Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Need arpeggio exercise ideas

Question Need arpeggio exercise ideas

Hi all,
    has anybody got any good exercises to practice Arpeggios? I have learned the shapes, major, minor, augmented, diminished. When practicing, I just play the shapes, but don't feel i'm doing anything with them. I need some sort of exercises to learn how to apply them, not just play them, even parts of solos would do, one phrase I use to practice them is Miracle Man by Mr. Wylde

Any ideas welcome,

a good thing would be playing them through chord changes. first of all i'd play them diatonicly up and down - cmaj, dmin, emin, fmaj, etc. in different keys.
    try to add the 7th or even more upper extensions. maybe try tapping or string skipping as well.
    if you have a programm like "band in a box" you can quickly type in the chords, have it play for you and then you can arpeggio all over it.
    you could go through the circle of fifth also, or play II - V chord changes in all keys.

more info

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    you could go through the circle of fifth also, or play II - V chord changes in all keys.
    Thanks phantom, that will make it more intresting, just a few questions, what is the circle of 5ths? and what are II-V chord changes. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've only started to learn guitar recenly and I seem to have a lot to learn.

Well just think of a chord progression you know and just play the arpeggios, or just make a progression up. Also you could take a jazz piece and improvise over it only using the arpeggios of the chords. This is tough but will definitly get you better acquainted to the fretboard, especially if its a tough piece, like Giant Steps or ALl the Things you Are.

If you're just starting out I'd say stay away from Giant Steps, and "All the things you are" and try "Autumn Leaves", that one pretty much stays in one key (Gm/C Dorian) or even try the well known I - IV - V (say in C Major C - F - G you can find that one in tons of songs including The Beatles' Twist and Shout and Los Lobos' La Bamba) keep it simple and listen up for interesting sounds, if you REALLY want to explore each one of those arpeggios to the maximum do what Chris said and play a vamp (a rhythmic acompaniment) over one single chord, like C Maj7 and play your diatonic arpegios over that and see how it sounds. If you're more into the rock side of it... well, just pick out a song like say "Crazy Train" or "Mr Crowley" by Ozzy and play arpeggios over the changes (the chords are simpler so you have space for experimentation) in either case LISTEN, and find what's good, you can always wok on your finger dexterity with exercises, use scales, arpegios and such to make musical ideas instead of shredding 24/7. Just my humble opinion.

I hope this helps.

Good luck on your experiments.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I agree with not shredding 24/7 (the fact I can't enforces that!) I was looking to relate arps. with rock playing. The ozzy solos are are great place to start,

Thanks

sjm.

Here's a cool altered blues progression in the jazz-style of Joe Pass.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks a lot PassTheJoe, three questions though,
    - What sort of tempo is this played at?
    - what are the numbers above the notes?
    - Do you have any similar stuff - or where can I get pdfs like that one?

thanks once more,

S.

I'm also trying to improve my arpeggio playing and sight reading.
    I'd also like to have some more material like the Joe Pass Blues above. This is really great.

Quote Originally Posted by pennywise
    Thanks a lot PassTheJoe, three questions though,
    - What sort of tempo is this played at?
    - what are the numbers above the notes?
    - Do you have any similar stuff - or where can I get pdfs like that one?

thanks once more,

S.
    The JP style sheet came from this site (probably a good idea to give credit where it's due). You can download finale notepad for free here

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

and use it to play that as well as the rhythm changes arpeggios The numbers are simply the strings each group of notes is played on. Tempo cis flexible

Good luck!

Sorry I left the first link out of the previous message

http://danadler.com/jazztrans/