Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea for a group effort:

Hi guys,

Sorry, I indicated the picking for this asuming your all righthanded so I reversed the pickstrokes.
    Of course, Iīd start this with a downstroke too.
    Just try out your own version. Whatever feels comfortable and works for you is fine.

Using 16th note triplets I can play this at about 140 bpm cold. Warmed up and in "ready to go/ stage playing mood" (with the adrenalin giving me an extra boost) I could speed it up a few inches more...
    Iīd stop if I couldnīt hear the notes coming out cleanly anymore. Itīs better to play slow and clean than fast and sloppy.

I can play a few chords on a lefty stringed up guitar, everything else just sounds like free jazz...
    Thatīs great cause everytime I want some outside sounding stuff I just play my normal licks on a lefty guitar and there you have it ... instant free jazz! (just kidding folks! )

TK

Thorsten,
    Is that 140 mark for strict AP or your EP version?
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Thatīs the EP version. If anybody can do this with strict AP I bow down..."Iīm not worthy, Iīm not worthy..."

Seriously, I think even PG or Yngwie wouldnīt play this strictly alternate picked. It wouldnīt sound good at that tempo.

TK

Thorsten,
    You said 140 as sixteenth triplets, that would be 240 for the exercise the way I have it tabbed, Right?
    Do you not have to slow down a little for the DGB and GBE string groups?

Just for comparison purposes, what BPM could you do this at with strict AP? 200 maybe?
    Hidden Content

Who can play that at 140 as sixteenth note triplets??

James, no problem with the DGB and GBE groups. Once you have the fingerings for the patterns memorized, so you donīt have to look at the fretboard anymore to know youīre hitting the right notes, you can really concentrate on the picking. In fact, I find the upper strings a little easier to play, maybe due to the fact that Iīm lefthanded, I donīt know...
    But youīre right, the DGB group is really hard to memorize, thatīs just because we all know the guitar is such a weird tuned instrument.

Also, yeah, I think 200 bpm at strict AP is a realistic goal.

For anything faster youīd need a drill...

TK

Using 16th note triplets I can play this at about 140 bpm cold. Warmed up and in "ready to go/ stage playing mood" (with the adrenalin giving me an extra boost) I could speed it up a few inches more...
    This is a quote form a few messages up posted by Thorsten.

I have heard him, and I believe him. That is 840 note per minute or 14 notes per second! That is a formidable speed that anyone would be proud to achieve.
    Hidden Content

I'm still trying to break the 100 bpm barrier for sixteenth note triplet runs

Alrighty, i came up with a Power Tab of the C major patterns , the only way i can really play them , i don't do wide stretches , i used to, but i don't stretch 2 whole steps in a row ,i'd have to go and get an Ice Pack , if i did. so this is the way i'd play those scales
    Attached Files Attached Files

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Yeah...a lot of automatic weapons don't have cyclic rates that high.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

I'm confused about what constitues a beat. If we decide to think of szulc's tabs in 3/4 and each measure has three eighth note triplets, then 100 bpm means 100 quarter note bpm, or 300 notes per minute? If we think of them in 9/8, then 100 bpm means 100 eighth note bpm, or 100 notes per minute?

I think i really just realized how much i suck at guitar/music right now by reading all of your posts.....Ok i have a question i have been playin about 31/2 years to 4..should i know what triplets sextuplets are..... ......should i be able to play this at 140 BPM?

I am playin it in the 3/4 time later on guys,

Ryan
    Last edited by kramer_man; 02-08-2004 at 02:16 AM.

Well, I don't know if after 4 years you should be able to play that at 140 bpms(I'm guessing as sextuplets), but after 4 years of playing, you should probably know what triplets and sextulets are. If you don't, triplets are basically 3 notes to a beat, and sextuplets are 6, pretty straightfoward.

OK I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.....i just didnt know what they were called!!!..lol

Central Scrutinizer
    Not to sound pessimistic, but I don't ever expect to pick 16th note triplets at 140 bmp.

But I'm gonna try this anyway, cause after ya all see how slow I am your gonna feel a whole better about yourselfs
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam