Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Playing Lead

Playing Lead

I just recently started playing some lead work in my band. I've been really working the heck out the major and minor pentatonic scales. My question is this: Do you always play a minor pentatonic lead in the key to which the song is played? I mean, if the song is in Am, do you always play a lead in the Am pentatonic scale? Thanks for the help.

Badmood

NO! somtimes I don't use pentatonics at all.
    be careful with always and never.
    Rephrase your question, so it can be answered.
    Last edited by szulc; 09-30-2002 at 11:16 AM.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Hi Badmood - welcome to the forums.

Using am Pentatonic is a good start. As you probably realize this works well. As a next step you could try experimenting with other pentatonics over Am. Em Pentatonic for example and then mix Em and Am pentatonic.

You could also expand your Am pent with other Diatonic notes, eg add the 9th or even the 13th. This will give you a Dorian sound.

You could also add some chromatic notes and runs.

So there's a lot to explore ....

Hope this helps,

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Guni,
    Thanks for the help. You really have started me in the right direction and it's good to know there are people out there who want to help people improve.
    If you get a chance, check out my bands website at www.legallimitband.com. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks again and I hope to chat with you again sometime.

Badmood

Fixed the link... when there is a full-stop right behind the URL, the link ( automatically generated by the forum ) wont work. The links now working.

I checked out the site. Very cool, you seem to play out quite a bit. What kind of music is it, what style ? Covers ?
    Any sound-files available ?
    Eric

EricV,
    We play a wide variety of music. Everything from Creed to Kiss as well as Garth Brooks to Faith Hill. We play mostly all covers but I'm working on some original stuff right now.
    As you can tell, we are all police officers and we play at all the local schools. We do an hour program and talk about the dangers of drugs and violence and such. We have had great success and have even been offered a spot on the "Rosie O'Donnell Show". Also the TV show COPS has shown us play a little. If you ever watch the show, look for my black Peavey Wolfgang guitar in the introduction.
    If you ever get around Des Moines, Iowa, come check out one of our shows and come up and say hello.
    Thanks for the help and look for me on this website again.

Badmood

Hi there,

thanks for the invitation and once I get to Des Moines, Ill sure see whether youre playing out then, and Ill drop by at one of the shows if possible.
    Its great that you get some exposure on TV, congrats !
    Eric