Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Poll: Articles on iBreatheMusic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Articles... what do you really think?

Our Articles... what do you really think?

Hi all,

We'd really like to get your feedback on the articles that have been published on iBreathe so far.

Also, please feel free to post your comments next to this little poll above.

What style of music are you interested in?
    What techniques would you like to see covered in more depth?
    Is there a certain music theory topic you really want to know more about?
    Which articles have you found most helpful so far?

etc ...

So, shoot! and let us know what you really think.

Many thanks,

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Thumbs up

I think the entire ibreathemusic.com site is awesome. The limited posting of questions I have done have always been answered and I can't remember seeing anyone post where there hasn't been at least one response.

The only negative is due to my limited experience and ignorance of music. Sometimes the forum responses and articles are SO far over my head I can't even see the bottom of them! But I am thankful they are there because hopefully some day I will know what they mean.

The articles are very good and I want to thank all of the contributors. In my quest for knowledge I am grateful that so many talented people are willing to share their experience and knowledge with me!

Keep up the fantastic work!!

Hi bluecollarman,

Thanks a lot for your feedback - it's really appreciated.

Cu soon,

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Re: Our Articles... what do you really think?

We'd really like to get your feedback on the articles that have been published on iBreathe so far.
    The articles are great. The majority of them are too advanced for me, but I don't mind that. That just means that iBM will be a great resource for me for a very long time.
    What style of music are you interested in?
    As far as playing is concerned, mostly Blues and Rock.
    What techniques would you like to see covered in more depth?
    Is there a certain music theory topic you really want to know more about?
    You guys seem to cover everything. There is more covered right now technique and theory-wise than I am able to grasp, so I have no suggestions but to keep up the good work.
    Which articles have you found most helpful so far?
    I don't recall the title, and I couldn't find it again when I looked, but it was an article of yours (Guni) about Pentatonic scales, which you and I discussed a bit in one of the forums a while back.

This site is great. I'm surprised that there are relatively few users, at least in terms of the forums. Of course I don't post too much there myself, as I gotta have some time to play my guitar, and getting involved in discussions takes time. But I do read the forums daily. How does a site go about getting itself mentioned in guitar magazines??? I see in mag's that there are websites mentioned (I don't mean in ads, I mean they get reviewed basically). This site certainly is high enough quality and has some heavyweight advisors, so I think its reasonable that it should get some recognition in magazines. Anyhoo, keep up the good work, yer doin' great!

Central Scrutinizer

Talking Did u Say Novella ?

I think you’re doing a great job. I have always thought so, referring back to the old site. When I stumbled across it I said, “Hey, a Educated Website. No B.S. you can be a star is 10 days less kinna stuff. Just pure knowledge with a sense of humor.”

I voted for they are fine as they are, as I was voting for myself
    But if we pretend I Live in Florida, maybe I get to vote twice This time for the beginners as there is a scarcity of good Beginning info not only online, but period. I think this would greatly enhance the value of the site.
    Also, and this is very personal to me, I find beginners, and some experienced players as well, have major misconceptions of actually how to practice. Eric does a nice job in his breaking it down article, and eludes to practice concepts though his other articles as well. And there’s the Incredible Lightness “Correct Practice” from a physical standpoint type articles. I’m gonna stop at those 2 just to try to keep it short.

My point is most students first question is, “How long do I practice?”
    Well, there’s more to it than a simple 45 mins a day or waddaever answer.
    It’s more a matter of:
    1) how you practice (relaxed, are u blowing notes, going to fast, is your mind wandering, etc.)
    2) what you practice (once u know the tune, u ain’t practicing your playing) or (you can’t learn legato if ya practice picking everything and verse vica)
    3) do u know the difference between practicing and playing?
    4) Wadda you wanna achieve?

And so it goes, there’s plenty more but simply put: sitting there for 4 hours staring out the window strumming the same G chord you learned 6 months ago and still can’t play right cause you never what your fingers and even when you do it don’t come out clean cause you’ve mistaken the neck of your dear guitar for a baseball bat ain’t gonna turn ya into Steve Morse anytime soon.

