Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's the Where Do I Begin Question

Well, I heard about some small cult-like groups who celebrate and worship guitar gods such as the mighty St.Vai and a certain swedish Viking king, but other than that, I think youŽll be fine listening to your favorite music and the guitar players involved, to get some inspiration and motivation....

Warm regards
    Eric

NP: Michael Hedges- Aerial Boundaries

You sure there are no real gods? I am in about the same situation as Bongo, and I DEFINITELY agree with him. Time for the infamous flying leap...

Lock yourself up and play!

Remove all distractions and play.
    You can listen to other music or completely shut yourself off for a period of time and study theory maybe develop your own 12 tone theory.
    Find a discipline that works for you, work hard at it every day then 10 minutes before quitting time PLAY with no preconception no thought.

Try not to think about it during this type of practice.
    Every day finish your session off this way, it is good for your brain and it is a tremendous release, you will sleep better.
    Tomarrow's practice will be more fun knowing you have this spontaenous frenzy to look forward to.

Afer a few weeks this will start to sound like somthing, what?

It will start to sound like YOU, not ____ (place your favorite guitar hero here) YOU. In a couple of months people that hear this frenzy will be able to recoginze YOU. You will be on the road to having your own Style.

Begin to record this when it starts to sound good, then be critical and recogize your weaknesses, this is where you should spend your time, reducing your liabilities. Also make note of when it sounds good, try to imitate yourself during these moments.
    Takes some of these inspired ideas and string them together into a piece of music the WORK on it until you are satisfied. Then try to do it again with no thought no effort, when you can do this record it again.
    Sounds good doesn't it?

By this time you are going to have a pretty good idea what your style and direction are going to be, I hope you like it since it is not going to change alot during your life.

Enjoy the Quest

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    That's really an amazing insight packed into a short message. I can appreciate what you say...it's remarkably close to my experience so far with the congas. It's as though there's some rhythm or pattern that's been a basic theme since I was a kid. This 'theme' is one I always get to eventually--in one form or variation--during practice.

I've also started collecting some of the stuff I'll need for recording, since I know how useful it can be to dramatize progress over time. It's a great motivator. That I can even get my stiff, uncoordinated fingers to find and hold a C chord this week is a major accomplishment--last week when I tried for the first time I thought I'd never be able to do it, even with all the time in the world.

Time

I am an old guy who has been around for awhile to learn these things.