisdom. I reckon I will be a Great Teacher, in my mind I am preperaring for it already, for example, I think of the order of which I have learnt things myself, and asking myself, Was it the Best Way?

And then thinking, if I had a Student, who has just Literally picked up a Guitar for the first time, where do I start with them, etc.

Here is the order I would Teach things, to an Absoulute Beginner:

1. Anatomy of the Guitar, how the sound is produced, etc.
    2. Open String Names,
    3. Open Chords, A,D,E,
    4. A Few Songs using these Chords, like 'Mull Of Kintyre, Blowin' in the Wind',
    5. Basic Rhythm Patterns,
    6. A Few More Open Chords, G, C, Am, Em, Dm, etc, plus Songs,
    7. Introduction to the Major Scale, + Open Positons of Major Scales,
    8. How Chords are made,
    9. Introduction to Improvisation,
    10. More Basic Theory,
    etc.

Beat me!

Well................. I guess not
    anyone feels like a coming over and beat me up with a baseball bat?

I can pay you if you want!

If not i'm gonna loose it sometime soon.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Well................. I guess not, I reckon I will Pass Level 8 on all Three, 'cause the Exams are Bloody Easy, I mean at Level 3, you only need to know a few Open Scale Posisitons of the Major, Minor, Pentatonic Major and Blues, plus the Open String and Half-Barre Chords, for the Scales and Chords Part of the Exam.

The Aural Test, will be easy, as you only gotta name a few simple Intervals, and I am currently working through the Davis Lucas Burge Course, so that ain't a problem. A part from that you only really need to know the Notes on the Fretboard(Which I do), and be half-decent at Improvisation and Rhythm Playing(which I am).

After that I plan to take the Diploma Level, and Pass that too, so I can start Teaching, and pass on my Wisdom. I reckon I will be a Great Teacher, in my mind I am preperaring for it already, for example, I think of the order of which I have learnt things myself, and asking myself, Was it the Best Way?

And then thinking, if I had a Student, who has just Literally picked up a Guitar for the first time, where do I start with them, etc.

Here is the order I would Teach things, to an Absoulute Beginner:

1. Anatomy of the Guitar, how the sound is produced, etc.
    2. Open String Names,
    3. Open Chords, A,D,E,
    4. A Few Songs using these Chords, like 'Mull Of Kintyre, Blowin' in the Wind',
    5. Basic Rhythm Patterns,
    6. A Few More Open Chords, G, C, Am, Em, Dm, etc, plus Songs,
    7. Introduction to the Major Scale, + Open Positons of Major Scales,
    8. How Chords are made,
    9. Introduction to Improvisation,
    10. More Basic Theory,
    etc.
    are you sure?

Voodoo you need to change your act, otherwise you will not most likely get banned from this forum, but you will fail miserable working with other people. Something you will probably need to learn if you wanna make it in life (no matter its in music or in anyother aspect). With your attitude you would make Yngwie Malmsteen blush!

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    i think it's stupid to lay down a practice plan before you even meet the person you are going to teach. Read Hess's articles about teachers and teaching!
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarLausing
    i think it's stupid to lay down a practice plan before you even meet the person you are going to teach. Read Hess's articles about teachers and teaching!
    I don't, all I have done, is looked at how I learnt the basics of Guitar Playing, and thought 'is the way I learnt the basics, the best way?'. And I have come up with a rough order in which I would teach an absolute beginner.

Of course I would judge the Students Ability first, as I said this is only for beginners.

I can't understand the fuss, I mean for someone like me, who is interested in becoming a Guitar Teacher in the future, what harm is it analyzing your own progress and working out how you would teach a Student, that information and in what order to an absolute beginner.

Buebo, what am I doing that is worthy of getting Banned, it is you guys Slamming me, for every comment I make, I haven't Spammed, caused any trouble, etc. Maybe I am 'Over-Confident' here, but in 'REAL LIFE', it is very differant.

Don't forget this is the Internet, you don't actually know me, so you can't actually judge me, I haven't been Rude, Abusive, but according to you lot, it is Illegal, to be pleased with your Playing Progress, and to actually be confident.

I know exactly what my Goals are, and how to achieve them, my Playing is Improving Daily, I am loving every minute of Playing, Practicing, Listening to Music, so I really couldn't less what you lot think.

I appreciate your answers to my questions in the other Forums, and I absolutely Love the articles on this Site, but I don't know why you guys respond so badly to my Posts!!!

It is because of you, that my 'Tips for Beginners' Thread got Closed, now I said one word, 'Advanced' it is not a Swear Word, okay, YES, it was an exaggeration, I can see that now, but was the 20+ Replies Slamming me really justified.

