Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of music theory

Posting Rights Suspended

List of music theory

Can someone please give me a lsitof important music theor that i should know?

Triads, intervals, chord-scales, modes, sight-reading...to name but a few. Work hard and take your time. Thatīs what i`m doin`. Read all the great articles by Guni & EricV. Also Mick Goodrick`s Advancing Guitarist is worth checking out. There ya go!

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisSavesTheDay
    Can someone please give me a lsitof important music theor that i should know?
    Luis I love ya man, but that's kind of like asking, "What should I know about physics?" The answer is a little bit different if you're going to be a NASCAR driver vs. say a member of an anti-tank squad vs. a golfer. But, are you suggesting there might be some music theory that isn't important?

Okay, now that I've had some fun, seriously: can you read music at all, do you know how notes are written on the staff, what time signatures are, what key signatures mean, how to generate the major scales with pencil and paper? How chords are named?

Give us a hint about where you're starting from--just remember it doesn't matter where you're starting from--I just think it would be easier to get you on your way if we knew a little about where you currently are. Does my question make sense?
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Bongo Boy's post is on track. Before you get too deep into theory you have to lay a foundation. Without that foundation sooner or later you will become very flustrated and quit theory, or worse do things incorrectly.

I'd second the hint about being able to write on paper the Major and minor scale - from scratch without peeking at a cheat sheet.

If you can do that you are ready for all the other "stuff".

Posting Rights Suspended
    Heres the deal. I know how to write down major scales and all of the minor. I know how to read bass, and treble. I know waht key sig's are. I know how the circle of ffths works (toa certain extent. I dont know how the minor part works on it). I know how to make triads, and most 7th chords. I know intervals, but i DONT know modes. Most of this stff i ave learned in about 2 weeks, so it takes me a good minute to play a minor scale (writing it down is pretty quick). Major is really easy for me though. Im just ina big mess at the moment. I dont know where to go up now. I want to learn the 7 modes (i think there are 7), but it seems a bit confusing at the moment. So thats what i know.

Posting Rights Suspended
    I REALLY suck at finding notes on th fretboard. It takes me FOREVERRRR. I have to start from the lowest partof the string, and cont up, in the proper intervals. Sometimes i just go to the 5th degree of a string or 4th for the b string, and use that as a guide. But oter then that i go relalyslow. Is there anyway i can learn ow to map the fretboard really quick? '

Ii would neeeeeever be able to site read music notation. I can site read tabs, bt thats a lot different, and more of an amateur way of doing things. (my opinion)

www.musictheory.net

or

www.fretboardwarrior.com

two really cool little 'games' that will help you memorize the fretboard. In addition www.musictheory.net has tons of flash lessons and other trainers for everything you need. I always reccommend it to people.

The games really helped me with sight reading (recognizing the notes on the staff instantly) and memorizing the fretboard.

That's very good. Modes are easy, as far as knowing what the scales are--take any major scale, but then write out each of the notes of that major scale beginning with the 2nd note instead of the first one. So for example, write out C major (that's the Ionian mode right there), then write it again but beginning with D instead of C (that's the Dorian mode). Repeat again, but this time beginning with E. Each of these new scales includes the notes of C major, and only those notes, but is a new mode.

You can memorize their names and the 'order' they come in this way.

Ionian (this one is simply the major scale itself)
    Dorian
    Phrygian
    Lydian
    Mixolydian
    Aeolian (this one is just your relative or 'natural' minor scale)
    Locrian

Is there some particular aspect of theory you're looking to understand?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-01-2004 at 03:47 AM.

So is the C Dorian mode the same exact thing as a D major scale?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryJ
    Rather, D Dorian = C major (no sharps, no flats) C Dorian =Bb Major (two flats)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryJ
    The ONLY mode that is the same exact thing as any major scale is the Ionian mode. D major and D Ionian are the same thing.

The Dorian mode 'made from' the C major scale is not called C Dorian, and likewise none of the other modes made from the C major scale are called C [mode name], EXCEPT the Ionian mode, which IS called C Ionian.

So..."C Dorian" means this: a Dorian mode whose first note is C. Since the interval structure of ALL Dorian modes are identical, and because that structure is that of the major scale but shifted 'to the left' one position, this means that the other notes of C Dorian have to be the notes of a major scale whose 2nd degree is C.

Another example: D Mixolydian. Because Mixolydian is built starting with the 5th note of a major scale, you have to find the major scale whose 5th note is D--namely, G major. So, D Mixolydian is D - E - F# - G - A - B - C.

So..to recap, you have to:

1. Remember the order in which the modes are named.
    2. Associate each mode name with the corresponding degree of the related major scale.
    3. Find the major scale having the correct note in the correct position.

Another way you can do this if you brain functions better than mine does is to mentally 'shift' the interval structure of the major scale by n positions, where 'n' corresponds to the 'number' of the mode in question. So, if you assign the following numbers to the modes:

0 Ionian
    1 Dorian
    2 Phrygian
    3 Lydian
    4 Mixolydian
    5 Aeolian
    6 Locrian

...then you can just take the "t - t - s - t - t - t - s" pattern and shift it to the left by 'n' positions and construct the mode. I'm a LONG way from being able to do that, and certainly not at the fretboard.

Did I just confuse the crap out you or was this helpful?

nope, that was beautiful. Thanks bongo!

Learning to think via the notes on the guitar neck would be a FABULOUS next move. It's one thing to know te stuff on paper or "in theory", but quite different to play them on your guitar.

I would invest serious time into playing intervals on the guitar, and memorizing that so-and-so shape is a major 3rd, for example. This is NOT just a rhythm thing, but a lead guitar one too.

When I play lead, and switch strings, I almost always do so for intervallic reasons, not scaler ones. I drop down a third, for example, to outline a chord. It depends on what note I'm on, of course, but.....

Intervals are underrated.

Might also want to learn about voice leading.

Posting Rights Suspended
    I dont know how augmented and diminished work.

Posting Rights Suspended
    I dont know how augmented and diminished work.