Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: OneNotePerString

OneNotePerString

Hi Folks

I got some interessting alternate picking exercise ,
    This thing came in mind when I listen to Steve Morse "Tumeni Notes"
    (The Alternate picked Arps)
    My approach is to concentrate on the right hand (the hand holding the pick)
    I recorded this example to demonstrate my clue
    I only play on the last 4 string : starting with the last :
    e , a ,d and g
    To focus the right hand technique, it is nesessary to use static fingerings .(you donīt have to fret every note seperately as Steve Morse does)
    In my example I used basic chords : Em C (with g c e g), B(with
    f# b d# g) , Am7 (with a c e g) and G (with g b d g)
    All notes are muted with palm , take care of the g string , it tends to ring out , it is important that all notes can be heard seperately.
    All notes are triplets,and start with an downstroke.
    try to hold the pick in a 0 degree or 180 degree angle to the strings your sound gets much more attack .

I hope this is a bit helpful for some of you

bye
    Paul

PS: Sorry for my weak english , Iīm trying my best!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey there,

very nice indeed. I have most of my students do this kind of exercise at some point, the "alternate picking on adjacent strings, one note per string"-stuff.
    A very helpful exercise
    Eric

Nice exercise and it really sound nice

I like that. Your picking technique is very impressive.

I saw a Steve Morse lesson/video at guitar.com or somewhere where he plays the Tumeni Notes type thing. I was amazed at the sheer speed he achieved. Your demo is about the same speed! That's incredible.

I've been working on that technique every few weeks but I haven't put in enough work to get much past 16th notes at 130bpm. I didn't even consider triplets! That is very cool.

Unfortunately, when I started playing about 20 years ago I developed a technique similar to Frank Gambale. I use 'inside' picking. This was great for awhile, but I can't play for 5 hours every day anymore so it was hard to keep consistent meter. It's a bummer because I worked on that technique for a long time and I am fairly proficient at it.

I made the switch to strict alternate picking this year and now I'm slow! The exercise you play here is probably the best way to convince my brain that strict alternate picking is good!

I feel inspired to work on alternate picking exercises!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Okay, so I said I was inspired to work on some alternate picking and I was... so I came up with a tune w/ triplets and alternate picking which eases the monotony of playing exercises all day.

This tune is in G major and is all diatonic. The chord forms are straight up bar chords, nothing fancy here. There's a brief change to the relative minor (Em) and then back to G major for a little dazzle (maybe it's more of a glint...) before repeating.

Once again, I'm just learning how to use powertab so bear with me...

I think the important takeaway here is that:
    1. I was inspired to learn a new skill
    2. I experimented a little bit to figure out what was going on
    3. I wrote a tune/exercise that I can use to develop this skill

My example is obviously much simpler than the original post, but it'll take a lot of work before I can play like he can! You have to start somewhere!
    -Bizarro

Here's a midi version in case you don't have powertab.
    -Bizarro

Hi Bizarro !

Thank you for kind words !

There are some good ways to practise this technique,
    (they helped me a lot)

I focused my picking on 2 strings (for example the low e and a or even low e and d )now I actually fretted no chord , I made a kind of barré at 12th fret to produce these standard flagolet (you surely know what I mean)
    I started picking with constant shape :
    e e e a e e (triplets) then
    e e e d e e (skiping the a string) then

d u d u d u ( alternate picking starting with a downstroke, after some practise I felt comfortable with that and tried the same notes starting with an upstroke)

at last I went over the last four strings
    here is an audio example of me doing that :

Bye ,
    Paul
    PS: I tried this insane Frank Gambale techique too , but this kind of thing is nothing for me
    I listen to your Tab , itīs very nice , why donīt you tab with GuitarPro3 itīs much better than PowerTAB (I think :-)

3FingerJoe
    You could do a better job of communicating here if you would post your ideas in tab and or music staff. We mostly use powertab because it does this well. I like your exercises but most people will not be able to figure them out with out music or tab.
    James
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

I agree regarding Powertab. Of course itīs up to you what TAB-program you wanna use ( there are several on the market ), but I think itīs cool that most of us consider Powertab a standard.

I checked out Guitar pro once, but not for too long, so I really canīt comment on it too much. It had some cool features, but I think the biggest drawback was that it didnīt not feature notation at all ( which I think is really a cool feature, especially in combination with TAB ). And also, I believe you have to purchase a license, while Powertab ( which has plenty of cool features ) is ( still ) for free.

OF COURSE that is just my opinion, but I prefer Powertab, and I think itīs a good thing that most of the users who post TAB / notation at ibreathe are using it to do so.
    Warm regards
    Eric

I think tab without the music staff is useless!
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Hi Folks

Iīm totally new to this page here , and I will of course follow your advices .
    To Eric : Against your arguments there is nothing to add ,
    PowerTab has classic notation , this is very cool
    but one thing thatīs prevents me from using powertab is that missing PLAY that tab (with midi) Function, or maybe I īve overseen it (I hope so)
    Does anybody know how to hear a file in PowerTab ???

Greetings
    Paul

I am using Powertab V1.7 ( the one that you can currently download from the POWERTAB-website ), and once you created a TAB ( or loaded one from another transcriber ), you can play back the TAB as a MIDi by pressing the Play-button above the TAB window.

The older versions of Powertab did not support this. The current version has the typical GM-standard and sounds good when you play stuff back or ( another option ) export a MIDI-file.
    Eric

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Eric !!!

This will help for sure

Bye and Good Night , my clock shows 1.11 pm