Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Words to Live By

Words to Live By

When I started learning how to play an instrument, my dad gave me his old guitar lessons book. It was an old beat up book from the early 80's, dirty black cover, and full of strange squiggles, lines, dots, and thingamawhatsits that were musical notation. The book itself never helped me much, infact a few years of frustration later I switched over to bass. However what was written on the inside cover by my dad's guitar teacher has stayed with me. These simple words are things I remember when I practice and have helped me alot.

"Remember Technique" and "Don't Look at Your Left Hand"

Anyone else have any inspiring words they recieved?

"You have what it takes. All that is left is to do what it takes with what you have."
    ---my guitar teacher on a card for my birthday
    "An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight) [The Tick]

"No one can play everything. Figure out what you want to play and focus on that" Abi von Reininghaus

"If you find out you have a problem with playing something, find that problem, isolate it, work on it and get rid of it" Steve Morse

Eric

"Don´t ever forget: when you´re playing music, someone is listening"
    -- Mick Goodrick

"Never give up, you have it"-My father

those single 6 words are what have kept me trying......and i also dont think they would have been as improtant had they not been from my father....

"you should really become one of those people who writes and plays music... you're good"

from an 11 year old girl who heard me practicing while she visited my little sister... she died a month later in a plane crash.

"Less is more" is BS. It is scientifically impossible for less to be more. Less may be APPROPRIATE at certain times, but LESS IS NEVER MORE!

---My teacher
    "An object at rest CANNOT BE STOPPED!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight) [The Tick]

"practice makes perfect... more practice makes more perfect" - Paul Hanson

"don't always play that fast stuff on those high frets, there is not enough space! look, the chords & melody sound better in the lower frets! it's like having a clearer, more understandable voice while talking to someone" - Joe Pass

both were right and helpful.

practice makes perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

---???

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Actions speak louder than words, so the occaional stunned looks on my friends faces is plenty of motivation for me.
    ..Hey it's better than the politely restrained 'that wasn't so good' face from when I started playing 4 months ago.
    "Whichever way you go, someone is going to tell you you're wrong. My point is that you should just go with your heart and just play what you want to play and not listen to what's fashionable or what's trendy at the moment."
    -Kirk Hammet

"Less is more refers to....less clutter = more space!" - me

"In space no one can hear you scream" - some movie

"Silence is golden" - some dude

"If you can't sing anything nice shut the F* up!" - me
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

You know, I think the greatest thing happened last night. My mom just got back from a trip and we were up late talking about things and whatever, and um... somehow we got on the subject of a music school and how expensive it would be. Anyways, my mom said *clears throat*:

"You know, if there's something that really makes you happy, and you're really passionate about it, then go for it. Don't worry about the financial part of it, or what others say. That's not for you to worry about. Just play, and enjoy doing it."

I guess, I mean, it's nothing big, but it's always amazing to hear someone say that to you when you kind of assume that they more or less don't care. Heh, I got all teary typing that up.

"Practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect" Jamey Andreas ( I think)

"The Metronome is your friend"- My old guitar teacher.

That statement has meant a lot to me over the years. I used to hate my little clicker, but I just kept saying the above phrase over and over. And it's so true! Your metronome's ONLY desire in life is to make YOU a better player! He/she's your friend! Talk to him/her! Tell him/her about you problems, desires, needs...ANYTHING! The relationship you built with your 'nome is one of the greatest things you can develop. He/she will NEVER, EVER let you down.

And..of course....

"You have unleashed the ****** fury!" -Yngwie Malmsteen
    click....click....click...click...

The Metronome Calleth

"No pain no gain" practice till you feel the pain