Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Difficult Picking Exercises

Shred Fan,

I've seen Metallica live 4 times now, and James does play it with all down strokes. I wasn't able to see Kirk close enough to see how he does it.

It sounds better with all down strokes IMHO. It's just painful to play more than a minute at that speed! I just don't have that endurance anymore (I'm getting old!)
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Heheh, so your starting to lose endurance, maybe you should try out some endurance excersises. I have a couple but they are mainly for the left hand, but here's one for the right (picking) hand that may help.

Try playing the MOP riff a bit each day (all downpicked) and once your hand starts to hurt a little push it a bit further, do this for a bit each day and it just might help you with endurance (don't overdo it though as doing it for 3 hours may not be to good for your wrists, so I accept no responsibility for the result of this or any similar excersise).

By pushing it a little (and only a little) further each day over time you should gain more and more endurance , I do some similar simple excersises for the right hand that help with strength/endurance there (if anyone wants to know them let me know and I'll type them up). Just remember not to overdo it.

I doubt your THAT old that you can't work up endurance, if you are (which I seriously doubt) then its time to give alternate picking that riff some practise.
    Last edited by Shred Fan; 12-29-2002 at 01:04 AM.

That's pretty good, Shred Fan You make very good points and I got a chuckle out of it too!

You are right, I'm not that old yet! I just haven't made the time to work on my down-picking chops.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Glad I could help Bizarro, looks like it's time to go back to the woodshed and work on the downpicking.

Though lets not forget that downpicking isn't anywhere near as useful/efficient/fast as alternate picking. It does have its place in some riffs though, so it can't hurt (hahah, no pun intended) to work on your downpicking endurance.

Just looking through this thread again and I felt like putting up some exercises (actually variations from one exercise) I do from "Rock Discipline."

Start slow, then using a metronmoe gradually speed up. Duh!
    Attached Files Attached Files

switching to floating

szulc or anyone else who used exercises like these,

did you find in the end that it was worth it to train yourself away from anchoring?

I believe that you can make a good argument for playing both anchored and unanchored depending on when you are doing it.

I believe that playing unanchored helps you break free from the playing with the elbow thing on fast lines, and since that gave me serious nerve injury I needed to find another way.

I also believe that one you have broken free from the elbow at fast tempo thing you can play more accurately by maintaining some form of anchor.

So just like practicing all AP licks and then some sweeps or econmy picking lick, you should do both.

I still can't play as fast unanchored with the wrist as I can anchored with the tense elbow. But I pay dearly for this if I do it for any length of time, so I am choosing not to, and play slower.

Muting is one thing that needs special attention since it is difficult to achieve without some form of anchoring.

In general muting with both hands is the real ticket and is very difficult to incorporate into your playing style.

My benefit of switching to wrist picking is I am now more relaxed when I start to play fast. I have a tendency to reverse the picking angle and play like Jeff Watson/George Benson/Shawn Lane on fast stuff because it seems more natural a position.

The main point of these exercises was to expose the weaknesses in everyones playing by studying that which make AP phrases difficult to execute.

Whether you decide to do them anchored or unanchored is a matter of personal preference. I advocate doing them using both methods.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

szulc,

Thanks for responding!

You told me just what I needed to know.

I've been hesitant to put my full effort into developing my ability to pick floating because quite frankly, I am lazy.

I have noticed that alot of others are looking for the same kind of difinitive answers, wanting to know if one way is better or not. It seems that these answers my not exist. Your argument for flexibility makes me look at it in a whole new light though.

Thanks again.

And thanks for the exercises too!

what a great thread nice one

i take it those 1 note per string are swept?

tom

No, everything in this set of exercises is meant to played with strict Alternating Picking.
    Hidden Content

Since there seems to be a rekindling of interest in this thread I think those of you who haven't already read this should read this article.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/84
    Hidden Content

Not sure if it was posted here, but this one is real fun to play:

|-------4-1-------------5-2-------------9-6----------------13-10------------||
    |---------------------------------------------------------------------------||
    |-----3-----2---------4-----3---------8-----7-----------12-------11---------||
    |---2---------3-----3---------4-----7---------8------11-------------12------||
    |---------------------------------------------------------------------------||
    |-1-------------4-2-------------5-6-------------9-10-------------------13---||

etc.
    Use up/down strokes, 1-2-3-4 fingering
    --------------
    RayenD

What about the spider?

Not hard at all, but I, being a beginner, found it, and still find it, very useful.

I just put it in powertab format, I'm sure you can find something much better somewhere on the web,but I just did it for the sake of learning how to use the software, so bare with me

PS: Seeing as this is the first time for me to use the program, I didn't know how to set up the beats properly, as you can see in the start of the "Spider" section, can anyone help me out on this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

In my opinion, if you want to improve your picking tecnique, you can try to learn it from those who made this tecnique a real art!:-)
    I think you should take a look to Paul Gilbert videos..I think Intense Rock it the better, then, if you want to see something out of this earth, you should see Shawn lane stuff...he can pick in different way, but always at top levelThose videos had helped me a lot!!
    Peace&Love&Music

szulc

I just started practising your chromatic septuplet lick the other day - awesome exercise. The pattern isn't as hard as the timing! So far I have only reached 70 bpm - at that speed I can repeat it three times, then I start lagging. How fast can you play it - not a single time, but if you should be able to play it over and over? Just to have something to aim for!

I've only practised quin- and septuplets for about a week now, and it's very hard to get hold of the "feel". If I set the metronome to say 75 bpm and start playing quintuplets - after a while I've changed to sixtuplets. Any suggestions how I could improve?
    ------------9----------------10-----------
    --7-9-10-----10-9-7-9-10-----10-9-7--