Ok, I’m dun ranting
    I think there’s very good “How To Practice” info here, but I defiantly feel the world could use some more.
    And maybe some practical stuff on modes from a playing or real life standpoint. The Chord scale articles are excellent, and there’s some brief allusion to practical application, but I realize that you’re intent, as it should be, was concerned chiefly with laying it out on paper, not a how to on modal improve.

As for your questions:
    Styles of Music: I dig everything. I’m a Huge Beatle Freak. Love Zappa, Dregs, Dream Theater and a zillion others from Prince to C. Parker from Mozart to Megadeth etc.
    Concepts: Hmmm, think ya well on your way to covering it all. Maybe Eric could do sum lefthand legato stuff to go along with his picking stuff (hint)
    Topics: More on Modes, analyzing Pop/Rock Tunes
    Most Helpful: Well the Interval/Triad/Chord Scales are excellent I’ve seen them help a lot of people and provide me with a very good teaching supplement for people embarking on the theoretical journey. But I think all articles have something nice to offer someone.

Ok that’s my 3.75 cents worth.

NP- Goo Goo Dolls- “Gutter Flower”
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Originally posted by bluecollarman
    I think the entire ibreathemusic.com site is awesome. ...Sometimes the forum responses and articles are SO far over my head I can't even see the bottom of them!
    When I first read some of the posts, only a few months ago, I was a bit overwhelmed. A whole new technical language with its own notation. I'd never seen chord notation before in my life when I first joined the forum, and it was a little scary.

So, don't feel left out bluecollarman!! But by spending just a few hours a week with the articles here and with a few other resources, it's not so magical anymore--and certainly not so scary.

This is the Number One resource for me...it achieves a perfect blend (for me, for now) of instrument-independent music theory with guitar-specific information. I'd definitely pay a membership fee for this privilege.

As noted in Danster's recent post (and my reply) in Music Theory however, the articles don't seem to be browseable or searchable. There needs to be an "All Articles" hotlink next to the "Recent Articles" listing on the home page.

Jazz guitar is what I'm most pleased with right now..but that's kinda like saying "I like rock". I dream of someday making an 'edgy', up-tempo jazzy kind of sound work with afro-cuban rhythms*--you know, something where folks take notice and say, "Whoa--never heard anything quite like THAT before".

To everyone at ibreathe, I raise an Imperial pint of the blessed frothy nectar in your honor. Here here!!
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 10-02-2002 at 04:52 AM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Registered User thesnowinmyhand's Avatar

Feedback

First of all lety me say I think it is a gerat site. Because nothing is perfect I have some points later on but I dont want that to distract from my main point of this being probably the best site out there for guitar instruction info.

I have been following this site since the middle of 98 when I stumbled upon it by accident. Since then it was Guni article about pentatonis which taught me the other 4 fingerings... Furthermore it was guni's review of Troy Stetina's books which lead eventually to buying them and becoming a big influence of my practice. And finally it was an article of Jamey Andreaas I found here that led me to the "Correct pratice..." book which is becoming more and more of an influence.

However I must admit I had my doubts about this site around the time you switched from the original guitar4u format to the more modern orange like format (this had nothing to do with the format but the site seemed to be offering less info) and during the start-up of ibreathe which only had that ear training thing going. Nevertheless I kept checking in on a regular basis and I found that as soon as ibreathe really started it became a site was just as good and even better than its original predecessor....
    I think the forum is great and I have always liked most of the articles (I have got a binder at home with all the original guitar4u articles for me to look back in if I want to know something)

What I would like to see more:
    1) Book reviews, usually you guys are right on about things and there is so many out there that some info is a big help.
    2) What happened to the ear training utility?
    3) Personally I like the stories about music related things but not directly connected to playing the instrument such as stories about gigs people did, or like Erics last article (although I liked the topic I thought the contents were a bit flat eric as opposed to your technical articles which cut right to the chase).

