Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make a string dampener

Arrow how to make a string dampener

[Dr. 8-finger-tapping or how I learned to make a cheap String Dampener]

Hey out there!!!!
    Anyone interested in 8-finger tapping keep reading. I have been getting into 8-finger tapping, but I noticed a problem: excess string noise. After reading about Jennifer Batten & Michael Angelo, I learned that they both use a device called a String Dampener. http://www.angelo.com/html/the_string_dampener.html

I don't want to spend like $90 on a string dampener, so I came up with a way to make one for like $5.

You need a ponytail band and a piece of felt as wide as your fretboard and like 10 inches long. Slide the ponytail band around the headstock to the nut. Do what I did in the pictures. Then, slide it down over the nut onto the fretboard when you need it and slide it back out of the way when you don't. It works on locknuts too, you just have to pull a little harder to get it to pass over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight) [The Tick]

here are some pictures of the real thing for those of you who are too lazy to look @ the link
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight) [The Tick]

Once you get used to sliding the thing down when you need it & back when you aren't in need of it, don't be suprised to find your hands flying across the fretboard like a tarantula being chased by a blowtorch.
    Last edited by MadhatteR; 04-04-2004 at 10:14 PM.

i heard a sock or a bandanna works just as well. Good tip though, I'll look into it.

Why is the felt 10 inches long? It looks like you have a ton of overlap in the pictures, so that length wouldn't be nessicary.

The extra length is to make the felt thicker & make sure that you don't accidentally pull the ponytail band off of the felt & have the felt fall. Like 10 inches means approximately 10 inches, so experement. I would rather tell you to use too much & have you trim it down to preference. I've never had any problems with it. A sock or bandana will probably work, Batten used to use a sock. I don't know how easily you can take it off or on. Mine works almost as smoothly as the real thing (from what I can tell from a concert video of Jennifer).
    Thanks for responding

Mod
    when playing midnight by satriani, I just roll a rubberband over the top nut onto my strings

Madhatter,
    very cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

When I record, I occasionally use a bandana wrapped around the first fret.
    Eric

Man those are some awesome ideas. Ive been looking into getting a string dampener and when I saw $89.95 USD I thought it was a load of crap lol. I tried the bandana thing and it works great.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    There's this guy named TJ Helmerich who plays his solo lines with 8 finger tapping technique....most amazing thing about him is that he doesn't use any dampening or muting device...he uses his hands to get his muting going...and he's pretty amazing at the 8 finger tapping thing, i assure you...

David

balawan

hi..have you ever heard a touch style guitarist from Bali, Indonesia I Wayan Balawan? he never use the string dampener except for playing double neck guitar...awesome..he plays exactly the same as Stanley Jordan except he uses standard tuning...(Stanley Jordan uses alternate tuning)

when Stanley Jordan came to Bali ..he jammed with Balawan and later on he gave Balawan, his video lesson...believe it or not..Balawan doesn't have Stanley Jordan as his big influence..his big hero is Stu Ham..he watched his video lesson and since that time,he developed touch technique...
    you can see his guitar playing at youtube...he posted some of his video there..he combined jazz and gamelan style...amazing!! just take a look ...you won't regret ..hey,Jennifer Batten amazed too...

Hey demonsorcerer: do you know how TJ.Helmerich mute all the strings? when Jennifer BAtten had a clinic in my country..i ask her how Tj. mute his strings..and she doesn't know about it too...well,do you know anything about it and help me about the mistery ?cause as i watch his video over n over again ..it really2 looked like that neither of his right hand part ever touch the strings except his fingers..

thx u

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSorcerer
    There's this guy named TJ Helmerich who plays his solo lines with 8 finger tapping technique....most amazing thing about him is that he doesn't use any dampening or muting device...he uses his hands to get his muting going...and he's pretty amazing at the 8 finger tapping thing, i assure you...

David
    I think he don't play on open strings at all...

Where can be bought that dumper for 90 $ ?

Just to let you guys know, Jennifer Batten is now selling her own brand of String Dampeners through Allparts, they come in two models and they're around $30 cheaper than those put out by MAB. They can be found at the following links: http://www.allparts.com/store/string-damper,Product.asp & http://www.allparts.com/store/string...03,Product.asp .
    She's also selling them offa her Website's Webstore(There's also a video at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwr-OLmju4 where she explains & demonstrates her dampeners). Hope this helps!

shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshooter
    I think he don't play on open strings at all...

Where can be bought that dumper for 90 $ ?
    www.angelo.com
    and the MAB string dampener is awesome.

I'll stick with my sock and hand muting. It's still expensive.
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!