Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Keys

Keys

A pretty simple question really, how do I work out what key and what scale a song is using? Is it basically the chord that song seems to resolve to or is it a little more complicated than that?

Hi Gareth,

Well, as a general rule ya might look at the first chord of a tune (if it's a Rock / Pop song). Most of the time this is the key you are in. Of course this is a generalisation but most of the time this will work ..........

You can go further and look at all the chords to see which overall key they fit.

Say, C Am F G = I VIm IV V in the key of C.

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

take all the notes in the song. arrange them in order. when it comes to sharps and flats, name them so that no chord letter is repeated (if you have C and C# for example, call it C and Db) you have 7 notes. if you got more, the song either has modal interchange or a key change.

if you have 7 notes, then you can determine the key:
    no sharps or flats: C major/A minor
    1 sharp : G major/ E minor
    2 sharps: D major/ B minor
    3 Sharps: A major / F# minor
    4 sharps E major / C# minor
    5 sharps: B Major /G# minor
    6 sharps/6 flats: F#/Gb Major / D#/Eb Minor
    1 flat: F major / D minor
    2 flats: Bb Major / G minor
    3 flats: Eb major / C minor
    4 flats: Ab Major /F Minor
    5 flats: Db Major/ Bb minor

Mod
    also look at the last chord or note in the peice that can give you a good idea sometimes also especially if the first is the same as the last there's good chance then too.