Okay so far my humble opinion: keep up the good work and i will be looking forward to more of this in the future.

grtz

Robert

Re: Feedback

3) Personally I like the stories about music related things but not directly connected to playing the instrument such as stories about gigs people did, or like Erics last article (although I liked the topic I thought the contents were a bit flat eric as opposed to your technical articles which cut right to the chase).
    Hey there RObert.
    Thanks a lot for the comments about my articles.
    Now, I definitely respect your opinion about "You didn´t try to call me". I actually thought about telling Guni not to publish it last week, but I decided to let him go ahead.
    Reasons for that, and reasons for the fact that it might seem a bit "flat" or not as "cutting right to the chase" ( of course, I´d respect it if you´d simply dont like it, but maybe the reasons I am gonna tell you might help to put the hwole thing more into a perspective ):

- This whole thing, attitude, behaviour, moral, conducting business, politics in the biz... it´s a HUGE topic. And sometimes it is way harder to find the solution for a problem than it is finding a solution for unaccurate picking licks or problems with the legato-technique.
    - EVeryone thinks different about it. Many people perceive the "biz" differently or conduct their business with a different attitude. I didn´t wanna give away a "That´s the way to do it"-guide, cuz I think everyone needs to make zthat one up for himself.
    - I didn´t wanna come over like "Guys, business sucks, you will be screwed". Cuz first of all, it would scare people away. Second of all, who knows ? Maybe someone else ges into the ring and never has a problem.
    - This is one of the main-points. I just couldn´t go that much more into details. Simply because I don´t wanna mention names or have people assume too much.
    I have been screwed a lot of times, I have seen people being screswed a bunch of times.
    But I would never use a public forum like this one to discuss it or let everyone know. It´s between me and those kinda persons. Same goes for other artists that I saw being screwed.
    And I don´t wanna give too detailed examples, cuz again, it might lead to assumptions. Or there might be misunderstandings, leading people to think that some guy is a crook, while he really isnt.
    I know some details about the whole Shawn Lane-issue, but I jsut will not comment too much on it. It´s up to Shawn to do so, and if he doesn´t want to, I shouldn´t neither, cuz it´s not my business. Remember that there always are two sides to every story.
    Sounds pretty mysterious, huh ?
    Anyway, it was just meant as a basic primer to let you know that
    a) there are some crooks in the biz, and they will screw you up if you let them
    b) it is a BUSINESS
    c) even though we all are not Prince or Van Halen or Joe Cocker, we can really get in trouble or lose money or ( maybe even worse ) the fun if we don´t prepare and protect ourselves.

This article was actually harder to write than all the instructional stuff.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Again, I totally respect your opinion, but maybe those point will put everything into a different perspective
    Eric

Registered User thesnowinmyhand's Avatar
    Eric,

good point. When I read it I never projected the stories you were telling directly on you.... So I never realised that it would be logical to assume that some of the negative experiences you went through could also effect the other people involved. And there you are definitely right: a public forum is no place to fight out private disputes of any kind.
    So I underestimated the difficulty in such an article of keeping the balance in giving real life information and not hanging out the dirty laundry...

just to let you know....

Robert

Hey Robert,

thanks a lot for your understanding. I am actually glad we discussed it...
    Eric

All righty. I kept a bit quiet in this thread as I was interested in what you would throw at us . First of all let me say that I really thank you guys for your feedback. This is really important for us all here at iBreathe.

Originally posted by Danster
    This site is great. I'm surprised that there are relatively few users, at least in terms of the forums.
    How does a site go about getting itself mentioned in guitar magazines???
    Personally, I am very very happy with the forums. Ok, we don't have a lot of active members at the moment but the quality of the discussions are excellent. This was my biggest fear when starting out with the new site. I was scared to death that we get flooded with 'Who is the best guitar player' threads. Currently we do have 400 members signed up and a rule of thumb says that around 3% (best case scenario) of all members will also take actively part. So this comes down to 12 active members - not to say that we need 5000 members to get 150 actively involved . BTW: Same ratio can be seen with visitors and signed up members.

Regarding magazines I am on it. So hopefully we will get some good results soon.

Originally posted by The Bash
    Also, and this is very personal to me, I find beginners, and some experienced players as well, have major misconceptions of actually how to practice.
    Bash, ever considered writing an article? To me it seems that you exactly know on how such an article has to look like. So lemme know :-)

And this goes for all of you. I mean it would be just so damn cool to get everybody involved in writing articles. There are no rules or restrictions. Ok, we try to get some quality articles together and try to use our contacts, but how cool would it be say to read about a beginners perspective, ideas, goals, considerations ...

