Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Size--please check this out

My small hand

A:4 12/16 inches, 10 1/2 centimeters
    B:3 1/2 inches, 9 centimeters
    C:3 2/16 inches, 8 centimeters

Mine are:
    A= 12.4 cm / 4.9 inches
    B= 10 cm / 3.9 inches
    C= 9 cm / 3.6 inches
    Last edited by schematics; 06-19-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Woah, this was long ago, but...

Eric and I have almost the same dimensions and looks to our fingers, so I ask him (Or anyone else with the same size), do you find that you prefer certain types of necks? My fingers made me a very picky person when it comes to guitars, as some could be VERY uncomfy to play with.

I have relatively small hands. I get around that problem by the following

- I've evolved a style heavily dependant on 'string-skipping', I don't play three notes per string patterns for the most part, and that's ok 'cause I'm not a 'neo-classical' type of player either.

- I play Les Paul type guitars due to their thick neck. Some people would recommend that people with small hands play a skinny-necked superstrat type, I would actually advise against it. Thicker necks means more comfort for my thumb, and the more rounded curvature keeps my thumb curved as well. I more discomfort on necks where my thumb has to flatted out more.

- This of course has the added benefit of a shorter scale length.

Thicker necks means more comfort for my thumb, and the more rounded curvature keeps my thumb curved as well.
    This is very true.

Back when I was selling guitars, I heard a story that one year at the Hamer booth at the NAMM show, they were demonstrating this by having a person grip a thin book, much like you would a guitar neck, but palms down. The same person would then try gripping a much thicker book in the same manner and would notice that the thinner book would cause hand/wrist fatigue much sooner that the thick one. This is because of the ergonomics of the hand and theat the thicker book (or neck) leaves the hand a bit more open, keeping the hand from getting more tense.

So don't be afraid of a thick-necked guitar without trying it first!

Thicker neck = more tone!

It also comes down to your habits. When I started playing guitar in the late 70's, basically it was Fender/Gibson, and to some extent, Ibanez guitars.

To me it's a basic Fender Strat (C-shape neck). I've also had some other guitars like Gibson LP, Schecter/Ibanez Strat clones etc., but I'll always find myself going back to a Fender. Not to say that they're better in any way, but I'm just used to and to me they feel right.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    A 12.5cm 4 3/4 ins
    B 11 cm 4 ins
    C 10 cm 3 3/4 ins

Big hands and as clumsy as a Bull in a china shop!!!!
    All the finesse of an ice skating Giraffe!!!

And I've always prefered Fender shaped necks.( Although the G&L is a tad thinner from fretboard to the back of the neck)
    Last edited by mattblack850; 06-19-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Well, mine are long and thin, and when I watch videos and performances of metal artists, they always riff with their fingers somewhat "flat" across the entire neck, I can't do that because of my long fingers.

Also, it is *literally* impossible for me to place my index, middle and pinky on the 13-15-17 frets of the low E string WHILE standing up, no matter how high or low the guitar strap is, and I can *barely* do it sitting down with my guitar on my left knee.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRuss
    So don't be afraid of a thick-necked guitar without trying it first!

Thicker neck = more tone!
    I also think that for the most part it also means a neck that's less likely to need a lot of truss rod adjustments. I prefer medium to relatively high action (certainly not as low as some shredders like, although many do prefer higher action). I seldom need to adjust my truss rod, my neck profile stays more or less the same. But back when I had one of those superstrats with a skinny neck, the changes were much more noticeable as temperature changed.

But again, due to the issue of hand comfort, I always prefer thicker necks. I've often read ads highlighting a 'thin, comfortable neck' and wondered what the heck they were talking about, because to me no I***** W***** II neck or similar has ever felt comfortable.

Thicker necks all the way. Try play a 4 hour gig with a skinny neck. Your hands will be cramped up and hurting really bad. A thicker neck has that support that SeattleRuss is talking about, especially when playing chords.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

A = 10.6 cm

B = 9.6 cm

C = 9.1 cm

A = 10,5cm / 4,14inch
    B = 9,0cm / 3,55inch
    C = 8,0cm / 3,15inch

live
    ________
    Xxx Free Movies
    Last edited by live; 03-28-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Guitar Builder / Player DoeringerDGM's Avatar
    FUN! (more so than work)

A 11cm
    B 10.5cm
    C 8cm
    Hidden Content

Art - Tone - Playability

A 10.5
    B 8.5
    C 8.5

my hands are pretty small, but then i think its pretty close to average=]
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/