Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quadratonal Arpeggios

Shows what I know....I would have guessed by "quadratonal' one was referring to intervals of a fourth (like quartal harmony, as opposed to standard tertial harmony we're all familiar with). Such chords make for interesting textures and washes of sound.
    --
    David M. McLean
    Skinny Devil Music Lab
    Hidden Content

"...embrace your fear..."

Well I've been looking around and i still can't find anything on Quadratonal Arpeggios. Maybe EricV or Thorsten can clear it up?

I´m not familiar with the term either. Where have you heard it?

But anyway, it sounds cool! "Hey dude, check out my quadratonal arpeggios!" " Quadra what?"

I´ll ask Fredrik Thordendal, I´m sure he knows!

Man, I should've asked him. I saw him on the meshforums but was too afraid to say anything in fear of being stupid...lol.

Well, I found this quote in a Buckethead interview: "I got a lot of
    mileage from Slonimsky's "Melodic Patterns", he says of the late musicologist's
    classic text. "There's a lot of really disjointed stuff in there, like far-apart
    intervals and octave displacement [the transposition of certain notes in a phrase
    or chromatic line an octave above or below their normal scale position]. There's
    also a section on quadratonal arpeggios - that sounded crazy"

I actually do have the Thesaurus by Slonimsky, but I havenm´t worked all the way through it, I stuck to the first few chapters ( got some great exercises out of it ).
    I quickly made a TAB of the first 5 patterns in the "Quadritonal ( sic ) arpeggios" section. It might not be a good idea to answer a question by just giving some musical examples, but maybe this will help already.
    Don´t mind the execution of these licks, they´re just my arrangement... the taps and tap slides in the first 2 examples etc... that´s just one way of playing them, and it was a quick job anyway.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

PS: I left out some notes cuz they´re below the guitars range ( the first 2 or 3 and last 2 or 3 of each example, that is ). Maybe if I have more time, I´ll transpose those examples so they can be played on guitar completely
    Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

my oh my eric.... that's some strange sh*t !!!
    ...HaaAaHaHaHaaAAhaa aaaAH...
    lovely!

so now we have the example, but i would really aprecciate a closer explanation on this one.
    what does 1251,1252 ect. mean?
    no matter how i turn this thing, i don't understand it

SvenvesnevS

Sven,
    the patterns in the Thesaurus are numbered. 1250 simply means that the pattern / exercise is No.1250 in the book. No secret meaning here.
    Here´s a quote from the Thesaurus: "Quadritonal Arpeggios. Melodic progressions formed by 4 mutually exclusive triads, as C major, D minor, F# major and G#minor"

Eric

Um, has the definition of 'quadrotonal arpeggios' been explained ? Or am I just silly, and haven't already seen it ???

Do they have a formula? If so, what is it ?
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Sakkaku,

I guess the definition in the post above is the best one we have so far
    "Quadritonal Arpeggios. Melodic progressions formed by 4 mutually exclusive triads, as C major, D minor, F# major and G#minor"
    Eric

*eyes bug out of head*

Ahh yes, of course! That's exactly it right there!

*Head explodes*
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Hey Eric - do you want to hear a mp3 of something I created a while ago ? It's about 50 seconds of music ???
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

LOL, I know what you mean. The Thesaurus can be an interesting read. Where else do you get chapters about "Invertible Dedecaphonic Progressions" or the "Sequiquinquetone Progression" ( the latter means "equal division of eleven octaves into twelve parts" ) ?
    12 tone music, gotta love it
    Eric

thanx for giving me a good answer on that Eric, it really helped alot.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

As complex as it is, it is as simple as complexity can be simplified without confusing people like me.
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

Lightbulb

oRg,

Gee, I thought nobody would even know Quadritonal Arpeggios even existed!!!

Basically, they are 4 non-harmonic triads coupled together to create a Twelve -Tone melodic Pattern. (i.e. all the 12 semi tones of an octive are present).

For example: Any of these 4 triads groupings will have all the 12 tones in an octive present without repeating any tones.
    1) Cm , Dm, E, F#
    2) C+, Dm, Eb+, F#
    3) C+, Eb, F#m, Bdim
    4) Cdim, Fdim, Gm, A
    5) C+, Db+, D+, Eb+
    These are only a few examples. There's about 20 combinations all together.

You play the triads starting in a low register and where one ends, you start the next triad and so on. For example: C Eb G - D F A - E G# B - F# A# C#
    Since the guitar has the range of 2 - 2 1/2 octives, it's difficult to play them.
    I usually start each of them on the root or 3rd, or find a 1/2 step connecting note and try to stay within 2 octives!!! You need to master the 4 basic triads maps in all inversions before attempting these Quadritonal patterns. These patterns are difficult to play and to make them "sound right". The key is to resolve them to a correct chord tone at the right time.

You use these Quadritonal patterns to get "outside" the tonal center. Coltrane, Brecker, Mike Stern, and John Schofield are good examples. I mostly use them over Altered Dominant chords with modal fusion. There are other Twelve-Tone patterns which are more familiar such as Dodecaphonic, Spirals and Crossing Interval Patterns. If you study this type of advanced stuff, you become familiar with the sounds and they're quite common in Jazz music. Study Slonimsky, it's all there.

VidKid
    Last edited by VidKid; 10-10-2004 at 03:38 PM.