Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad popmusic!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    yeah.. you really have to go towards good music.. it won't come to you itself necessarily.
    That's it right there.You have to be supportive of good music and you have to shun bad music.Too many little kids like bad music just because it's what mtv tells them is new and exciting.Alot bands these days are really one hit wonders who became really famous because of one song and yet they are considered "good bands" because of this.If I buy an album and don't like atleast half the songs on it then I would be disappointed with it,maybe even feel cheated.If most of the songs on an album are good then I'm content with it.If all of the songs on an album are good then that's a good album.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jergason
    While I definatly don't like all styles of music, it seems like I can always find at least one cool thing in a song. So the next time you are in a car with your friend who blasts rap on purpose because he knows you hate it, just listen for something cool that you might be able to use!! Any little sound of pause or anything like that. It keeps me sane.
    exactly, especially the part about listeneing and taking whatever you can from it. The least you can do if it's offensive to your ears, is brush up on your listening skills. I can't help but sit and analyse almost everything I hear anyway. I 'll try and figure out how many tracks there are, or how they might have recorded certain things, or pick out two seperate lines and listen to the way they work together. And doing that when the music sucks is still valuable.

Another thing to note, not every musician is technically fantastic. That doesn't mean they can't make fantastic music or put any less emotion into it. Remember those C, G and D chords? How many great songs have come from ONLY those three chords? Sure, they're easy and there's little to them, but as has been said sooooo many times before, they can still be great tunes. I don't think all these guys decide that they want to be pop musicians as opposed to something else. They just want to be musicians. They want to make a living doing what they love. Yes, there are idiots out there who don't care about the music as much as they do about the money, but we have to remember that a lot of the pop-culture-crap gets created by the media and by us. For all we know,(-this is a rhetorical statement, by the way,-) poor Avril has been instructed on how she should present herself and she has listened. She's young, she may become more than she is now. She may choose a different genre of music, she may make us all eat our words someday...you never know

BUT.. one little thing just came to my mind:
    NOONE IS FORCED TO CONSUME MUSIC HE DOES NOT LIKE.
    you don't have to listen to it and you don't have to buy it.
    if you hate a track switch it of - leave the place.
    That is not entirely true and you know it. You know as well as me ( especially since you live in Germany ) that you can not avoid being exposed to popular music and consume it in some way.
    Turn on your radio... unless you listen to classical radio stations or have college radio stations, you will get pop music most of the time ( check out local stations like, in my case, Radio Herford which is playing in many shopping centers. Their heavy rotation is nerve-wracking. And the same goes for other "town / area radio stations I have heard". And donīt get me started on bigger german stations like 1Live ).
    You go to the mall, you are exposed to that kinda music... youīre at work, the radio is running... you listen to the radio in the train...you go to McD and see that channel... I think its called MTV.. they used to play music videos, now itīs mainly cellphone ring tone commercials with the occasional music video ).
    In your own apartment or car, you of course have a choice. But not in public, and thatīs where most of us hang out. Believe me, I have no TV and hardly ever listen to the radio. Yet, I know the Top 40 of this summer, and am bored to tears or even sick of hearing Eamonn and Marroon5 ( good song, but it gets sour after hearing it too often ) over and over.

I think what Eurydice was mainly complaining about was that the radio stations and TV do this heavy rotation thing and play silly songs over and over. While guys like RIchie Kotzen and others throw out awesome album after awesome album of radio-friendly AOR rock, the biggest radio stations in Germany play stuff like that Haiducci ( or however that is spelled ) so often that people start to become aggressive. And there were at least 3 different versions of that same song in the top 40, with minimal differences.

