Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to stay up late

Eric, I fully hear ya. I'm getting over strep throat, and it's been kicking me hard over the past week. How did I get it? Not enough sleep, and too much guitar... and considering it's 1:22am here, I'd better get to bed!
    Sakkaku
    -Gitarrenmeister-

People often donīt realize how much a lack of sleep or a lack of food ( or bad food ) can affect you and your ability to do stuff.
    This concerns both physical abilities and mental stuff... focus etc.
    I did experiment with this stuff for a while... I think I have talked about the recording of "Hidden Creek" before... that day, I was very very tired ( 2 hours of sleep the night before, so within like 36 hours, I had about 3 hours of sleep ), I was hungry, hadnt eaten all day, and I had jammed with Thorsten for a few hours ( so I felt a bit empty regarding playing... after playing intensly for so long )
    Well, I decided to record "Hidden Creek" anyway, and the results surprised me a lot... I recorded the whole lead guitar in one take, and in the process, I came up with some melodies I had liked a lot. For some reason, I think the song turned out the way it is because of the state I was in...
    Reminds me of some of the experiments Vai used to do =)

Anyway, although the "Hidden Creek experience" was a positive one, I really think you should pay attention to your sleeping and eating habits.
    A lack of sleep can mess you up big time... you get cranky, it can mess up your timing and hearing, you canīt focus very well etc.
    It just isnt very healthy, and even though I do have periods where I donīt sleep enough at all, I try to in between sleep a whole lot. It just feels good when I do, and thereīs no sense in burning yourself out.
    Same goes for eating. I admit that I am not eating well most of the time... lots of fast food, candy and stuff. The fast food I eat because... well, sometimes I just donīt have the time ( or nerve ) to go shopping for groceries and cook that stuff.
    Well, ok, hereīs yet another weird thing about me:
    I do not enjoy eating a whole lot. I know a lot of people who do... they look forward to their meals, they take their time, they enjoy it.
    For me, eating is a burden. When I practice or write or record, and I feel that I am getting hungry, it kinda bothers me. I think "Dang it, I have to eat something". Feels almost like a weakness. And so I rush it, grab something to eat, eat it quickly, and go back to work.
    That ainīt healthy, so in between I try to take some time off, relax and enjoy the meal ( usually that is when I eat with my g/f ).
    And it feels good when I do. I notice that eating too quickly, or eatingonly junk food for too long can affect me quite a bit.
    Anyway, I am sorry for rambling, I guess that was way-too-off-topic.
    Eric

Asfar as writing music. I find it best to stay up late and write stuff. I'm not really wide awake and i"m nodding off every now and then but when I'm really tired is when my best stuff comes out. I'll tab it out or record it and then I'll pick up where I left off once I get some sleep.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Attention off topic...

"The effects of good music are not just because it's new; on the contrary music strikes us more the more familiar we are with it." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

- thanks oRg, this is the first time ever for me, to read some of goetheīs words translated into english...weird.

i drink a loooot of coke and red bull! it works fine for me!