Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: does the floating hand incluede the arm?

all around psycho

does the floating hand incluede the arm?

Would it be considered floating hand if I do float my hand but my arm rests on the guitar, or does everything have to be off

IMO, the best way is to "float" the hand ( and to make this clear one more time: itīs still normal to slightly grace the bridge with your palm, otherwise you couldnt mute strings when you use the "floating hand" ) while resting a part of your forearm on the upper edge of the guitar.
    That way, you achieve some stability, which in turn allows you to keep the hand floating and the wrist relaxed.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

i echo eric,
    that's why it's called floating hand and not floating arm .

you should have some kind of contact to your guitar to get the best results.

I think this question came up because of something I said yesterday, and I may have misspoken. I mentioned "if you float your hand great, if you float your whole arm even better" Okay, first, scratch the 'even better' business, I didn't mean to be taken seriously there -- Full disclosure, I nearly always play sitting down with a boxy instrument, and so always have my arm resting on top of the guitar (an anchor point) -- I think seated players virtually always have the arm anchored on the guitar, it's just what is physically practical -- but when standing, especially with solid-bodied electrics some players float the whole arm and it can make sense to do it. For example, Pete Townsend's windmills just don't work with an arm anchor point ;-)

And don't some classical teachers (all? none? Flamenco technique?) teach floating the arm when sitting? I thought I remembered this from a classically trained guitar teacher ages ago, but I definitely could be mistaken.

At any rate, I think floating the arm is a complete distraction, the very last thing to worry about, and I'm sorry I mentioned it!

Doug.