You said "reflecting the lifestyle of the youth. "
    It does. However, the question is what was first: Did the youth say "I wanna hear that Eamonn song 20 times a day" or are they manipulated by the music stations because they seem to be the ones to define what is hip... whatever they play or show is what most teens consider "cool, hip, trendy".
    You canīt tell me that MTV and Viva donīt have that influence. To a certain degree they react to what the kids like, but to an even higher degree they decide what the teens have to like by playing it over and over.
    Itīs the question whether pop music and those radio and TV stations reflectthe lifestyle of the youth, or whether the lifestyle of the youth reflects what those stations feel like promoting.
    Itīs a rather philosophical question, and I guess there is no easy answer.
    However, I disagree that you donīt have to consume this pop-muzsic, as even I dont have a TV or radio, I feel as if itīs being shoved down my throat.
    And I feel that "the youth" might occasionally like to listen to some other music, but arenīt aware of it. And they hardly are being made aware of it. Even with the internet accessible by most kids here, they simply seem to consider it easier to let Viva and MTV tell them what is hip and spoon-feed it to them.
    And guess whatwould happen if a "Viva-teen" falls in love with aRichie Kotzen tune. Even if he or she spreads the word, do you think the music channels would adjust to that and play him ? I think not.
    Just my opinion though
    Eric

great post eric, i agree with you, especially with the youth, you're right young people and also older people don't really get a chance to explore other musical styles, i mean here in my country there'r this new pathetic attempt of music genre called ''reggaeton'' wich is supposed to be a mix between reggae, rap and hip hop, or somethin' like that, man EVERY song has the same progression(wich is only two chords) and its just a loud bad-sounding bass with some keyboards and out of pitch singers singin' STRICTLY about havin' sex, but nevertheless is the most popular ''genre'' in my culturaly dead country, and the worst thing is that kids are ok and listen only that basically because its their only choise 'cause they don't know bands that take music seriously whatever genre it may be.
    man, there's some guy who can play eruption on the violin and i can't even do it on the guitar Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by debaser
    There is some rap music that I think is really good. I know as guitar players, we often look down on rap a bit, and sometimes deservedly so, but some rappers(the good ones) have a much more interesting sense of timing and syncopation than many rock players.
    Agreed. I much rather listen to classic innovative hip-hop like Public Enemy and De La Soul than the thousands of derivative guitar based acts out there whether metal, indie, blues whatever. Thing is there's so much crap being done with guitars it makes me wanta swap mine for a pair of turntables.

1st: i really can't remember when i was forced to listen to music i don't like. honestly. and i am sorry if anyone was violently forced to listen to crap.

2nd: i don't care what mtv and viva and radiostations are playing and of course it sucks if they play the worst songs over and over again - but i don't care.

3rd: saying that noone has a chance to find music he likes is not true. simple as that. at least not in germany and the u.s.. and i don't think in any other country music consists only of top 40.

4th. i don't understand how some of you can feel so threatend by bad songs! or by people listening to them!

5th: of course it would be cool if the radio stations would play ritchie kotzen albums - but they won't do it. so what now? getting pissed off?

Yet, I know the Top 40 of this summer, and am bored to tears or even sick of hearing Eamonn and Marroon5 ( good song, but it gets sour after hearing it too often ) over and over.
    why do you let that music bore you so much that you could cry? - go and listen to music that makes you cry because its so good!

But not in public, and thatīs where most of us hang out.
    if you hang out at places where they play music it is not the musics or medias fault. you went to that place.

youīre at work, the radio is running... you listen to the radio in the train...
    i switch the radio off at work and where i live there is no music on the trains

i don't fell offended somehow like a lot of you do.
    i am just sick of acting like a victim of bad music or music that they don't like?
    where is the sense in complaining that britney spears made another bad album that gets played everywhere?

sometimes it sounds like bad music just jumps on you and leaves me out. gosh i'm lucky.. don't take it personal. just don't let something you don't like affect you that much that it gets on your nerves!

You canīt tell me that MTV and Viva donīt have that influence. To a certain degree they react to what the kids like, but to an even higher degree they decide what the teens have to like by playing it over and over.
    of course they are influecing and vice a versa. who to blame?
    that's a difficult one true.

