Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: metronome help

Question metronome help

when practicing with a metronome what do you do when you want to go faster than 216bpms. I have found myself limiting my speed because i don't know how to do this please help!!!!!!!!!
    Jimmy Page is Awsome!

You play 8th, 16th or 32nd notes. I guess you've just been playing one note per click? (quarter notes). If so, just start playing two notes per click (8th notes) or three (triplet feel) or four (16th) or eight (32nd) If you can play 32nd notes at 216bpm then you are nearing not being human.
    click....click....click...click...

The Metronome Calleth

Yeah, for example if i wanna play at a 300 tempo but my mentronome cant do it, You just split it in half to 150 and instead of playing on every beat ,you play cut time, and play twice per beat. You can still play that song the same speed at 150 and be in time, the metronome will just click after more beats. I suppose when you have it up that high that your playing a note per beat (or click) so just play 2 notes per beat at 150 (just split the tempo in half) and its the exact same. I tried putting it in lamen terms cause i know not alot of people have had music lessons (i only know cause im in band) and therefore may not know what 8th notes and 16ths are and such.

bah i just realized Axe, you explained it in simple terms too, the little parenthesesesesesesese (dont ask o.o) threw me off... LoL anyway i hope the answers helped ya zep
    Last edited by GtrvVampyre; 05-07-2004 at 04:42 AM.

Just for the record, cut time is not the same as playing eighth notes in 4/4. Cut time means played in 2/2 which is more like a march. I think if anything you could call it double time....

-Dan
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

Quote Originally Posted by DanF
    Just for the record, cut time is not the same as playing eighth notes in 4/4. Cut time means played in 2/2 which is more like a march. I think if anything you could call it double time....

-Dan
    thats it! double time was what i was thinking of but forogot the word. Thanks
    im in marching band as well as concert and they are forever tlaking about cut time so thats just what came to mind.

thanks that really helps alot!!!
    Jimmy Page is Awsome!

the little parenthesesesesesesese (dont ask o.o)
    I'm sorry, but I have too ask
    click....click....click...click...

The Metronome Calleth