Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Jeff Loomis

Jeff Loomis

Anyone have any advice on how to get a smililar tone to Jeff Loomis of Nevermore? Anything....EQ settings, gear, all that stuff. He has incredible tone.
    Right now I am using an Ibanez RG through a 100 watt Peavey amp.....with a metal zone pedal. My tone sucks. It is REALLY holding me back. I find that when I play on my friend's gear my playing really is augmented...not just speed but my melodic ideas and my bending vibratos and all that stuff. I have my EQ at a scooped setting: Low and High at about 8-9, and my Mids at 2-3. I also usually use my bridge pick-up. I don't know, maybe I am being too picky...but then again I guess you have to be a perfectionist with tone.

Also, anyone know where I can find some accurate Nevermore tabs....particularly the Enemies of Reality and Dead Heart In A Dead World albums?
    thanks.

Junkie for soulful guitar metalprep6969's Avatar
    This is probably a good thread for the GEAR section

check out Jeff Loomis's official site for gear info http://www.jeffloomis.com/index2.htm and you can find links to Nevermore tab sites on www.nevermore.tv

My suggestions? Ditch the metal zone! Also, replace your pickups with high output Dimarzios, Seymour Duncans, or EMGs (that's what Jeff uses, as well as numerous other rock and metal guitar players). Get a high gain amp (Jeff uses the Peavey XXX).

\m/

[Edit]: And keep in mind, you can get everything he has and you'll never get his tone, so just concentrate on getting a tone you like, not a replica. Try to be unique, regardless of what gear you have.
    ...Like a child who's run away...

...And won't be coming back...

yeah today I bought a brand new Ibanez Prestigue RG 2570EX and it has Dimarzio/IBZ are those good enough?
    and I know I won't get exactly his tone...I just want something similar that is why I asked to get an aproximation. Like say, amp settings. Everyone is so vague abut tone questions and it seems it is too easy to just say "you'll never get exactly that tone so just find your own" maybe nobody really know what they are talking about? I'm sure there is a certain EQ range that is a good start.....anyone know anything about this?

No catch phrase. Guitarperson88's Avatar
    well if you want a Loomis tone, the best thing to go for would be a 7 string. Tune it down a half step. I know he uses seymour duncans for pickups and a schecter omen 7 custom made for him. I dunno about his amps. Brantley pretty much explained that to you. But as far as standards go, there you are.
    (enter catch phrase here)

yes I know that.

I mean for his lead parts what EQ settings would be good to get a similar sound? Also, what pedals or amps would be good to achieve this?

That I wouldn't know, just play around with it. I've never understood people's fascination with knowing EXACTLY what eq someone plays with, just use what you hvae to find a tone you like. I'd start off with everything at 5 (12 oclock). Play around like that, then adjust to your taste. He uses a Peavey XXX, but a lot of high gain amps could do the trick. You could also boost your dirty channel with a distortion/overdrive/EQ pedal. Try em out. Play around with it and have fun. Use your ear.

\m/

yeah that is pretty good advice. I think I should rely more on my ear. I tend to get too academic witht hings like tone when it should, I guess, really be more a representation of your own personal feel of the instrument. I'll start playing around with it. I just always think my tone sounds like garbage, even when other people ask me how I get my tone because they like it.

I'm gonna grab some new gear next month. I am thinking of either a Peavey XXX or a MESA triple rectifier. What distortion pedals do you think are good for metal? Do you like stomp boxes or digital multi-effects? I've been using a metal zone but I am not that happy with it....maybe I just suck at tone who knows...

Right now I'm using a stompbox EQ pedal to boost my solos (I use a Peavey 5150II, so I've already got enough gain for rhythm ), but if you have an amp that doesn't have a crapload of gain already, then I'd use a Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, MXR Wylde Overdrive, an EQ pedal, Ibanez Tubescreamer, or some similar box. They have gain, but not too much. Be sure to use it on your dirty channel so it basically just gives your amp more kick instead of ALL your distortion coming from the box (YUCK!). I hate the metal zone. Worst pedal ever. You can also check out http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php he's world reknown for upgrading pedals (like the ones I've already mentioned), and he also makes a more usable version of the metal zone, but I still wouldn't use it, heh. You can also buy new pedals straight from him (modified before they are shipped).

\m/

hmm...a good Loomis tone would be a 7-string Schecter with EMG-707's in the neck and bridge position, a Peavy XXX (if I'm not mistaken that's what he uses), a Line 6 POD Pro, or PODxt Live which is better becuz it's the floor model. I also believe he uses SIT strings, or something like that.As far as EQ settings I haven't really read anywhere that he uses a certain eq. Chances are if he has a rack that he doesn't really go into detail about he probably has an EQ rackmount which allows him to change his EQ via MIDI or something along those lines.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey