Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Difficult Picking Exercises

Jorge, those exercises are very much like the ones in the Hanon book for piano. That book has basically every useful musical exercise known to man!

It is monstrous and it doesn't have any tab (it's for piano...), but once you figure out the interval patterns it isn't a big deal.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Have you actually tried all of this?
    If yes, How many weeks/months/years did it take you to try everthing?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

When I was first starting out I came up with a chart similar to that pdf file. I never got across actually doing it. I think if I had all the time in the world I'd probably get across attempting such a thing but since that's not my case I just practice stuff that I'll use. I've said this before (and this is just my opinion, no flame wars please) I'd rather use something that has at least some musical sense to it. I do pratice my alternate picking with 1NPS 2NPS 3NPS 4NPS 5NPS 6NPS (they don't have to be all different notes, you're training your right hand after all) what I normally do is I take an etude (like the one in C minor from Guitar Workshop by Berklee press) and play it in quarter notes, 8th notes etc doubling, trippling, etc the notes every time. As far as left hand exercises, scales scale patterns and intervals should give you all you'll ever use (after all that's what music is made of).

Bizarro: I gotta check that book out, I know my mom (she is a pianist) has it but she's about 10 thousand miles away, so I don't think I'll be getting it from her, maybe the school I work at carries it. I have a vage memory of me working on the piano with it when I was little. It's gonna be interesting to arrange those exercises for guitar (you could have a bass player playing with you to mimmic the left hand do it like a band exercise ) I'll look for it.

Um... that's it I think.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

SteveH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    Jorge, those exercises are very much like the ones in the Hanon book for piano. That book has basically every useful musical exercise known to man!

It is monstrous and it doesn't have any tab (it's for piano...), but once you figure out the interval patterns it isn't a big deal.
    I remember going through that after a piano playing friend lent it to me! I'd completely forgotton about it. you can download an online copy from:-

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/sin...?composer_id=7

Go for parts 1 2 and 3, and you should be able to download the lot in one go.

Resident Musician
    Wow, I haven't been here in a long time, this thread is a goldmine! Especially since I'm really starting to gather practice material so I can start a practice schedule of some kind. All of those are nice exercises. Most of my material now is theory based (arpeggios, scales, sequences like Eric V's and the ascending the scale in intervals). These are more technique based, which I like because it mixes things up. I'll be grabbing quite a few of those images.

James

James, I didn't go through the whole book as a practice ritual, but I did try every single thing in there at least once. This happened over the course of 3-4 years. I wanted "bulletproof" technique so I could play anything put in front of me!

At that point in my life I was very serious about guitar and I played and practiced a lot, plus I thought about music all day from a theoretical standpoint. I'm not as dedicated anymore... Now I try to be a competent and *tasteful* musician (whatever that means), but there's no way I'll be a chops monster ever again!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

PDF file with exercises

i attached a pdf file with all the Powertab exercises posted on this thread ...

hope no one minds ... and hope you find it useful

thanks for the threads szulc and guys!

back to work now

p.s. sorry for the presentation i'm no artist! (besides i'm at work!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmuscat; 07-23-2004 at 08:04 AM.
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro
    James, I didn't go through the whole book as a practice ritual, but I did try every single thing in there at least once. This happened over the course of 3-4 years. I wanted "bulletproof" technique so I could play anything put in front of me!

At that point in my life I was very serious about guitar and I played and practiced a lot, plus I thought about music all day from a theoretical standpoint. I'm not as dedicated anymore... Now I try to be a competent and *tasteful* musician (whatever that means), but there's no way I'll be a chops monster ever again!
    Cool, thanks for the info. but I was actually referring to the DRFRETBOARD post. I studied some CL Hanon in college, along with some shillinger system stuff. If you read this post (pdf file) its seems there was a lot of combinatoric expansion and that you could try this stuff forever and never finish.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

LOL Bizarro, once more my wife's right I shouldn't be so "shopping happy" I went out yesterday and bought the book and now I see the links and I could've gotten the exercises for free... oh well, 6 bucks have never killed anyone (I could've had TWO BEERS with that lol j/k) It was so funny (weird) to play the exercises I used to hear when I was little, lots of memories. And once more I decided to campaign and get back to piano... 've tried that a couple of times and failed... let's see how I do this time.

Very useful stuff. I was running through ex 1 and 2, what I did I'd stay on the 6th 5 and 4th up until the 20th position, then I'd play following the scale pattern until the 24th fret on the first, then I'd come back using the 1st, 2nd and 3rd and finally I'd come back down the scale in first position. Sweet stuff, it's a good warm up on sight reading too (even though it all follows the same pattern). I played it on the keyboard when I got home and I still haven't gotten exercise 1... my piano technique has gone down hill (lots of work to do... so little time)

Anyway, I just wanted to share that.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Hehe, yeah that's often a problem when I make up exercises for myself; I try to find a "closed system" but I think that's a lost cause... better collect a variety of material and just labor on it I guess. But I actually do use these exercises because it's all pretty demanding on the picking hand. I often use the suggested fingerings in Appendix C.

I thought I could share some excercises I use in the great journey of enhancing my picking technique. I always found chromatic excercises to sound crappy (well duh ) and you rarely play 4 nps (especially in such a comfortable way as the chromatic scale) and on top of that, you donīt change strings that often and there are 4 notes between each change so thats easier then 3-2-1.
    The following 2 excercises I practise a lot.

The first one is just a variation on the PG lick in which you practise both inside and outside picking (when you have a run on several strings you need to know both well). I add the G note on the high e string for a little more interesting sound and added difficulty cause of the roll you need to do with either your pinky or ringfinger. When you start this lick on a upstroke you invert the inside and outside picking so at first(when you start on a downstroke), your picking outside towards a higher string, and when you start with an upstroke your picking outside towards a lower string (same counts for insidepck.). I think there are important differences between those 2 as well and you will need to learn both!

The second is a excercise from Troy Stetina (i really hope Iīm not breaking any rules by posting this!) and its a 3nps run which is just a basic thing I thought was important. I find changing strings in one direction (like 5 in a row towards the high e) is more diff. than just changing between 2 constantly.

I hope anyone can get a little use out of this, especially since this site and forum have been such a help for me!

Greets, Buebo.
    Attached Files Attached Files