Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: its getting me down why am i crap

Unhappy its getting me down why am i crap

Hey guys erm I was wondering if any one had any advise for me as I have been playing guitar for about 6 months and get lessons and so do my friends, they havenít been playing as long but there learning all this theory and are getting much better than me. Also when we jam they rip good solos and mine are crap manly because I cart think what to do or because Iím hitting dead notes or been really clumsy and the more I mess up the more I think there laughing at me and it really gets me down. I just think like quitting so any advise would be appreciated thanks
    whaheyyy its luke

Hey Luke

Hey Luke,

Personnaly id recomend learnig the pentatonic scale in all five postions as this will provide a solid basis for you to begin soloing with. If your teacher has not already introduced you tro this scale then i would definatley ask him about it becuase it is in my opinion, THE most important scale in Rock guitar(which i assume is your preffered style). Try learning 2 patterns per week, and attempt to improvise using these patterns. There are thousands of well known licks availiable that are based around this scale ad learning a few more licks will only beneift you when it comes to SOLO time. In terms of technique and hitting dead notes, well try and takes things slow and focus on being as accurate as possible. If you practice hammer-ons,pull-offs,slides and bending, then you will feel much more confident when navigating the fretboard...

Hope this helps and remember, If your willing to put in the time, rewards will come quicker than you can imagine.

First off RELAX. You should be playing guitar because its fun. Its not a competition of who can learn the most theory or who can play the fastest licks. I've been playing on and off for about 12 years or so and I'm not very good either. I've often had the same feeling as you do right now. So I can relate to how you feel. Just go at your own pace. Maybe you're trying to learn EVERYTHING all at once. Vitobratta (great guitar player by the way ) said learn 2 pentatonic patterns a week. Nothing wrong with that but I would say, heck just learn 1 for now, but really LEARN it. Go slow and really learn it. Even if it takes you a week to learn it. Start slow and learn where all the 'key' notes are in this one pattern. You don't have to be able to play it at Yngwie speed. And only when you TRULY feel comfortable playing this pattern then learn another pattern. Like I said before maybe you trying to learn too much too quickly. So you're kinda just halfass learning bits and pieces of stuff that may be too advanced for you right now. Start with the basics and don't build on the basics until you're comfortable.
    Don't worry about if you think your friends are better than you. Alot of it depends on how much you practice and there will ALWAYS be someone who you think is better than you. But its NOT a competition. Relax.

And how are your friends better than you in what way? There has been much discussion here about who is the best guitar player. Other people can probably put it more eloquently than me but its impossible to say who is the best. Music is a subjective thing. Best at what? Best sweep picker? Best legato player? Best rythym player? Best improviser? Best song writer? Best alternate picker? I mean I think I could alternate pick a scale faster and sweep pick faster than B.B. King (at least I pretty sure I could . So do I think I'm a 'better' player than him because I can do something he can't. HELL NO.
    so relax you're not in a competition.

great words flathead i agree entirely with you. you couldn't put it in better perspective
    Do you remember Eagleheart? That's Me...

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    i think it can be healthy to be competitive with your friends when it comes to guitar playing - i know i have always been determined to be 'the best' amoung my friends, and its been a good source of motivation to get good at all kinds of stuff.

when i started playing i was progressing slowly and taking things at a pretty relaxed pace - maybe practacing for about half an hour everyday moving up to a couple of hours after two years or so. but then a load of my friends got guitars for christmas a year ago and since then have been progressing alot faster than i ever did - this motivated me to really concentrate on playing alot more, without this new mentality, i'm sure i wouldnt have passed grade 6 last year.

however you seem to be taking a 'half empty' perspective of 'why arent i as 'good' as them? i'm gonna quit!' when you could be taking the 'half full' perspective of 'look how good theyre getting, i'm gonna practice more!'
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

luke, you call yourself crap cuz you never saw me playin i really suck but i dont give a **** because i can play some songs i always wanted to. whenever you feel like crap get one song that you can play that you really really dig close your eyes and imagine you're in a concert with girls flashing their tits to you. that must bring you up
    Do you remember Eagleheart? That's Me...

Relax...6 months of playing the guitar is really NOTHING. Don't put yourself under pressure too much. Good things take their time to ripe.
    I've been playing for many years but some things I learned only recently (the great education on this web site helped a lot!) and I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleheart
    imagine you're in a concert with girls flashing their tits to you. that must bring you up

lol when all is said and done it all comes back to one thing, girls

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    1. Relax.
    2. Go slower.
    3. Pay attention to details.
    4. Go slower.
    5. Practice.
    6. Go slower.
    7. If you you make a mistake, stop, then
    8. Go slower.
    9. Practice.
    0. Proceed to Step 1.

Rant Mode ON.

I've been playing for over 2 years and still can't play jack, BUT, I can play it WAY better than I could 2 years ago. Without question in my mind my greatest triumph is that after two years, I'm still playing the guitar and have no intention of stopping. That is, for me at least, 98% of the game.

As Andy Warhol (or George Patton) once said, "Eighty percent of success is showing up."

...and as many popular state lotteries say, "You can't win if you don't play."

Get frustrated, disappointed or angry with yourself or compare yourself to others too much and you may find you hang it up. Decide NOT to do those things--you're in control.

Get a recording device--one of those Korg, Boss or Tascam recorders. Record the best of your practice sessions and file those recordings away, then listen to work you did a week ago. If you followed ANY of the steps above, you will see improvement, and that's ALL you should be looking for.

Rant Mode OFF.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

John Scofield, after 30 years guitar, "I think I'm just beginning to understand this instrument."

Les Paul, after 65 years of guitar, "If you're just starting out, my advice is that you'd better be determined enough to sacrifice a million hours practicing." and "...don't even attempt it unless you're going to enjoy it."

Decide to enjoy the journey or don't make the trip, because the destination will have changed by the time you get there.

Competition can be good but in my opinion not necessarily for a beginner.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

And I really liked Bongo Boy's posts.
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

Never call yourself crap. You might consider using a word 'beginner'? I mean it. I know this kind of depressive state of mind when you take your guitar, pick a wrong note and say - 'I told you my playing sucks'.

I remember somebody's signature here on forums. It said something like 'Wrong note? No - just b9 in the bass'. I love it.
    Relax, man.

Warm regards and good luck to a future great player Luke_hull,
    Zatz
    Last edited by Zatz; 03-23-2004 at 10:32 AM.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

And I really liked Bongo Boy's posts.
    me toooo!!!

bongo boy is definately the one to listen to you when you lost track in the dayly guitar insanity. he'll reminds you on your humanity.

let's go and have a beer bongo.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom
    let's go and have a beer bongo.
    You don't have to ask Bongo twice when it's beer you'd be talkin' about. Thanks.

In the same theme, I just read Steve Vai from this month's Guitar World:

"I'm not naturally gifted; I had to work very hard to develop my chops and techniques."

So there you have it...a guitarist's guitarist comin' at you in shorts and quarts. I'm not convinced Vai is such a humble man, but I also don't think he bull****s, either. So...after you've indulged yourself for a few moments and done the 'poor, poor pitiful me' thing (I think we ALL do), then it's time to get up against the wall:

"Shut up an play yer guitar."
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 03-24-2004 at 02:13 AM.

Talking chears guys

thanks a lot for all your uplifting statment chears
    whaheyyy its luke