And I feel that "the youth" might occasionally like to listen to some other music, but arenīt aware of it. And they hardly are being made aware of it. Even with the internet accessible by most kids here, they simply seem to consider it easier to let Viva and MTV tell them what is hip and spoon-feed it to them.
    that's what i said elsewhere. for most of the kids the music doesn't have the value like for instance it has for us. they go the easy way by listening whats consumed easily and whats cheap!
    you can't compare what an emotional value music has to a "cloneband-kid" with the value that it has for someone who is making music passionately himself for half his life.

i know that 90% of the youths music taste sucks - but so what! we can be lucky to be different and musicaly more demanding and grown up - but there is no way in convincing them.

1st: i really can't remember when i was forced to listen to music i don't like. honestly. and i am sorry if anyone was violently forced to listen to crap.

2nd: i don't care what mtv and viva and radiostations are playing and of course it sucks if they play the worst songs over and over again - but i don't care.

3rd: saying that noone has a chance to find music he likes is not true. simple as that. at least not in germany and the u.s.. and i don't think in any other country music consists only of top 40.

4th. i don't understand how some of you can feel so threatend by bad songs! or by people listening to them!

5th: of course it would be cool if the radio stations would play ritchie kotzen albums - but they won't do it. so what now? getting pissed off?

why do you let that music bore you so much that you could cry? - go and listen to music that makes you cry because its so good!

if you hang out at places where they play music it is not the musics or medias fault. you went to that place.
    Look for christ sake, unless you live the life of a recluse and never go outside of your front door then you will not be able to avoid it, period.

Me too. Its not what I said either. No one held me at gunpoint and forced me. It does feel like being forced if most radio stations have the same constant heavy rotation, TV shows ( if I ever get to watch TV somewhere ) use current hits as a background etc

3rd: saying that noone has a chance to find music he likes is not true.
    I agree. I didnt say that either. Its just not encouraged. And I have a certain feeling that some people think they have heard most of the available music just because they keep watching MTV.

I dont. Didnt use exclamation marks when I wrote. Im perfectly calm writing all this. I am just a bit tired of it.

I am not pissed. Thats why I post this at a public place. Someone might read it, think about it and try to tell some friends who are caught on heavy rotation-stuff.

"bored to tears" is a rather common saying, and is not to be taken literally. Like... "bored to death" etc. And you probably have figured that I DO listen to the music I like whenever I can.

So if I go shopping, wait in the waiting room of the dentist, go to McDonalds... well, do you avoid places you HAVE to go to because of the music they play ? And I dont run around with clenched fists and complain. I just am a bit tired, and I am not pi**ed at all. Justa bit of frustration built up. And just my opinion

i switch the radio off at work and where i live there is no music on the trains
    In many cases you CANT turn off the radio, if there are others working around you and want to listen to it. Just one example.
    i am just sick of acting like a victim of bad music or music that they don't like?
    You made your point, I made mine. If you are n the happy position to avoid all music you dont like, congratulations. If you happen to not notice, great. Leave others their right to get angry, thats what brought a lot of changes in the music scene as well ( like in the old days when rock first apeared on the scene )

where is the sense in complaining that britney spears made another bad album that gets played everywhere?
    I dont know. maybe the ones who do will tell you, I didnt say that.

sometimes it sounds like bad music just jumps on you and leaves me out. gosh i'm lucky..
    Again, thats reat

don't take it personal.
    I dont, hope you dont either... just voicing our opinions.
    Eric

