Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: String Skipping & Chords

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar

String Skipping & Chords

In my Practice & Performance forum post re: Playing a Song, Gunharth suggested the following chord:

F#m5b7:

x
    x

I have to admit it: whenever I see chord fingerings that skip a string, I pretend I don't see them and find something else to do. I really don't know what to do with string 5 here--just let it get damped out with the finger that's fretting 6, or what?

I think I may be sliding into the first, inevitable "man I hate guitar" phase of my journey.

Central Scrutinizer
    I assume ya mean F#m7b5 (You do have a b7 but itís implied by the m7)
    Ya got F#-A-C-E there a basic Am chord with F# in bass

But to answer your question yea.
    You can fret that either using your thumb for the F# while finger 1,2,3 hold a basic Aminor shape. (which would be my personal choice)
    Or fret the F# with the second finger (1 on c, 3 on e, 4 on a)

Generally itís the finger above the note, but I often find myself kinna helping a bit with the finger below. Really either way so long ya kill it.

BTW if ya take that above chord (fingered using the thumb) and lift up the first finger
    Ya get a beautiful F#m11 or Asus2/F# chord.
    Trying going from Asus2 then drop the thumb on F# and play the F#m11 (very Purple Rain)
    Anyway kinna of neat little way to prac. Killing that note.

Another is 6 th string minor7th chords.
    Put your second finger on A (fret 5 string 6)
    Kill the 5th string
    Your 3rd finger now lays down across strings 4,3,2,1 at fret 5
    Might be easier at first to get the hang of it with this chord.
    Just experiment.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Central Scrutinizer
    Hereís the Am7 (the high A 1st string isnít really necessary donít worry if ya kill it)
    Hereís a AM7 (use finger 1 on the 6 string A, finger 2 on the 2string B, finger 3 on the 4 string G# and finger 4 on the 3 string C#)
    Kill the fifth string in both.

I think these are two of easier shapes to get a hang on killing strings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Thanks..I needed a little confidence boost here. Yes...that's F#m7b5, not some new translexic chord.

Do these techniques (for string skipping) apply equally to acoustic/classical and electric?
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 09-05-2002 at 02:56 PM.

Originally posted by Bongo Boy
    Do these techniques (for string skipping) apply equally to acoustic/classical and electric?
    Yes, Bongo in general they do. Muting unwanted sounds/strings is part of your daily life when playing the guitar.

A different way you could approach this F#m7b5:

the top 3 notes of this chord form an Am chord. Get used to a different fingering for this one first.

1 (1st finger)
    2 (4th)
    2 (3rd)
    x

Play each string on it's own to ensure it's ringing nicely.

Then focus on the high e-string. We wanna mute it by slighly touching it with our first finger, while still fretting the 1st fret on the b-string. So you will have to move it slightly to achive this - experiment....

Again, play all strings and ensure that the e-string is muted.

At last place the 2nd finger on the low E-string. This one slightly touches the A string to mute it.

x
    1 (1st)
    2 (4th)
    2 (3rd)
    x
    2 (2nd)

Play each single string (also the ones marked with x) and see if the resluts are fine - otherwise finetune your positioning.

Then repeat that from the start over and over again until you are satisfied with the result/. You can also do this with the chords that Bash suggested.

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

...and I think when you say "mute it SLIGHTLY" you mean don't mute it so much that you actually end up fretting it, right?