The Thread was simply too help Absolute Beginners, who don't know where to start, using my own Personal Experiences, if I had used Bad Language, Spammed, I would have understood the Fuss, BUT I DIDN'T!!!

And this War against me, has continued in other threads too!!!

You don't understand, I am not laying down a Plan for all my Future Students, it is just a Vauge order in which I would teach an 'ABSOLUTE' Beginner.

I think it is good to think ahead, I mean if I have Student, who has been playing for 5 Years, who hasn't had any Tuition, but has gained lots of Knowledge in 'Bits 'n' Pieces', but needs help 'Tieing' it all together, I would adapt to that situation.

But if I had a Student, who has Literallty, just picked up a Guitar, for the first time, thats where my 'Rough Plan' comes in. I think the order of my 'Plan', is very Logical, but it is not 'CONCRETE', just 'ROUGH!!!'

Buebo, what am I doing that is worthy of getting Banned, it is you guys Slamming me, for every comment I make, I haven't Spammed, caused any trouble, etc. Maybe I am 'Over-Confident' here, but in 'REAL LIFE', it is very differant.

Don't forget this is the Internet, you don't actually know me, so you can't actually judge me, I haven't been Rude, Abusive, but according to you lot, it is Illegal, to be pleased with your Playing Progress, and to actually be confident.
    You're right, no one here could probably ban you on what you've been posting since you've joined, but it should be pretty evident to you by now that you're really getting on some people's nerves.

Frankly, every single post that I've read written by you comes off an obnoxious and condescending. Everything you post here is "ME ME ME". I don't care if you're not really like this in "real life", since I'll probably never have to meet you person to person.

If you're as great as you say you are, especially for only playing for eight months, that's great. You probably are going to be an excellent musician in the future, but look at any other good musician. Do you ever hear Vai say in his interviews: "My favourite song by myself is Blue Powder (random song), I didn't even work that hard to write it, but every time I listen to it, I am simply stunned! In my honest and unbiased opinion, I think people will be listening to Passion and Warfare in thousands of years and worship me as a god."

You can't just say that you're humble and be over with it, we should be able to know that you're humble just by reading your posts.

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    I don't think so. My friend was teached this way for a year, his teacher thought he knew everything about teaching. what my friend got out of it was that he got totally un-enthousiastic about playing guitar, he didn't want to practice the songs that he got for homework because he didn't want to learn "stupid children songs" as he called them.

I took him in for a session, just an evening where we were gonna go out and get pissed, but we stayed at home and played instead. I asked him what he wanted to do, and he said that he just wanted to be able to play some camp-fire songs and then not care about what a dominant seventh is. So I teached him a song that he wanted to play, Wonderwall (of course), without teaching him about different chord shapes and all that stuff that more experienced players think is important.

I also said tricks that would help him play it.

Then, next session, he said he saw someone play the song differently, and he wanted to learn that way to. So i thought him.

He said he got more out of those two sessions than the whole year with his old teacher
    "You don't fill somebody's shoes, you come with your own shoes and kick the door down!!!" - Zakk Wylde

-boxฮดุฐฒฤฮถดฤณฮดุฐฒ
    Oh yeah and all that banning stuff...

What the hell has Voodoo done?

I think everyone who is mad at him, is somehow jalous because they aren't capable of getting a good practice schedule together, or they aren't making progress in their playing like Voodoo are. Its just pathetic to be angry at him because he actually knows what he is doing and where he is going.
    Yeah, he is proud of it. You would be too, if you had only played for 8 month and were better than your mates.

My "2 cents"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffN
    You're right, no one here could probably ban you on what you've been posting since you've joined, but it should be pretty evident to you by now that you're really getting on some people's nerves.

Frankly, every single post that I've read written by you comes off an obnoxious and condescending. Everything you post here is "ME ME ME". I don't care if you're not really like this in "real life", since I'll probably never have to meet you person to person.

If you're as great as you say you are, especially for only playing for eight months, that's great. You probably are going to be an excellent musician in the future, but look at any other good musician. Do you ever hear Vai say in his interviews: "My favourite song by myself is Blue Powder (random song), I didn't even work that hard to write it, but every time I listen to it, I am simply stunned! In my honest and unbiased opinion, I think people will be listening to Passion and Warfare in thousands of years and worship me as a god."