Originally posted by Bongo Boy
    As noted in Danster's recent post (and my reply) in Music Theory however, the articles don't seem to be browseable or searchable. There needs to be an "All Articles" hotlink next to the "Recent Articles" listing on the home page.
    Yep, this is in the line of development. Just wondering, how would you like to browse them. By author, alphabetically, by category ... all of these?. Next to this there is a 'Related Articles' section planned that will show up at the end of the articles.

Originally posted by thesnowinmyhand
    What I would like to see more:
    1) Book reviews, usually you guys are right on about things and there is so many out there that some info is a big help.
    2) What happened to the ear training utility?
    Yeah, the review section needs to grow. Again, you are all welcome to contribute as well. If there's something that you really recommend then please let me know and I'd be more then happy to add your review to the site.

Ooooo, the eartraining utility :-). Well, at the moment this is very difficult for me to answer. See, I'm kind of a perfectionist (well, well) and to take this tool to the level where I want it to be at it really will take time and a lot of sweat. Thing is that lately I didn't find the time to work on this one. But lemme assure you that whenever I find the time I will be on it.

Again, thanks for all your input.

cu,

Guni

Article Search. Probably lots of issues here. If you know an article exists, then author and/or title parts would be a nice search. If you're not sure of either of those (but you still know that what you're looking for exists) then an alphabetical search may work.

In the case where you don't know the article even exists, or you know it exists but even an alpha title search won't help, then you need either keywords or full text search (ala Index Server or something similar). Keywords of course place a burden on administration (or the author or both).

The ultimate might be to have an abstract for ALL articles, then have those abstracts viewable from an alpha list of titles. ("View Titles Only" and "View Titles with Abstracts"). Sounds like work for someone!!

Article Submission by the General Public. Wow. What a cool idea--there's some risk of course, to both the site and to the author, but I still think it's a great idea. Brings up the question of how much you want to manage this--for example, if you want to have a synopsis/abstract submitted for approval first, or just let the stuff roll in. No harm in trying it for a few months to see what happens.

Central Scrutinizer

Thumbs up

Hey Guni,
    I’ve been putting together sort of a rough outline on the subject of practice for my students.
    It started off as kind of a very broad primer aimed for the beginner (or at least new students) to kind of explain (at in my opinion) why I ask you to do things such as sight sing, practice scales, know what that group of notes your playing is etc. Anyway, what it boils down to is lumping things into 3 board and highly overlapping categories, to me everything in sum way can be tossed into 1)Ear Training 2)Technique 3)Knowledge (not only Theory but things like warp refraction, pattern shapes, musical history etc.)
    The hard parts narrowing it down to a direct point of focus, but the point of the primer is basically why to me its important to include all three things in ya studies.
    I plan on branching out from there into no man’s lands dealing with more specific actual physical practice details.
    I can’t say I’m any kind of expert on the subject (can’t say I claim to be a expert at anything, actually), but I think I’ve got at least a knowledgeable grasp on the subject through my own experiences both as student and teacher. So yea, if you think anything along those lines would be helpful to anyone in anyway there all yours. Well, once I get going on em that is
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Well, the heads at iBreathe are probably already as big as punkins what with all this glowing praise, but I also wanted to add that your "Print Version" feature for article viewing is very important to me since about the only time I actually get uninterrupted reading time is on the plane. I also don't care to read longer stuff off the screen.

So...that's another "thank you"!

I for one am stoked

Guni,
    Since I have found this forum, I've been in heaven. I've been playing for close to 17 years and I feel I have so much more I want to accomplish on the guitar. The mixture of articles (from the biz to shredding to amps) will be a great resource for a long time to come. Eric V has been great...I keep waiting for new articles so I can learn to shred (one of my biggest flaws in my style). keep up the good work. I, too, hoe that we don't get flooded with forumites like they have on Harmony-Central. I am so sick of off topic posts. You have to spend way too much time sifting through "CRAP" posts before you find anything interesting.
    "It's all about the gravy!!"