Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand Size--please check this out

5 years, still suck.. Leviathon's Avatar
    A = 4 1/4
    B = 3 3/4
    c = 3 3/4

Hmmm... sorry, I was offline for a week, so Im a bit late...
    A = 4.7" ( 11.9 cm )
    B= 3.9" ( 10 cm )
    C = 3.3" ( 8.3 cm )

I measured that in cmīs, so I hope I didnīt make a mistake when calculating the inches... the cmīs are accurate.

I also took three pics with the digicam..

No.1: A shot of my left hand. Several people have commented on the placement of the thumb... some thought it was a bit weird. I dunno =)

No.2: My hand resting on the fretboard in normal position, being relaxed.

No.3: The widest REALISTIC stretch I can do... 2nd to 7th fret on the A-String. By realistic, I mean a stretch that I can use while playing, under normal or stage circumstances. My thumb has to be behind the neck, parallel to it, and the neck has to point upwards in a 45 degree angle for me to feel comfortable doing this.
    I could maybe stretch a bit further, but that wouldnīt be too comfortable or "usable"

OK, and a video, just for the heck of it:

Real Media:
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...deo/stretch.rm

Windows Media:
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...eo/stretch.wmv

In that video, I am playing a tapping-thingy, rather similar to the end of "Spanish Fly"... I am stretching from 2nd to 6th and from 2nd to 7th fret here, just to show you what I mean by "realistic" and "comfortable".
    Stretching further would probably involve pain or weird body poses =)

I dunno whether this is of interest for you or helps, I just did those pics and the video quickly and threw em in.
    Warm regards
    Eric
    Last edited by EricV; 03-18-2004 at 01:24 AM.

ok I'm bored so I thought I'd contribute

A:11 cm (4.4")
    B: 8.8 cm (3.5")
    C: 8.6 cm (3.4")

Note: the conversion to inches is rough

Leah
    Last edited by LHSV; 03-18-2004 at 03:35 AM.

Central Scrutinizer
    A= 4 1/4 " (10.79 cm)
    B= 3 1/2" (8.89 cm)
    c= 3 1/8" (7.9 cm)

Always new that ruler would come in handy for something.

Chris, that was an excellent artical BTW
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

A = 10.5 cm (4.13 inches)

B = 9 cm (3.54 inches)

C = 9.5 cm (3.74 inches)

Having tall fingers isn't always a good thing, I have almost no control on thinner necks , plus, my finger are very thin and weak.

My fingers look very much like Eric's, tell me man, did you every find them to be weak out of the ordinary? Or is it just me?

Weak out of the ordinary ? No, not really. I worked on my legato technique a lot early on, though, so maybe that helped.
    The only problem I notice is that if I do a lot of bar chords on an acoustic guitar ( thick neck ), my left hand still gets tired quickly... I dunno if that is out of the ordinary.
    Eric

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    I worked on my legato technique a lot early on, though, so maybe that helped.
    I don't understand legato (on guitar) very well, and don't understand how your answer here relates to the question. Can you explain a little?
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Hey Bongo
    He was asking whether I feel as if my fingers are weak sometimes.
    Now, ever since I picked up the electric guitar, I have been using a lot of legato-technique, such as hammer-onīs and pull-offīs, being inspired by Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani.
    And since those techniques require a bit more strength from the left hand, I think using them that much helped to build up strength and stamina.

By the way, did you read my post in the "Ideas" thread ?

Eric

5 years, still suck.. Leviathon's Avatar
    OK.

I think tonight (if after I get home from an all night Halo (xbox) party) I am going to have some pictures made and post em of my left hand making some stretches.

After watching Eric's video, I have to show everyone my stinkin' retarded pinky finger. It curves into my ring finger and is not straight. So when I try and make those stretches, I lose about a 1/4 of an inch or more. And sometimes, I start to pop the last knuckle out of joint when making wide stretches.

Example - I have been downloading some of the licks and runs from the licks and runs threads and I believe the very first one that Thorsten posted has a crazy stretch in it that I can't do. I am hoping that my hand will stretch eventually...

...and here is my hand:
    A: 11,5 cm (4,5 ")
    B: 9,5 cm (3,7 ")
    C: 9 cm (3,5 ")

Metric rules!

Hmm oook.
    A 5"
    B 3 1/2
    C 3 1/2

I feel weird now... my hands have a weird proportion!!
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Thanks Eric! I was hoping that you'd respond & do something like you did in your post. Thanks for the pictures & video. Thanks to everyone who responded. Guni, you ought to make a spot on the member profile for finger dimensions.
    "An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight) [The Tick]

Here we go then :

A - 11cm
    B - 10cm
    C - 8.8cm
    D - 7.5" (wink wink !)

Daz

11cm
    9cm
    8.5cm

5ft 10" tall, reckon I have nice sized hands, slimmish with longish fingers. Interesting point: Read dexterity studies coz they seem to show that people with smaller hands have more dexterity than people with large hands, (except Allan Holdsworth obviously

Dean o Zepology, Emeritus zeppenwolf's Avatar
    A 10c5
    B 10cm
    C 8c3

A could also be 10, if I chose a more conservative place to measure. That line/wrinkle which OP chose to measure from is quite well defined on his hand, (in that picture), but is not in mine. Or really, it's almost as well defined, but it's not "in the same place". I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it's the best I feel like doing right now.

Choice of metric over American is a matter of available ruler, not politics.

FWIW, my hands are the same exact size as Jimmy Page's, and they are substantially larger than Angus Young's. To be fully accurate, they fit exactly, and I mean really exactly, in the handprints Page left in the "Rock Walk(tm)" in front of GC(tm) Hollywood, and I could not possibly fit them in Angus' prints. I can't describe a comparison to anyone elses hands as I didn't bother to try them.

Eden
    Official iBM FAQ Short Form EZ:
    Q: What kind of amp do I need?
    A: Fender Blues DeVille 4x10, Feb 1994
    Q: What kind of guitar do I need?
    A: Hamer Vintage S, 1992