Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Practice Plans

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar

Personal Practice Plans

A recent thread in the Getting Started forum had a few of us sharing our progress (or lack of progress) with one another, and I was wondering if the following would be appealing to anyone.

Suppose that, under our Member Profile section of this site there was a freeform text area that was labeled "Practice Plan", where we could write down a fairly detailed description of what we practice and for how long.

A wacky idea, but I was thinking it might be cool (if we kept them updated, of course) if these were public, and anyone could view anyone else's to get ideas, etc. You could also refer other folks to it in the context of specific questions you might have about your learning progress, etc.

A "last modified date" would be a handy feature for others, as well.

Concept?
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Great idea!

We could list goals, schedules and so on.

that would rule!!!!!

...and part of the idea is that it's a frequently-asked question that goes something like, "Uh...I don't know what I should practice. Hep meh."

I guess if it can't be an 'official' thing, we could always just use our sig space.

Sounds like a great thing to stick in my sig until it becomes an actual feature
    I'm in the process of rearranging my practice schedule anyway.... what a quinky dink.

Great idea O Boy, we can also use the chat software to upload our practice files

I'm in now (with two jobs Steve Vai's 30 hour workout is a little bit of an overkill ) .
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Quote Originally Posted by forgottenking2
    ...with two jobs Steve Vai's 30 hour workout is a little bit of an overkill ) .
    Now see...THAT's the kind of slacker attitude we're trying to overcome!!

(I'm still working on Lessons 1 and 2 since the 30hr workout was published in Guitar Player..what, 3 months ago?).

man, what is this "30 hour workout"?

please give me link if possible...

LOL Bongo... alright, I'll do it

Osiris, it got published in Guitar World, March 2004. You can still find it in Barns and Noble and Guitar Center.

My Schedulle:

I try to surround myself with music as often as I can (I use yahoo launch at work instead of radio so I can hear the music I want to hear) and I am lucky enough to be teaching (that does wonders to your ear!), I am pretty busy but I try to allocate 1-4 hours a day to practice focused... 4-10 on weekends, the problem is (and most of us self-suported, family head, etc adults have the same problem) I can't allocate a regular amount of time so some days I practice more, some others less. With that in mind I'll post an ideal schedulle (which I probably follow once or twice a week, most of the time I just kinda stretch it onto two days and just kinda picked up where I left.)

Section 1: 30 min to 2 Hrs

Finger Exercises (including a warm up, chromatics, string crossing, picking
    etudes, legatto, sweep picking etc) Focused on the
    mechanics of the motion, unmusical stuff if you will.

Section 2: 30 min to 2 Hrs

Improvisation: (Scales and arpegios with some kind of chordal vamp trying to
    do some melodic exploration and such, coming up with
    motives and stuff) As musical as I can get, I try not to get
    into shredding (not that my technique will allow much of
    that) since the previous section should have taken care of
    my hunger for speed.

Section 3: 10 min to an Hour

Chord Vocabulary: (I got turned into this by William Leavit's book first and
    then by Vai's workout, it was amazing to realize how
    ignorant I was when it came to practical chord voicings,
    so I added a section to work on that)

Section 4: 20 min to 2+ Hrs

Sight Reading: (Another one to credit Mr. Leavit for, this has improved my
    ear and of course my rythm, I recomend this to everybody)

Section 5: 1 to 6 Hrs

Writing, rehearsing, learning new repertoire and stuff like that. I sometimes get caught up into what I'm doing and I kinda neglect the strict routine, funny enought this tends to happen the most on weekends, when I'm more relaxed (that's why I put the 6 hrs as an upper limit).

So yeah, that's pretty much my practice schedulle.

I hope this helps people who don't know where to start

Regards,

I have a very similar problem with my practice schedual, between school, work, being a pothead, surfing, and my girlfriend ( who now lives with me, shares my car etc... ) My pratice time has dropped from like 4 hours at least a day to around 2:00 hours, and usualy those 2 hours are split up into two seperate hours. So it that makes it sort of difficult as some days ill have a bunch of time ( if shes at work ) and somedays I wont have any time, like when I have work all morning, and then school all day, when I get home around 9:00 All I wanna do is play guitar, but then you got designate your girlfriend entertainment time so it pretty much ends up on those days that I just read / pratice basic theory before bed. So rant over,

I basicly spend the first 20 minutes of any pratice routine, doing the independant finger excerise, from there i practice steve morse appregios, and etude that is posted on the site.

The next 20 minutes I spend just praticing diffrent patterns form Erics and Gunis articles on the penatonics.

Next hour or so ( at least for the last month ) Ill try and transcribe some more of cherokee Jam and work on smoothing out Angel ( jimi tracks )

And after that ill record a blues or rock progression and pratice making a simple solo over it. Usualy this is where my pratice ends, but recently I have been trying to include some chord studying, but the extent of that is just learning jazz chords to through into a 12 bar blues progression, like 9ths, minor 7ths and Maj 7ths. I alwayse use a metranome, and alwayse leave time to listen to some music I realy like before I try and jam along with anything.

Resident Musician
    While I don't have a practice schedule firmly in place (i'm one of those family types with very little time), I mainly focus on arpeggios from Guni's article and scale patterns and sequences from Eric's articles, as well as some etudes and lessons from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. I don't have times set to each part, I just sit down with all the info I have, pick what I think I need most work on, and go with it. I need to find some more etudes for arpeggios, as right now I'm just traversing the circle of fifths, and there's very little musical association, just playing patterns over the fretboard. It's good for now, as it is imprinting them on my brain so I don't have to think of them as much, but I want to hear them in some kind of musical context.

James

I like the idea of posting a practice schedule/goals. I need something to be accountable for I'm a little , well , lazy. Without school/lessons or a band, I can afford to be unfocused.

As Bongo said, maybe in the profiles........if it's just in a thread, I can loose track of it and continue to be unfocused.

:Mike