Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music and YOU

yeah, thats what i mean, rmuscat.

you can take something someone else has done and modify it in small ways and achieves its own new life. progressions, solos, whatever.

slash from gnr, i just read in an article, has one riff--the first guitar riff he ever learned--that he claims to use in every solo he writes, because it always works. yet i find some of slash's solos to be really evocative and unusual--they really work and are individually wrought. so these little riffs are just in there, somewhere, doing connective work, i guess. and danzig is a big fan of the i minor--i minor +5 progression. its suitably dark and forlorn. there are countless ways to incorporate it into a song, even by changing up the rhythm and sticking with those two chords, so i've started using it too whenever i have an interesting rhythm.

yeah, i think the key is never forgetting that the job is to channel a feeling into what youre doing. because feeling is life, and the life makes the song.

what drug am i on? this vision has been a result of NyQuil. taking musicians to new plateaus. NyQuil.
    "All bad poetry is sincere" -- Oscar Wilde

music should tie into the lyrics, and whatever the artist itself it feeling. personaly, i like to focus on the emotion and whatever notes bring out that feeling. Something dark can easliy fit around E, Em, Esus4, ect (the E's) where as if you write somethign revolving around the D's it seems prettier, more light hearted. Then once you figure out tone and such, you can find things thta work. Music should reflect the soul of the composer, even if its comfusing, not whatever the audience expects. i dont know about anybody else, but when i get somethign that sounds good, so heard something i like, it sort of bring sme to a differnt world. CRAP! im sounding corny! but its true.

i didnt relise Nyquil had such drastic effects...

nyquil is like the strongest, oddest over the counter drug i've ever tried. i don't even understand my own post.

I must be on something myself if I was able to understand it!
    Hidden Content style="font-family: Arial Black">Always play from the heart. The rest is just details.

Might as well throw my oppinion into the bag.

I always find that musicians as a whole are overly concerned about being original or chasing this idea of injecting their true feelings into something. If it's in you it's gonna come out no matter what, you shouldn't really worry about it. Plus, you have to distinguish between being completely original and being just straight up better then any one else out there. Both are equally possible and both can have just as much inner emotion injected into them.

It is entirely possible that YOUR sound has already been created. There is nothing wrong with that, just use history as your judge. J.S. Bach was 50 years behind his time, but is probably the greatest composer of all time. There are licks that Charlie Parker used in EVERY solo he recorded, yet he is the most influential sax player and possibly jazz artist of all time. Keith Jarrett formed one of the most successful and influential trios ever at a time when playing jazz standards was extremely frowned upon, to the point of being almost unheard of...and what is this trio's name? "The Standards Trio." On top of that, almost every composer since the begining of time has at some point chased the idea of doing the opposite of creativity, trying to actually take themselves out of the composition. And when you think about it that is probably the closest you can get to pure music. Arvo Part's (with the .. thing above the a) "Fratres" is probably the finest example of such a thing. It's the most recorded form of "new music" and it's been arranged for everything from full orchestra to an accordian and banjo duet.

So, in my oppinion, if it's in you and it's an important enough part of your life, it should be able to come out no matter what situation you are in or what you are playing.

P.S. if anyone hasn't heard "Fratres" get the version that Keith Jarrett recorded with violinist Gidon Kremer...it's unlike anything you've ever heard...nobody can play chords like Keith Jarrett.

good points. i agree. i just think it's pretty obvious when someone is faking something AND at the same time, it doesn't work. those people (me sometimes) have to worry about 'it,' because 'it' won't come out, because 'it's' been temporarily misplaced or forgotten or lost.

Defines the word 'it'! Cha-ching! Sorry... little Clinton joke there :P

Basically it comes down to this: You can't please them all... so please the one person that really counts: Yourself.
    Hidden Content style="font-family: Arial Black">Always play from the heart. The rest is just details.

i notice my posts are making hardly any sense recently. i apologize. i am sick and i guess my brain stopped working.

Aaaah... feels good to be back...

I've done some soul searching for a few months now about what I want to achieve with my music, and what I've come up with is this:

I want to create stories, fiction or real, where the lyrics works as a short story, and the music works as an "emotion enhancer", like in the movies. If I was to take away the lyrics, the listener should still be able to sense the feeling, thought, situation or whatever I'm trying to express. With this approach, I can write about my own experiences, and try to get the listener to understand what feeling I want to get across, but I can also try to write a song about a schizophrenic man who's arguing with himself whether he should commit suicide or not... there's alot of ground to cover
    Concerning playing for other but yourself for money, I guess I'm too much of an artist to do that... To me, music is an artform. I want to create music that means something to me, and try to get the listener connected to that, instead of writing something you hear every day just to get money.
    In doing so, I realise I won't be swimming in gold in this lifetime, but I rather do something I love for three hours a day than doing something I almost love for ten hours a day... That's just me...
    Greg

hey man, thats cool. i dig that as well. it doesnt have to fail commercially. i've been told the decemberists do this exact thing you're talking about. that their songs are basically stories. i've seen them. i cant hear lyrics in music without a lot of careful attention, but my friend is a major fan and she assures me that that's what they do.