I gotta say one thing to this, guys - while I agree that most pop music (hell, most of the stuff in the mainstream, period) is total garbage, there's one simple solution that can mean a lot even if only half the people on this board do it - turn the bloody radio off! Listen to your own cd's, support places that play what you want to hear, buy cd's from people you like, etc. I haven't listened to the radio in literally years and neither have a lot of people I know. It may take a while, and it will take a whole lot more people, but eventually, when noone gives a flying dog **** about what's on K-SHT eventually there will be a better variety. I also think that if (and this is delving somewhat into the realm of politics) that a lot of awful music (including but not limited to: boy bands, Britney clones, banal whiners like matchbox 20, etc.) would be completely ignored if just a little relevant music theory were taught in late elementary or middle school, and definitely in high school - if people are taught how music works, idiots on the radio whose output consists of repeating two notes over and over for eight minutes will quickly fall out, as will most of that godawful 'soft rock' that has nothing in common with music except that it is treated like it, where some dumbass whines about his life so that unqualified DJs who think they have lives can blast it over the airwaves to teenage girls who think it will give them a life. Seriously, the kids don't need to be miniature Bachs, and the majority of them still won't know what the hell's so good about Bird and Miles, but if the standards are raised more garbage will fall under.

As for people talking about the awful bands of the 60s and 70s, it's true that they had their good bands (definitely more than their fair share, I'd say) but then again they also had a much higher ratio of good bands to awful bands. Today does have *some* good bands, but not nearly enough to make up for the tons of crap unloaded on unsuspecting passive listeners. Frank Zappa made a perfect point when he said that pop music was the most banal, uninteresting, and neutral stuff the labels could put out.

I guess the moral of this story is, if people collectively inform the powers that be that noone really has any interest anymore, and if people were more actively exposed to more complex music (and the theory behind it), quality of music would have no choice but to go up. Then again, it has hit rock bottom, and unless popheads are able to completely defy the metaphysical findings of the last 20 years, it *can* only go up. I guess time will tell - but one of you guys will have to tell me when it gets good, because I've got better things to do that waste my mind away over the crap already out there.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Blues/Shred Area corner Progressive st Rock City
    Even Richard Marx (Endless Summer Nights) is way much better in the 80's than today.everything is pop music today. Metallica, Korn, Limp... they are all pop hiding on loud guitars and massive drum sounds... no problem with that. Just not my thing, avoid it if you don't like it. No matter how MTV and Radio support them, it still down to us if we will grab it... I'm grabbing indies and underground things (old school stuff)...

would it be great if Delta will have a comeback?

www.youhavebadtasteinmusic.com
    "You have a blue guitar, you don't play things as they are"

of course everybody has to listen to crap at mcD and some other places out there but it doesn't make me angry anymore.
    it just sounds like people complaining about all the bad music and that they feel personally threatend.

so i said my opinions and leave this thread now for those who want to complain about all the bad music out there.
    Last edited by phantom; 10-07-2004 at 08:41 AM.

hey eric,

great to see youīre back.

I donīt wanna repeat what Iīve already wrote to answer this thread, BUT(!!!)
    I do remember 3 guys drivinī 400+Km to watch and enjoy your and rickyīs gig in herford.

maybe there was a time in which public media presented more quality music
    ( I still donīt believe this ), but there has NEVER been a time in which I ( and everyone else ) was able to choose from such a huge offer. thanks to the brave new world for this variety.
    "Truth is the invention of a liar." - von Foerster

Guys,
    if you go to eat at McD, you gonna eat crap, why should the music they play there be any better than the food they're offering ....
    If you choose to eat there, you don't deserve any better than having to listen to all that music they're playing there

Occasionally I eat there, too, and actually the music (as all the other top 40 stuff on the radio, TV or in the mall) doesn't bother me that much. At home I still can listen to whatever I like !

Cheers
    Lars

Marc,

hello again. Yes, I remember that you gyus came all that way to check out the show, and I still feel honored by that !
    I of couse know that there are a lot of people go out of their way to find music they like, wherever they can find it. Most of us here prolly do, I have always done it, and many of my friends and students do.
    And I didnt mean to say that NO ONE does or can.

By the way, I still wanna come over to your area and check out a show of yours ( and what about that jam ? )
    Eric