Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Pitch Club

"...new research from the University of California, San Diego has found a strong link between speaking a tone language – such as Mandarin – and having perfect pitch, the ability once thought to be the rare province of super-talented musicians. "

http://www.plebius.org/article.php?article=659
    "All bad poetry is sincere" -- Oscar Wilde

IMHO opinion there is no such thing as perfect pitch. Perfect pitch would be the ability to tell the difference between 440 kHZ and 441 kHz. The only thing in the world that can tell that difference is a digital instrument measuring it. Not even analogous meters can accurately tell you the pitch. Now if your talking about pitch difference between 440 kHz and 466 kHz (the difference between A and A#) then someone wouldn't have perfect pitch but just be able to recognize a certain note within a certain tolerance of ±13kHz.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

i think it not important to measure right down to the 1's place. you're takin' it too literally but technically youre prolly right. it'd be a rare mang who could do that.
    "All bad poetry is sincere" -- Oscar Wilde

shred beginner
    Mitch you said your mom taught you to read when you were 2.5 years old... what did you mean? because i want to teach my brother's son how to play the guitar and perfect pitch would be very helpful to him..

Courses?

Are there any perfect pitch training courses that ACTUALLY work? Because most of them are obviously not what they claim to be e.g "Get Perfect Pitch In 30 Days Or Your Money Back!"?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyvegas43
    Are there any perfect pitch training courses that ACTUALLY work? Because most of them are obviously not what they claim to be e.g "Get Perfect Pitch In 30 Days Or Your Money Back!"?
    I am living proof that the davis lucas burge program works.

Although I am also a firm believer that it will NOT work unless you have someone to test you. The excersizes are made so that it's possible to test yourself, but I found that my muscle memory on both guitar and piano were so much higher then my ears that I was able to instantaneously narrow the note down within a semi tone or two without even listening to the note.

I also didn't like how there was SO much time spent in C Major. I got through 12 or 13 of the 24 lessons before I started comming up with my own excersizes. That took me about 8 months or so partly because a lot of the time was focused on ear training for school. I listened a few lessons ahead and at lesson 15 or 16 the majority of the stuff was still in C Major with the occassional sharp or flat.

So it worked for me, but I had someone to test me nearly every day and started making up my own stuff after I had developed about half the perfect pitch I currently have.

I have the david lucas burge program, but I haven't had the time to get round to doing it at the moment.

I also met a guy from my college yesterday who has perfect pitch, he realised he had it when he was around 10, hes a piano player, its so cool. There were songs playing in the club we were in, and I was like testing him. I was saying oh that chord sounds like an E major chord, and he was like "aah no its a B major" then i was testing him on the keys of songs, I'd randomly say "what key is this song in" and he'd listen for a few seconds for some chords to be played, then he'd reply straight away "its in C#".

After meeting someone for the first time with perfect pitch, i really want to try the david lucas burge course because the stuff he could do was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJo
    I have the david lucas burge program, but I haven't had the time to get round to doing it at the moment.

I also met a guy from my college yesterday who has perfect pitch, he realised he had it when he was around 10, hes a piano player, its so cool. There were songs playing in the club we were in, and I was like testing him. I was saying oh that chord sounds like an E major chord, and he was like "aah no its a B major" then i was testing him on the keys of songs, I'd randomly say "what key is this song in" and he'd listen for a few seconds for some chords to be played, then he'd reply straight away "its in C#".

After meeting someone for the first time with perfect pitch, i really want to try the david lucas burge course because the stuff he could do was so cool.
    Don't let the "coolness" of it be the only reason. Relative pitch is far more important. No matter how many 'party tricks' you're able to do, everything always seems to come back to relative pitch....that, and I've never met someone my age that had perfect pitch and was significantly better then me or anyone else my age.

Just my oppinion

Silent-Storm, you really think that doing the exercises alone won't help developing perfect pitch in the course??
    I'm on masterclass 6 and i still don't hear those colors, by the way i just started a new thread about this course...

I honestly have no recollection of what was going on in lesson 6 or 7, but give it a year of drilling it in your head before you get worried about not hearing things.

I suppose if you were a very beginer instrumentalist you could play a note and honestly not have a clue as to what it is. But as soon as you start memorizing songs you start learning muscle memory and associating that with pitch and I believe that it creeps into the note guessing far to easily for practicing alone to be all that effective. There are some things on your own that are great, such as trying to think of a note in your head, then singing it to see if you are anywhere near close. But for straight guessing you can't come close to having someone play it for you...in my oppinion.

Oh and I also have a big problem with the fact that it stays in C major for so flippin long on the piano stuff.

pp

When I got a catchy tune. I check the first note on an instrument.

Next time I'm hearing the ****ing tune in my head, I know exactly which note the first one is. I check it on the instrument
    and there it is, perfect pitch.

P.S.
    I noticed about perfect pitch owners. They always talk about their abilities. But they never say how they aquired them. Maybe they don't give a **** about it, cause they already have it.

im doing david lucas burge. and i can now sing every singel note and also hear them. but not like. really fast. and i can only hear the notes when played on a piano. i cant really transpose a solo by one time listening. i will keep on practising. but, do i have perfect pitch when i can do the things i can do now? and what is it?

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Perfect, theoretical and relative pitch

Many people claim Beethoven had perfect pitch because he wrote music while being deaf. I wonder though. Relative pitch is someting you can learn by studying intervals and ear training. Once you learn to recognize the intervals you have relative pitch.

Theoretical pitch is when you know what a chord sounds like on your guitar and you know how it looks on the staff. So my point is you can think of a G chord, to C chord , then to a D chord. In your mind you know this a I IV V progression. YOu already know what it sounds like and know how to write out the notes.

When people see me do this they think I have this amazing talent but it is really no different than someone who understands algebra explaining an example without any actual physical or tangable item, just the math.

We all know what that sounds like so if I write out the chords without the guitar or piano in front of me I already know exactly what it will sound like. Or even a I VI II IV, or a II V I. This is what I call theoretical pitch. Yes, I too could probably do this totally deaf.

I am a firm believer that "perfect pitch" is something that some people can do. Like I play a note on the piano and you know EXACTLY which key is being played.

The piano scale ranges can be learned at a deeper level as individual entities. Middle C sounds different than Big c, an octave below. I am a firm believer that perfect pitch is an obtainable goal but probably the most difficult.

It would be kind of like studying Kung Fu, taking years of concentration and dedication to master.

I personally use relative pitch and theoretical pitch all the time but perfect pitch is something I do not yet have mastered..but I will...

I would trade perfect pitch for perfect relative pitch any day.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-storm
    I would trade perfect pitch for perfect relative pitch any day.
    In total agreement. Perfect pitch with no Relative Pitch is like knowing your alphabets and not knowing how to form words and thus sentences with them.

Would like to add that am using David Lucas´ Relative and Perfect Pitch courses which I borrowed from my local library.

Am still stuck on a couple of lessons in both but am not giving up. It´s good noting the improvements I have achieved so far. It was a total shocker to admit just how bad my ears were. I´ve played piano for over 10 years and never once did my teacher teach me how to recognise intervals! We just read, read, read and played from that!

I haven´t been attending classes for the last 5 months. I just decided to train my ears personally for a while.