You can't just say that you're humble and be over with it, we should be able to know that you're humble just by reading your posts.
    I appraciate your comments, I am glad you agree I shouldn't be Banned, because I haven't done anything Wrong. I don't feel I am Over-Confident, lets analyze my Big-Headed Comments so far, okay I said I was 'Advanced', and I admitted that I did exaggerate a bit on that, and I wrote a 'Vauge' order in which I would teach a 'Absolute' Beginner. Don't forget, 90% of my Threads, have been asking for help and advice, like the 'A Shaped Barre Chords', 'Double Stops', 'Phrasing', 'Using More Advanced Rhythms' Threads.

And I have only been called 'Bigheaded', after you guys obsessed about my use of the word 'Advanced', in my 'Tips For Beginners Thread, in fact it is you lot that have the problem, you obsess over little 'things', I mean if you make one little exaggeration, like I did, you get so many members Slamming you!!!

Oh yeah and all that banning stuff...

What the hell has Voodoo done?

I think everyone who is mad at him, is somehow jalous because they aren't capable of getting a good practice schedule together, or they aren't making progress in their playing like Voodoo are. Its just pathetic to be angry at him because he actually knows what he is doing and where he is going.
    Yeah, he is proud of it. You would be too, if you had only played for 8 month and were better than your mates.

My "2 cents"
    Thank You for Your Comments, they are a nice change from the usual I get!!!

I think the way you helped your friends Playing is Brilliant, because when you are completely dedicated to Playing the Guitar, and Studying Theory, etc., and you gotta teach someone, who doesn't wanna learnt the Important things, it must be hard!!!

Look, on the issue on Teaching, I am nowhere near ready, these are just me thinking about differant 'approaches', if I continue to become more and more ethueiastic about Guitar Teaching, you can be Sure, I will do my 'Homework' first. I wanna become the best Teacher I can be, if I decide to follow that path, I don't do things half-assed.

I have had 3 Teachers to date(my Crap regular teacher, my Grandad, and 2 Lessons with another Guy), none of have helped me at all(a part from 1 or 2 things), but I have Learned from their Teaching Styles.

There is nothing I enjoy, more than Music, this last year has been the Greatest of my life, and I am gonna make Sure, that my future will involve a Career in Music. I just love Playing, and if I become a Teacher I wanna share this Wonderful gift, 'Music'.

Now I must confess, I am quite boring, I love Studying Theory, I have learnt loads from hours and hours from reading books on Theory, and I know, that some people, have busy lifestyles, and can't play much, or just wanna play for fun. That is what I will have to adapt to, if I become a Teacher.

Now you can read a Million Articles on Teaching, analyze your teachers styles, etc, but the only way you will become a Good teacher, is with time and Experience. I listen too and learn from everyone, and I am very Patient, I can guarentee that if I pursue a teaching job, I will give it 110%!!!

Seany
    No offense voodoo but youve come accross more arrogant/over confident then i thought humanley possible and i havent even met you yet. Quote: occupation 'Genius'
    Ma-ha, that one was pretty side splitting. but seriously though, im sure ur progressing and Gd luck but, why post on here to brag, this place is for people to help each other not, try and prove whos the best. I tried making a schedule and my new revised one works better, mainly because i stopped being so anal about it, i mean honestly u getting up late, or being on the phone or losing track of time or doing a house task loses you maybe 10-15 mins which eliminates ur sight-reading, its real difficult to keep to these times. If u wanted advice or comments on ur schedule i would say just that. maybe just spread your routine over a few days and extend the times for each section. I also found using a schedule i got really worked up when i missed a section, and put me off which made me wanna give up quite irrationally. Also you must have other things or youl go insane. I tried practising a 9 hour day and only managed 6 with breaks, i was getting bored and numb fingers, if u had more breaks and time off youd enjoy it more stick to it better and effectivley IMO have better progress. And i would spend more time on technique, if you like fast playing especially cause i spend at least half my time working on picking, sweeps etc.

But hey dont listen to me. Ive spent the last 3 months sill learning all along the watchtower, lol.

Sean

Buebo, what am I doing that is worthy of getting Banned, it is you guys Slamming me, for every comment I make, I haven't Spammed, caused any trouble, etc.
    You're right I was out of line with the getting banned stuff. My bad!
    Maybe I am 'Over-Confident' here, but in 'REAL LIFE', it is very differant.
    Now this is something that does bother me big time. Why should you act different over the internet? To me thats next to lying... There is absolutely no reason to behave like someone else here, nobody is criticizing you everyone is here to help each other out. Its really great that you're progressing the way you say you are, its always good having good guitarists around. You seem very motivated and it would be a shame to waste your talents and hard work by being so 'overenthusiastic' about your progress because you will step on the toes of many people (like happened here before).

Greets Buebo.