Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: an article idea

an article idea

Lately I've been told i need to start thinking about what to do with my life. So now it's up to me to find a college to attend. I've pretty much made up my mind that Berklee is the place I need to be going. Though, I dont know exactly what I need to go. I've even been considering attending GIT for a year to obtain a certificate before heading off to Berklee. The main purpose for this being, when i get to Berklee and am paying big money to be there i dont want to be fooling around, or unprepared.

This is where I think a good article could pick up. I decided not to bring to the forums yet another tired "tell me about berklee" or "what college is right for me" thread, seeings how there are so many. I thougth it might be easier for everyone if one of the generous and overqualified (brown nosing) columnists here could finally lay down for all of us inquisitive 17 year olds what exactly is behind those pearlly berk gates, what it is you really need to know, what a good plan in planning for it is, what other schools might be good choices, what you'd learn, how going to school as compared to not attending can effect your career, what you learn, what you dont learn, what you need to have learned prior to your learning. There has to be alot to tell, and i think ALOT could be answered.

It's just a thought. I think it could be rather helpful for all up and coming musicians.

Thanks,
    Tyler Oakleaf
    -Oakleaf
    Hidden Content the world's fastest growing collection of music lessons.

Hi Oakleaf - great idea!

I'm just wondering how we could approach something like this, as I am pretty sure that if it was written by one person, it may be very subjective and likely to be biased.

So, how about a few 'case studies' by different authors. Myself and Steve Carter could certainly cover the Berklee side of it - Eric, ChrisJ, etc ... the GIT side ... although I'd think that the main focus of the articles should be on motivation, goals, prerequisites, recommendations, disappointments, etc etc etc ....

To get this thing started and b4 asking the authors we should setup a rough 'table of contents' - an outline of all the questions you and all the other 'inquisitive 17 year olds' might have. You already mentioned a few of them ....

Well, guys ... shoot!!! - post all of your questions in here - let's collect all of them in this thread and I'll look into getting as many answers and aspects together as possible.

Cheers,

Guni

ok, some questions then.

Well, I think most people who are considering a musical school are a bit curious as to what they need to know, what they'll learn, and how it will help them after they're done.

To start off with,

Why go to a musical school as opposed to just going out and playing guitar?
    What are the benefits? Drawbacks?

What do you get out of it?

How much do you need to know about guitar to attend and not feel like you’re doing hurdles in the Special Olympics? (Do you need to be a Satch or a Vai to attend?)

What should people planning to attend be studying guitar-wise?

What school is right for you? For someone else?

Once you get into a school, what does it take to get through it?

Campus life? What are your peers like? How intimidating is it?

What part of school helped you the most? The least?

Recommended classes/ fields of study/ things you should DEFINITELY do while you’re there?

What type of degree do you need type of schooling do you need to go somewhere in life?

Once you get out of school, how do you manage to pay of that huge debt you got now? What type of work can a guitarist get now that he’s got that $100,000.00 education?

Where to go with life now that your done with it?

These are all just some ideas. I’m probably missing a lot, I haven’t done it yet and that’s why I’m on this end of the computer. But that’s some of my curiosity. The biggest issue ringing out in my mind has always been that “are you good enough” thing. But hopefully there are enough of my worries here to give you something to work with. Thanks for considering my request!

Tyler Oakleaf
    -Oakleaf

Here are some more questions:

Is it good to go if you're more of the songwriting type?

Is the knowledge you gain at berklee accessible in books or on the internet?

People always say that the best thing about berklee is making contacts... How easy is it to make contacts? How one on one is it with the instructors?

How did you make the decision to go into one of the riskiest professions?

How would a full time education at Berklee compare to going to a regular college and then taking classes (or the berklee summer programs)?

Is it possible to get good lessons in two instruments... say voice and guitar?

Is there a rule about playing loudly at night in the dorms?

Does berklee theoretically prepare you, or do the performance opportunities help as well? Along with that: How would studying music at Berklee compare to writing your music and touring in benefiting you musically and your music career?

Will Berklee really make you that much better?

I'm sure I'll think of more later

good ideas snufeldin! thank you
    -Oakleaf

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Other questions you may wish to address:

"Just how friggin' cold IS IT in Boston in February?"
    "Did Boston ever figure out how to move all of its streets underground without destroying the city entirely?"
    "Just how hard IS IT to listen to that accent, day in and day out? You know, 'Lets get in mah cah and go to the bah.'"
    "Is it actually possible to get from point A to point B in Boston without paying off a few cops and firemen and without taking out a loan for the cabbie?"
    "Does Berklee actually HAVE dorms?"
    "If I play my guitar too loudly, how much will it cost to pay off a few cops and firemen?"

I love Bah-stun, really I do.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Guni,
    are you gonna collect those questions and send them out to the authors you want to participate ? Think we should put the answers into an article ?
    Eric

Yes, that's the idea. So, it's about collecting facts combined with personal experiences, expectations, etc ....

Let's give it a few more days then I'll collect all of the questions stated in this thread (plus earlier discussions we had about this).

Bongo Even though I'm used to winter weather here in the Alps I gotta say that those poor Bostonians do have a bloddy cold winter time - I've never experienced such icy winds .... so, here's my first advice for anyone thinking about going to Berklee. Get a room or apartment as close to Berklee as possible - winter is just one of the reasons for this ...

...so you figured out the reason I went to North Hollywood instead of Boston there
    I guess they don´t have earthquakes in Boston though
    Eric

just gonna check and see if this idea's still in action
    -Oakleaf

Hi Oakleaf,

Yes, we're still on.

I will start contacting prospect authors today. This will take a bit ... I'll let you know how things are going.

Guni

hey i got some questrions too...now may not be an inquisitive 17 year old but i am an inquisitive 15 year old...so here are my questions..............

How do explain to family members that you want to study music and make it your profession?

(the reason I ask this is my parents are always saying "Guitar playing is a great hobbie, but you cant make a living at it." and they keep telling me i dont want to Major in music..so how do i explain this to them?)

How hard is it to get a scollar ship?

How much does it cost?

What is different from MI and Berklee?

Will I definately come out a better player by going to either of these schools?

What are some of the things i need to know before i go into these schools? (I think that one was already asked)

Can i go to any colleage and come out the same as if i went to berklee?

Thanks,

Ryan

Great questions, Ryan !!!

They'll go straight onto the list.

If there are more popping up just post them in here ...

Cheers,

Guni

thanks....I dont have any that i can think of as of right now....thanks again,

Ryan

Very good questions

I´ll have some free time available tonight, so maybe I could write something already and send it to Guni
    We´ll see
    Warm regards
    Eric

NP: STeve Morse - Major Impacts II