Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sight- reading books??

Post Sight- reading books??

Anybody have any experience with these books, i really want to buy me a book, but i cant choose which!!
    anyone??
    Do i have to pay taxes if i order from amazon.com and ship or fly the books to Europe?
    P.S, i cant thank GUNI enogh for his articles about intervals, triads, and chord scales, before i found this site i didnt have a clue about any theory, so thank God i found this site!!

NP- Satryicon- Volcano

Re: Sight- reading books??

Originally posted by JEM555
    Anybody have any experience with these books, i really want to buy me a book, but i cant choose which!!
    anyone??
    Ok, I again gotta refer to William Leavitt and Berkleepress. Leavitt wrote 2 in my view great books full of exercises for the guitar focusing on sight-reading. The cool thing is that you gradually work yourself up the neck. So you start in open position, move on to I position, II etc ..... which for me was a great way of 1) learning the positions and fingerings and 2) recognizing all the note names in these positions.

The books I am talking about are entitled: 'Reading Studies for Guitar' and 'Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar'.

Do i have to pay taxes if i order from amazon.com and ship or fly the books to Europe?
    In general there's no sales tax. Say. for example sheetmusicplus.com: I'm in Europe too and so far I ordered a few books from them. If you select a country in Europe sales tax will be subtracted. Furthermore, they give you options on how to ship to Europe. By air will cost you around $7.

One thing that might happen is that your local tax office opens the package and forces you to pay import tax on it. I sneaked through with a few books but for one book (priced around $25) I had to pay 6 import tax (bummer).

All in all, if you can find the item in Europe I'd buy it here. Otherwise amazon.com or sheetmusicplus.com are doing a great job. I haven't tried any others up to now.

Hope that helps.

P.S, i cant thank GUNI enogh for his articles about intervals, triads, and chord scales, before i found this site i didnt have a clue about any theory, so thank God i found this site!!
    Thanks a lot man. This means a lot to me.

Cu around.

Guni

NP: Wayne Krantz "2 Drinks Minimum"